Xe 300 sport

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Shaguar2019

Xe 300 sport

Post by Shaguar2019 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi everyone, been in a 160bhp diesel r sport for a while now, thinking of upgrading to the 300 sport,
There isnt much online regarding the sound of it,
On youtube ect,
Will you get pops and bangs from the exhaust?
Does anyone have any idle, rev or maybe Acceleration vids for me to have a nosey at till next week?
Thanks !!

JimmyH

Re: Xe 300 sport

Post by JimmyH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Exhaust will only pop and bang if you put hole in it.

R Sport 300 and S 300 are identical as far as engine goes. Mine is near silent under 99% of driving conditions. If in S and dynamic the it is a beast in sheeps clothing with great performance but it purrs (quietly) rather than growls.

The only thing you hear really is road noise. You hear the turbo above 3000 odd rpm. Silent and refined yes, but it lacks a sporty sound on the inside - not an issue for me but I am a 58 year old old fart.

Hope lack of noise is not a deal breaker for you as it is a great car.
XE R Sport 30t AWD, Loire Blue, MY19, full dynamics, 18 way seats, privacy glass. 25-10-2018. 2nd Jag.

1st Jag S type 2.5 V6. Sapphire Blue. New in Nov 2003 til Aug 2017. Armchair on wheels that cornered on rails.

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 pm

JimmyH wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 pm

R Sport 300 and S 300 are identical as far as engine goes. Mine is near silent under 99% of driving conditions. If in S and dynamic the it is a beast in sheeps clothing with great performance but it purrs (quietly) rather than growls.

The only thing you hear really is road noise. You hear the turbo above 3000 odd rpm. Silent and refined yes, but it lacks a sporty sound on the inside - not an issue for me but I am a 58 year old old fart.

JimmyH, you've hit the nail on the head there, my findings exactly, though the exhaust note is a little deeper when you put your foot down compared to my ex XE 240 portfolio (ford based engine). But yes, 300 Sport is an Awesome car.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 am

I think I now understand PhilB's reluctance to endorse the new 300 sport over the 340/380 S models. Noise.

The old V6 has had it's day as far as performance goes and JLR really need to develop a replacement if they want to keep up above 2l/300hp. Phil is likely choking on his cornflakes as he reads this (sorry Phil) :lol: I think I know the reason JLR have given up on the V6 but will not comment as it verges on politics.

I say this even though I have a jaguar bias and really don't care if the CIAs and FBIs are 1/2 second faster. It's about the overall experience, if you don't get it then you buy an Audi or BMW. If you do then you make your mind up the moment you sit in a Cat in the showroom.

Getting back on track the best way to describe the engine/exhaust noise is that it is divorced from

This is not an issue to me. Better the deeper but quiet tone than piped engine into the cabin over the stereo (sorry I am far too old and grumpy to call it infotainment) or skimping on the exhaust internals and cabin insulation.

It id probably a good thing that the exhaust note does not match the performance else JLR would need an HSE warning label requiring driver and passengers to fit ear plugs before engaging S and dynamic. :D
XE R Sport 30t AWD, Loire Blue, MY19, full dynamics, 18 way seats, privacy glass. 25-10-2018. 2nd Jag.

1st Jag S type 2.5 V6. Sapphire Blue. New in Nov 2003 til Aug 2017. Armchair on wheels that cornered on rails.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:44 am

JimmyH wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 am
I think I now understand PhilB's reluctance to endorse the new 300 sport over the 340/380 S models. Noise.

The old V6 has had it's day as far as performance goes and JLR really need to develop a replacement if they want to keep up above 2l/300hp. Phil is likely choking on his cornflakes as he reads this (sorry Phil) :lol: I think I know the reason JLR have given up on the V6 but will not comment as it verges on politics.
I will fully endorse the 300 as it's now the range topper but it's not just noise, it's the way the power is delivered (the extra 40 or 80 horses too :D ).
The thing with the V6 is that it was only introduced in 2013 so it's not an engine past it's sell-by date.
It will easily take being "adjusted" to 400hp and a couple on here have even gone beyond that.
There were suggestions it wouldn't get through the WLTP thing so that's why it was canned.
Total nonsense as it HAS got through the WLTP (on some emissions it was even cleaner than the 4 pot ingenium petrol before the WLTP started) and is still going strong in the F-Type.
The reason it was binned from the range apart from the F-Type is to reduce the overall C02 levels across the Jaguar range.
A bit like Aston Martin did with that daft Cygnet thing but on a bigger scale.
The thing that has gone quiet is the supposed straight six ingenium (supposedly in 400 and 500hp versions) that is/was under development and for which they spent a shed load of money on a new engine plant.
Probably find they are now going to use that to make batteries .
:roll: :lol:
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 am

JimmyH wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm glad to hear that - I learnt to drive and to use spanners back in the days when pops and bangs from the exhaust were a sign of sometning not set up right! :lol:

A decent exhaust note isn't a problem, though, but the advantage to a quiet motor is that it doesn't wake up SWMBO :mrgreen:
Waiting to retire, so I can buy a Portfolio 250, with all the toys I can sneak past SWMBO :lol:

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:59 am

I'm afraid I'm with Phil. I'll only buy a 4 cylinder car once there is absolutely no alternative.

Already thinking about my next one. Likely to be an 18 plate XE-S, a BMW 440, an RS5 or maybe even an Alfa Giulia Quadrofoglio. I can happily swap from coupe to saloon. But I have to have 6+ cylinders....
2016 XE-S 340

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Audi get 400hp from a 5 cylinder 2.5l hence comment re JLR V6. JLR did get 400hp out the V6 on the F Type 400 but I think it was a 1 year special. Tech moves real quick it seems.

Now that Phil opened the door on JLR dropping the V6 to reduce emissions accross the range.........it seems that policy is to the benefit of the big manufacturers who can put their badge on tweaked Polo or Mini lookilikies and et voila they comply (ok more difficult than that I know). JLR get it in the neck as they are only the upper end, and get it double due to the knee jerk on diesel fixing.

It looks like a case of bias regulation similar to that of Dyson and the 80W limit with bag empty that favoured traditional machines over new tech with overall life cycle saving, a case he won recently.

Surely it is better to have regs for each engine size and it is a level playing field for all and then turn the screw to reduce emmisions or to say do as you will for now but come 2032/40 it's a battery or nothing so spend your R&D budget making electric work. :roll:

Not that I am saying new electric cars have to be rated 80W like a vaccum.......or is that why Dyson is toying with cars?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:26 pm

If they want to reduce CO2 globally then they need to stop pointing the finger at passenger cars.
The thing is it's very easy to lay the blame at "us" and make us all feel guilty when in fact the real truth is far from clear cut.
The Aussie John Cadogan who is a bit like Honest John over here but with swearing has a series on YouTube and some of his stuff is pretty interesting and can destroy the myth that switching to EV's alone will save the planet.
(look on you tube under his name and add "Planet Savers").
Using the most generous criteria he worked out that if every passneger car in Australia was changed overnight to a Tesla 75, taking into account all the Co2 produced in extra elecricity generation and the manufacture of the new cars etc etc etc.
It would reduce the total CO2 produced annually by Australia by 4%.
That's a completely EV car country and a mere 4% reduction.
The truth is that whilst EV's can help reduce the impact, Industry, Electricity generation and construction are the real culprits.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 pm

True Phil and it probably does not take into account all the fossil fuels that would be burnt upgrading all the electrical networks country wide (power stations, grid, local lines cables and transformers right down to cabling to houses) to handle all the battery chargers required. It is all talk with little action as national interest always comes first.

But the range wide CO2 limits are the car giants trying to carve out a larger share of the luxury market by putting regulatory barriers in the path of smaller luxury car manufacturers.

National interests allways come first when regulations are made just as sure as I turn the oil fired central heating on when I get cold.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”