Car hunting time!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Pongo

Re: Car hunting time!

Post by Pongo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 am

If I thought they were equally reliable, and well made, I'd agree with you and take the Jag too.

I've owned a 330i and an XE-S. With the 330i, even though I owned it when it was between 4 and 7 years old, I never got into it each time thinking to myself "I wonder what is going to go wrong today".....

The touch locking on my drivers side (both doors) has decided to stop working again today.....
2016 XE-S 340

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:47 am

:twisted:
Pongo wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 am
If I thought they were equally reliable, and well made, I'd agree with you and take the Jag too.

I've owned a 330i and an XE-S. With the 330i, even though I owned it when it was between 4 and 7 years old, I never got into it each time thinking to myself "I wonder what is going to go wrong today".....

The touch locking on my drivers side (both doors) has decided to stop working again today.....
I have to admit, the reliability element is the only question mark I have against the XE. I'm expecting later builds to be more reliable, but it's still something that is a nagging doubt. This is one reason why the Stinger GTS is still on the shortlist. 7 year warranty is nice, but Kia tend to not spend much time in the workshop.

Had time for a proper look through the Jag approved used cars last night. Nearly every 380 on there is an ex rental. The search continues.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 am

Mine has a two year Jaguar 'approved' warranty that expires September 2020. I can't see myself keeping the car after that point.

Shame really as it is a nice thing to drive. Jaguar are masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory......
2016 XE-S 340

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am

I'm sure the OP can make up his own mind from the experiences of other members and not just the one.
I've seen this before where an individual who is having issues (and yes that is unfortunate) tries to influence a potential owner because of the issue with their car.
I find it a very strange thing to do - because my one has issues they all have issues so nobody else should buy one.
Really?
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

spritely

Post by spritely » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 am

PhilB wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am
I'm sure the OP can make up his own mind from the experiences of other members and not just the one.
I've seen this before where an individual who is having issues (and yes that is unfortunate) tries to influence a potential owner because of the issue with their car.
I find it a very strange thing to do - because my one has issues they all have issues so nobody else should buy one.
Really?
Well said Phil - could not agree more. Everybody has a problem sometimes with a vehicle whether a Ferrari or a Skoda etc. Does not mean that they are all bad though.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm on my second XE, :D both have been/are reliable and have no more 'glitches' than my previous Fords or Vauxhalls, only reason the first one was sold was the deal i got from my dealer for the 300 Sport, Originally i also wanted an 'S', but there were no used 'S's to the spec i wanted, and Jaguar had stopped providing new ones for the UK, but the 300 Sport is very close, albeit it is 'only' a 4 pot 2 litre with 'only' 300 ps, :D , And as Phil says, every manufacturer, model, etc has its 'glitches', and my few (very minor, and quickly sorted), have not prevented me using it, (abusing it :twisted: ), If they where as bad as some people and some reviews in magazines make out, then i wouldn't have bought another one with my own money again. The problem with forums is more people complain about faults than those that don't with no problems.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:34 pm

......I only did it so when the OP comes on here in six months time with tales of woe I can say "I told you so".....:lol: (just kidding).
2016 XE-S 340

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Individuals’ perception of what is acceptable in terms of quality and reliability obviously depends on previous experience... if you’re used to having cars with ‘issues’ or ‘glitches’ then obviously Jaguar will seem no different to other brands but if you’re used to trouble free motoring and cast iron reliability from mid range Japanese cars then your expectations of a premium brand will be higher and hence disappointed
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:04 pm

It's in the nature of car forums to attract people looking for solutions to problems, so the picture on pretty much any car owner's club forum is going to be weighted towards a high frequency of issues.

I'm used to cars that just get on with the job, but the modified stuff is always an ongoing project! As long as the Jag isn't a pain, I'll be happy enough.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Harry Brown

Post by Harry Brown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 pm

PhilB wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am
Really?
Three months into ownership of my second XE after nearly three years with the first. No issues or problems with either, no need to re-visit the dealer, just three hassle-free years. Well, apart from that pillock t-boning me in the supermarket car park, but that's hardly a Jaguar quality issue. He was driving a BMW.

Conclusion: if you lack the capacity for rational cognitive function buy a Beemer (or Audi or Merc).

There you go, a positive contribution.
Then: XE R-Sport 240 ultimate black, jet/midnight blue, 19" silver venoms, heated front windscreen, powerfold mirrors

Now: XE R-Sport 300 AWD, Corris Grey, 19" black venoms, Black Pack, sunroof, Meridian 380, other stuff.