Jaguar XE Forum banner

Face lift model

35K views 105 replies 32 participants last post by  JiggyJag 
#1 ·
Had a look at the new face lift model yesterday. Must admit I was quite excited as all the little tweaks to styling both inside and out that I would have liked to see on my 15 plate had been made. Love the new exterior styling especially the rear lights..(wonder if these could be fitted to an older xe?) Like the shifter replacing the rotary selector (for the auto) but overall, disappointedly underwhelmed with the interior. It's ok...just not my cup of tea. Love my 15 build R sport steering wheel....really didn't like it's replacement. Seemed a step back in design to me...reminded me if my dads 2011 XF! Seemed way to much gloss black touch screen stuff (dust andfingerprintt magnet) liked the less expensive led display (with the half dials for speed and revs) Still feel that jlr are missing a trick. I couldn't justify parting with the considerable extra cost over a good low millage later build. Be interested in your thoughts

G
#2 ·
I would like to have had it a bit more retro with the dials in the instrument panel. I like the new set up but would like to have seen electronic AMP meter, oil pressure guage and possibly a vacuum guage. All out of fashion now but very much old car Jaguar that may be nice in the new cars, I do like the new interior mirror but am quite happy with my auto dimming version. Sadly the one I drove only had basic seating and it was noticable compared to my multi function seats. One worry would be the lower front end over these speed humps that seem to be getting installed on all roads around my area.

#3 ·
It's the latest roll out of the common JLR parts bin.
Good or bad depending on your view.
The duo screens are in the Velar, new Evoque and now the XE.
Having driven a new Evoque I have to say I didn't find any problems adapting and in some ways they can be easier.
What came as a surprise was the way the new gear lever felt very easy and intuitive to use.
After 4 years with the rotary, I still find myself sometimes looking down to check the gears when going into neutral etc.
I also like the manual facility on it in addition to the paddles.
The rear mirror is amazingly good and fair play to JLR talking the lead with it.
The XE has reasonably good rear vision but it's one of those things that once you have used it you will probably never turn it off.
Main thing is interior quality has apparently taken a step up which is a good thing.

#6 ·
PhilB said:
The rear mirror is amazingly good and fair play to JLR talking the lead with it.
The XE has reasonably good rear vision but it's one of those things that once you have used it you will probably never turn it off.
The "mirror" wouldn't work for me.... :oops:

A real mirror has the reflection as far behind the mirror as the image is in front, so it is in focus through the distance zone on my varifocals.

When the "mirror" works as a screen, the image is in focus where the mirror sits, so I'd have to look through the bottom of my glasses to see the image in focus through the closeup section,

Obviously designed and tested by young folks with perfect eyesight and no grasp of the laws of physics :lol:

It is a nice trick, but it doesn't work for anyone with antique eyesight :roll:

It wouldn't stop me buying a Jag with it installed, but there is no way I'd pay for it!

#7 ·
Gojira said:
The "mirror" wouldn't work for me.... :oops:

A real mirror has the reflection as far behind the mirror as the image is in front, so it is in focus through the distance zone on my varifocals.

When the "mirror" works as a screen, the image is in focus where the mirror sits, so I'd have to look through the bottom of my glasses to see the image in focus through the closeup section,

Obviously designed and tested by young folks with perfect eyesight and no grasp of the laws of physics :lol:

It wouldn't stop me buying a Jag with it installed, but there is no way I'd pay for it!
Interesting point, I hadn't considered that.

#8 ·
The rotary dial worked fine in the first XF and the XK (which had it post 2009) but it was quite a but bigger than it is in the new XF, XE etc. Turning it was easy, with prominent "notches".

I never had to look down in my XFs or XKR but I found the smaller one in the newer jags fussier to use and easier to put in the wrong gear.

The stick from the f type takes some getting used to. You push a button for park and tipping it forward puts it into reverse. I put mine into reverse a number of times by mistake before I got used to it.

#9 ·
Gojira said:
The good news is that you can switch it back to a normal mirror by using the tab on the bottom of the mirror.
Just like the "old" manual dipping mirror tab.
I'm 60 and luckily have perfect distance vision but need to use glasses for reading and I didn't have an issue with it in camera mode.
:D

#10 ·
PhilB said:
Gojira said:
The good news is that you can switch it back to a normal mirror by using the tab on the bottom of the mirror.
Just like the "old" manual dipping mirror tab.
I'm 60 and luckily have perfect distance vision but need to use glasses for reading and I didn't have an issue with it in camera mode.
Lucky sod re the eyesight :lol:

I know about the switch, thats why I'd be happy to buy one with it fitted, but I wouldn't spec one from choice...

I don't think I'd better try and buy a fresh XE yet, though - I have -almost- finished running in the current one! :mrgreen:

#12 ·
Vespa said:
Ah Ha!!! You are entering the old fart zone. :lol: :lol:
"Old fart" is an attitude rather than an age thing.
About 9 months ago I had the old blood test thing and everything came back fine.
Doc said to me "you have the body of a 45 year old".
I said "Do you think I should give it back?"

#13 ·
I don't like the new interior. i love the rotary gear knob and the smoothish lines on the console. Now there are 2 big round things sticking out in the middle of the console. Looks horrible.

#14 ·
I've got to agree with Delboy on that gear stick. The rotary selector is one of the (many) reasons I like being in my XE. Drove a new auto Evoque the other day and really didn't like the gear selector.

#15 ·
Jay said:
I've got to agree with Delboy on that gear stick. The rotary selector is one of the (many) reasons I like being in my XE. Drove a new auto Evoque the other day and really didn't like the gear selector.
If it's the same as in the E Pace then I do agree with you Delboy. I had use of an E Pace for a short time and found the gear change awkward. Maybe it's just that I didn't have time to get used to it. However the rising gear knob is a great novelty and works for me.

#16 ·
Bazzamf said:
Jay said:
If it's the same as in the E Pace then I do agree with you Delboy. I had use of an E Pace for a short time and found the gear change awkward. Maybe it's just that I didn't have time to get used to it. However the rising gear knob is a great novelty and works for me.
I too like the rotary "puck". And whilst I agree it is a bit of a "novelty" as you call it, once you get used to it, it's easy to use. It also seems to impress most passengers who think it is really cool. It is nice to have a feature in your car that impresses others.

#17 ·
Mikeyjd said:
Bazzamf said:
Jay said:
I too like the rotary "puck". And whilst I agree it is a bit of a "novelty" as you call it, once you get used to it, it's easy to use. It also seems to impress most passengers who think it is really cool. It is nice to have a feature in your car that impresses others.
fwiw, I like the rotary too! :D

#18 ·
The rotary selector is the main reason I made sure I got a pre-facelift...

That and I'd have had to wait a lot longer :lol:

Has anyone taken delivery of a facelift XE yet? I haven't seen one mentioned on here, but the combination of retirement and a new blue toy means I might not have been paying enough attention :oops:

#21 ·
Overall I like the MY20 version. Only in R-dynamic HSE trim though. The normal seats do show how the old 18ways are superior but the HSE Sport 16ways seats are "luverly".
It's a shame they've removed the trim finishing strip that underlined the windscreen curve. Also I don't like the Black Pack front grille, it's gloss! When the rest of the front grilles are still Matt!
I'm seriously tempted to order one for March 20 though.

#22 ·
Ours was being built a couple of weeks ago. But then it has to wait for shipping, and get here, so it is a few months away. I tracked the ship when our last one was on its way, it is quite interesting especially the Panama Canal part. Very keen to see how it goes, I've never driven the 300hp before, though I was taken for a hot lap in an F Type with one.

#23 ·
liebherr said:
Picking this up on Friday I hope
I take it that is the "new" Portofino blue?
I hope the handover went well ?
If so some pictures would be great as all we have seen is the Jaguar press shots so a real one would be nice.

#24 ·
As I've just dropped mine off at the Main Dealer I took a quick peek at the Face-lift. There are some minor detail changes outside and in, and I think I like the new gear 'handle'. I always thought the rotary one a (big) bit gimmicy. The outside changes I could take, or leave.

#25 ·

Attachments

#26 ·
I like the side bolsters in the seats, is that stock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.