Doesn't use oil.

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Bazzamf

Doesn't use oil.

Post by Bazzamf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:07 pm

I have a petrol 200 Ingenium engine with just over 10,000 miles on the clock. I had it serviced last June, about 7000 miles ago and since then I have checked the oil level several times and it has not moved. :D Remarkably the colour of the oil is almost the same as when it was first changed, a bit different to my previous car, where the oil would be black after only a few miles. :D There is obviously something very special about this synthetic oil that the car uses apart from the price as it's also very expensive. The annoying thing is that I bought a litre of oil to top up with few months ago and obviously wasted my money, as I haven't needed it. :evil:
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

XE123

Re: Doesn't use oil.

Post by XE123 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:36 am

It's amazing how little modern engines use. Modern engines can have tolerances that are seriously tight, such as oil gallery holes that have +/- 6 microns etc. 6 microns being 1/10th the size of an average human hair.

Crank shaft tolerances / cylinder bore tolerances are almost as tight as well.

With such close tolerances you can get away with very thin engine oil and still not end up burning loads off. Better efficiency as the thin oil has less resistance to movement and better emissions as you aren't burning up oil as well.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue 25t R-Sport :)

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 am

Couldn't agree more. I'd say my last 3 new cars would cheerfully go from one service to the next without requiring a drop of oil or at most 1 litre and looks as if the Jag could be heading the same way. Interesting observation in regards the viscosity of the oil as on a BMW forum I also frequent there are a number of owners who "increase" the oil viscosity as their cars age. I guess there maybe some logic here but out of all the cars I've had, the Jag has a seriously thin oil and I often wonder how Jaguar achieve this.
I bought 4 litres of Petronas oil and was amazed how much it sounded like I had water in the container and not oil! Given I now know the oil consumtion is extremely low I think I may well attempt an oil change to simply save wasting the oil I have already bought.

XE123

Post by XE123 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 am

BRC wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 am
Couldn't agree more. I'd say my last 3 new cars would cheerfully go from one service to the next without requiring a drop of oil or at most 1 litre and looks as if the Jag could be heading the same way. Interesting observation in regards the viscosity of the oil as on a BMW forum I also frequent there are a number of owners who "increase" the oil viscosity as their cars age. I guess there maybe some logic here but out of all the cars I've had, the Jag has a seriously thin oil and I often wonder how Jaguar achieve this.
I bought 4 litres of Petronas oil and was amazed how much it sounded like I had water in the container and not oil! Given I now know the oil consumtion is extremely low I think I may well attempt an oil change to simply save wasting the oil I have already bought.
To be honest my 20 year old Peugeot doesn't burn a lot, but that's on 10w40 oil which is much thicker so it's swings and roundabouts really.

As for the 4L of Petronas you have, is that enough? I would expect them to hold more around 5.5l or something?
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue 25t R-Sport :)

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

XE123 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 am

To be honest my 20 year old Peugeot doesn't burn a lot, but that's on 10w40 oil which is much thicker so it's swings and roundabouts really.

As for the 4L of Petronas you have, is that enough? I would expect them to hold more around 5.5l or something?
Yes you are absolutely correct and I believe in theory it needs 6 litres so I will buy another 4 and I'll have some spare which I doubt I'll use anytime soon. :)
Least oil burnt was in my 2009 Insignia, used to sound and vibrate like a tractor but actually proved to be a good drive and extremely reliable. If I recall it was serviced every 9K miles and never required a drop of oil. I can also see someone is clearly looking after it and it has passed every MOT since I chopped it in over 6 years ago.

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:08 am

My last 180D XE did nearly 70k miles without needing a drop of oil (apart from the changes every 21k miles), so I've got a 1l top-up bottle unused.

Hoping the XE-S is the same so I've not bothered buying a top-up bottle, yet.
Jaguar XE S [380PS] | Jaguar F-Type R [550PS] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 pm

My previous car had a VAG 1.8tsi petrol engine. Max oil consumption allowed was 0.5l/1000km. I was ok, mine did about 1/5 of that, but plenty of other owners had far worse consumption than mine.

It makes a change to not have to constantly check the dipstick!
Corris Grey 25D AWD R-Sport

Kushanku

Post by Kushanku » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 pm

I also had an Audi A4 1.8tsi petrol. For 8 years from new. Used a lot of (fully synthetic) oil from new. When I mentioned it to the dealership they pointed out the 0.5l/1000km in the handbook. I wasn't using that much, but not far off. I think high consumption is a feature of VAG petrol engines. I'm doing lower mileages in my XE (a 200 petrol Ingenium). Similar to Bazzamf about 18 months old and just over 10k miles. It had an oil change at its first annual service but I've never had to top it up myself.
Kushanku

XE Portfolio 200PS Ingenium Petrol
Metallic Yulong White with Sienna Tan interior and Satin Ash Burr Veneer.
Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Sound System, Parking Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Split Folding Rear Seat, Spare Wheel

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”