Car hunting time!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
ChrisGB

Car hunting time!

Post by ChrisGB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:56 pm

So the hunt now begins in earnest, track car gone, space for XE 8-)

I'm looking for an XE-S, favourite colours are red or green. Green XE-S seem to be rare as rocking horse droppings and red ones not much more common.

I considered a black one, main dealer 380, ex Jaguar car, low miles, so went to have a look. First thing I noticed was uneven panel gaps bonnet to wing and boot to rear quarter. Poor rear bumper to rear quarter alignment, uneven door shut depth, polishing marks in paint. Interior was pristine though. Not great then, but lets try a drive in it as I hadn't driven one on 20" wheels. Initial impressions on the move where good. I couldn't believe something on such skinny sidewalls could ride so well and so quietly. It did feel heavier footed than I remember the 19" shod car to be, but not to the point of counting 20s out. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles anywhere too.

A couple of odd things though. On a high rev snap shut off of the throttle, the rear seemed to jink slightly to one side. On quick throttle applications, it would jink the other way. All this on a dry road around 40-50mph where traction shouldn't be an issue. It was keen to get a bit lively on light throttle mid corner too. Later on in the test drive, the TPMS pinged up a 35psi warning for the OS rear, I wonder if this was the cause of the wayward handling and lack of traction?

Here's hoping that this car was not representative of the market!
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Deleted User 4390

Re: Car hunting time!

Post by Deleted User 4390 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 am

Hi Chris, I'm also got an eye open for an XE-S, not quite ready to purchase yet. I might end up with a 300 sport though.

My F-TYPE is awful on cold days if tyre pressures are low or mismatched. The difference is quite remarkable on the P-Zeros even if just a few PSI out so I would suggest that might be the cause however get another test drive.

With the XE-S being a unique model (and no more after MY18) please do look into the history of the car. Like unique F-TYPE's such as 400s or SVR some cars end up as magazine cars or fleet cars and then reappear 9-12 months after they were manufactured as demo or nearly new. (I can check cars history if you PM me the reg).

Happy hunting!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am

British Racing Green was stopped prior to the My18 year.
Plenty of used 380's on the approved used site around the 30K mark on a national search which is the version I would suggest as the My18 had some nice touches.
Go for one with the Pro infotainment and with the digital dash if you can as that also has nice features.
As was mentioned above, there are a couple of 68 regs on there (most expensive ones) which aren't what they seem so a check on history is worth it.
You may have to be prepared to travel but there are some good ones out there with low mileage.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks for the info folks. I'm trawling the approved website on a very regular basis. Only two red ones in there when I looked last, mostly black or grey though.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm thinking that a regularly used, privately owned 20,000 mile car may be a better bet than a 6,000 mile ex Jaguar car?

Deleted User 4390

Post by Deleted User 4390 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm

ChrisGB wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 pm
I'm thinking that a regularly used, privately owned 20,000 mile car may be a better bet than a 6,000 mile ex Jaguar car?
Both could be fantastic cars! If you are concerned with the ex Jag car then free feel to post or PM the reg plate and I'll lookup the VIN and history.

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:16 am

I know White isn't Red or Black, but there's a white XE-S at Inchcape Preston almost zero mileage ex-demo, for £35.5K. I would have bought it myself, but white is not for me, nor are 20" wheels. It's been advertised for a long time, and the price has gradually come down from more than £40K. They want to sell it!
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 am

G7DCW wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:16 am
I know White isn't Red or Black, but there's a white XE-S at Inchcape Preston almost zero mileage ex-demo, for £35.5K. I would have bought it myself, but white is not for me, nor are 20" wheels. It's been advertised for a long time, and the price has gradually come down from more than £40K. They want to sell it!
I've seen that, white is not for me, but a good deal for anyone that likes driving a fridge :D

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Much as it grieves me to say it, if I had early £30k's to spends on a 3 litre, 6 cylinder, sporting saloon I'm afraid my money would be going on something like this (68 plate delivery mileage):

Screenshot_20190122-201739_Auto Trader.jpg

2016 XE-S 340

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 pm

If I where going BMW, it'd be the M2, but while the M2 is more fun on a gnarly road, it is a chore of tyre noise and thump on a long cruise. 3 series is OK, but I'd take the Jag all day long. The last good 3 series I drove was the V8 M3.