I've had it with this car

All Jaguar XE related discussions
fideba

I've had it with this car

Post by fideba » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Today, when I took an exit of the highway, suddenly, I couldn't press my clutch pedal down (it's a manual).
In a reflex (80km/h), I put the car in neutral, and had no way in selecting another gear. I managed to reach the emergency lane just (10 meters) before it ended. If I drove another 20 meters, I would have been stranded in a corner, with 100% guarantee of someone hitting my car.
I tried to restart the car. Couldn't press the pedal. Strange engine sound. And then... "bleep", the "car engine trouble" light switched on. As if I didn't know.

My car (2015) has been in repair for 7 times now, in total at least 10 weeks. I love the way the car drives, but let's be honest: quality is crap (at least my car). The event today simply was a life threatening situation. Totally unacceptable.

To make matters worse: I'm 4 months past my guarantee period. If this results in a major defect/cost, I'm going to court.

And then, as if this wasn't bad enough, when I pushed the assistance button, they told me that my Jaguar Assistance subscription expired. I did get a few mails, asking me to extend my In Control and "Optimized Jaguar Assistance" subscription. Which I did. However, this simply enables the button to call Jaguar Assistance. It does not extend the Assistance service itself. Excellent...

I do hope it's a small defect, have no clue what it could be... but I've lost all confidence in the car and brand. My very last bit of doubt whether I would choose an iPace or an Audi E-Tron is now gone...

Anyone had similar problems ?

capese21

Re: I've had it with this car

Post by capese21 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Sudden cutting out is horrid and what BMW recalled thousands of cars for but that was electrical. Yours sounds like the clutch cable has snapped?? What were the 7 times in repair for? Same thing? Dont want to be rude but why a manual it seems an odd combination in a premium car?? Not many manuals sold compared to autos so not sure anyone else will have had similar.

Quality isnt "crap" but any make of car can have problems.

I agree once a brand of car lets you down best to have a change. Its all about trust!!

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 am

Sorry to hear about your problem, that’s never good.hope it gets resolved soon and is something simple.

To be honest judging from your previous posts you are pretty negative towards every aspect of the XE, from the uncomfortable seats, the lack of heated seats, the communications, the interior etc. It does sound like you should move to another car, maybe spend more time testing before ordering and put a bit more money in to get a spec you are happy with.
Waiting on an R-Sport, 250 PS Petrol in Santorini Black. :lol:

robertW

Post by robertW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 am

What was the mileage on the car when the clutch failed?
All of my cars have had a clutch failure at some time in higher mileages. Usually there are warnings signs for a day or two, giving time to get a repair quickly but I had one fail suddenly when used while under high power.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

fideba

Post by fideba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 am

robertW wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 am
What was the mileage on the car when the clutch failed?
All of my cars have had a clutch failure at some time in higher mileages. Usually there are warnings signs for a day or two, giving time to get a repair quickly but I had one fail suddenly when used while under high power.
60.000 KM. A bit too early for clutch failures, in my opinion :-) . What kind of warning signs did you get ?

fideba

Post by fideba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 am

capese21 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm
Sudden cutting out is horrid and what BMW recalled thousands of cars for but that was electrical. Yours sounds like the clutch cable has snapped?? What were the 7 times in repair for? Same thing? Dont want to be rude but why a manual it seems an odd combination in a premium car?? Not many manuals sold compared to autos so not sure anyone else will have had similar.

Quality isnt "crap" but any make of car can have problems.

I agree once a brand of car lets you down best to have a change. Its all about trust!!
I couldn't help smiling when I read your post. I initially ordered a manual, and asked to switch my order to automatic. However, according to my dealer, that would be a new order, pushing back delivery to September instead of June. So I kept my manual. Which was delivered... in September :-)

It's the first time I have this particular problem. The other repairs were a badly connected Turbo (Diesel fumes into the cabin), cooling fluid problems, problems with In Control (4 weeks repair), several times the engine warning lit up, ... I guess I have a "Monday morning car". And someone (a truck, probably), totaly scraped the left side of my car a few months ago while it was parked. I do not blame Jaguar for that :-) . In fact, it was perfectly repaired. Can't say a single bad thing about my dealer, service is excellent !

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 am

I had a clutch release bearing go on an Audi A5 that also meant I couldn't press the pedal down to select a gear, this was at only 45k miles. I had noticed in the previous few weeks the pedal seemed a bit harder to press but put that down to my imagination as my Wife said she didn't notice it when she drove it.

Anything mechanical can break at any time, although thankfully things tend to last longer now because of the more precise manufacturing process but some slightly inferior parts are bound to slip through sometimes. As an early model car perhaps more things slipped through than should have.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

fideba

Post by fideba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

mash101_98 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 am
Sorry to hear about your problem, that’s never good.hope it gets resolved soon and is something simple.

To be honest judging from your previous posts you are pretty negative towards every aspect of the XE, from the uncomfortable seats, the lack of heated seats, the communications, the interior etc. It does sound like you should move to another car, maybe spend more time testing before ordering and put a bit more money in to get a spec you are happy with.
I can see why you would think that way, but honestly, I think the car is gorgeous, and, when it drives, it drives like a dream. Best driving experience I've ever had.
Seats indeed were terrible for me, I've now learned that I really need lumbar support, but I had that installed by a third party, and haven't had any back issues since then.
I still think that the communications/GPS/... system isn't up to par with the other premium brands (still isn't in the I-pace for that matter).

With my previous car (similar priced Audi), I only saw the inside of the dealership when service was due (twice in the lifetime of the car).
I do think that spending 50K on a car should give me a reliable car. And that's simply not the case with mine.

fideba

Post by fideba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 am

147daytona wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 am
I had a clutch release bearing go on an Audi A5 that also meant I couldn't press the pedal down to select a gear, this was at only 45k miles. I had noticed in the previous few weeks the pedal seemed a bit harder to press but put that down to my imagination as my Wife said she didn't notice it when she drove it.

Anything mechanical can break at any time, although thankfully things tend to last longer now because of the more precise manufacturing process but some slightly inferior parts are bound to slip through sometimes. As an early model car perhaps more things slipped through than should have.
Interesting, sounds very similar. Any idea how much repair cost I'm looking at ?

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 am

With the Audi it was a Quattro and they had to drop the engine and gearbox. While it was apart they replaced the clutch as well. It cost around £700!
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”