Has anyone noticed?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
PhilB

Re: Has anyone noticed?

Post by PhilB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:04 am

Just been out and on the way home was following (read being held up by) a car that is named exactly the opposite of what it really is.
Suzuki Swift.
:roll:
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 pm

That when washing the car, with the key in your pocket, it keeps locking and unlocking itself as you move around (not even anywhere near the door handles). Where do you keep your keys when your washing the car? I ended up chucking them on the front seat.

This morning I was stood at least 10 feet away, rinsing it with the hose, and it did it several times.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:28 pm

How about the LUPO? you must be LUPO to buy one. :lol: :lol:

Regarding the key fob thing of locking and unlocking, I have never experienced that are you certain something isn't touching the buttons on your pocket?
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:51 pm

It's quite a common thing with keyless.
If they are in your pocket then washing the handle with the mitt can be interpreted as a finger press and lock it up.
Also if you unlock the car and don't open it then it will lock itself again after a short period.
As has been said it's best to either have the keys well away or put them in the car as it can't lock with them inside.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 pm
That when washing the car, with the key in your pocket, it keeps locking and unlocking itself as you move around (not even anywhere near the door handles). Where do you keep your keys when your washing the car? I ended up chucking them on the front seat.

This morning I was stood at least 10 feet away, rinsing it with the hose, and it did it several times.
I also just throw the keys onto the seat for exactly the same reason.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:22 pm

PhilB wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:51 pm
It's quite a common thing with keyless.
If they are in your pocket then washing the handle with the mitt can be interpreted as a finger press and lock it up.
Also if you unlock the car and don't open it then it will lock itself again after a short period.
As has been said it's best to either have the keys well away or put them in the car as it can't lock with them inside.
Not sure if mine does that, it certainly got left unlocked all night once but I might have opened the door. Will have to check that out. I keep my key in a Faraday pouch.

Next silly question, what is this little black domey thing in the middle of the dash scuttle.

DSCN7206.JPG

j_family_jag

Post by j_family_jag » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 pm

That has happened to me too!! I'm not sure why though...
Son of the owner of a 2015 Jaguar XE Prestige 20t from Singapore

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:22 pm
Next silly question, what is this little black domey thing in the middle of the dash scuttle.
That has been discussed before.
Various suggestions, some of which had to be moderated out due to being filthy.
Truth is I don't think we ever got a definitive answer but it was agreed it's a sensor.
Alarm sensor most likely but also suggested to be a light sensor or various other sensors.
So it's a sensor..................apparently.
:D
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:38 pm

SUNLOAD SENSOR

The sunload sensor is installed in the center of the instrument panel upper surface and is powered by a 5 V feed from the HVAC.

The sunload sensor consists of two photoelectric cells that provide the HVAC with inputs of light intensity. One as sensed coming from the left side of the vehicle and one as sensed coming from the right side. The inputs are a measure of the solar heating effect on vehicle occupants. These inputs are used by the HVAC, to adjust blower speed, temperature and air distribution to improve comfort.

sun load sensor.jpg

aircon.jpg

Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Sounds sensor-ble enough to me! ;) ;)

Cheers Phil, it has locked itself again. I take it that's mostly for if the button does get accidentally pressed in your pocket, and you happen to be near enough, but don't notice.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”