Another XE-S Purchase Thread

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Inpher

Re: Another XE-S Purchase Thread

Post by Inpher » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes, definitely interesting. The PDI on the car was carried out at JLR HQ but after that its history becomes a bit of a mystery as it vanishes without a trace until showing up at Copart in 2018 having done 3,000 miles or so.

I followed up some of simpler's leads and had a chat with Copart. Most people know Copart as a salvage auction company, but they have a department called Special Vehicle Operations which takes back JLR fleet cars. They weren't able to tell me much, other than the car was not salvage.

I suspect we will never know. However if I go ahead and buy it I'll be back here with my tales of joy, or woe.

Regarding the stop-start - I hate stop-start anyway so will probably have it switched off if possible. I'm aware the system doesn't work that well on the XE in general. Agreed that tyre cracking is something to look for.
2015 XE S in Italian Racing Red

Dendip

Post by Dendip » Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 am

Hi Inpher, Thoroughly check out the aircon. Make sure it's blowing out lots of lovely cold air. If you drive away and report a fault later (10 miles in my case) you'll be in for a battle because they will say "stone damage" not covered by warranty. I did get the main dealer to replace the leaking condenser but it took a miserable, stressful 3 months of nagging on my part. Also make sure you're happy with it's service record.
XES 340. IRR with Black/White interior. Previous: S Type SE and XF Portfolio. All a delight to own!

STXS

Post by STXS » Mon May 27, 2019 12:06 am

Well, me being someone who just picked up my XE-S the biggest thing is to be careful when parking. After 4 hours of ownership i curbed my 20 inch wheels and now i'm gonna have to get them repaired. The climate vent fins have completely disconnected from each other for some reason, and my ICT needs updatin. Thankfully all is going to be sorted as the car is under warranty. Apart from that everything else is amazing!

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Mon May 27, 2019 4:40 pm

Ouch - those wheels are diamond cut as well so not cheap to repair! The one I'm looking at has park assist and the 360 cameras so hopefully that will minimise parking mistakes...

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 am

So, I went to look at the car yesterday.

As far as I could tell it was in decent condition. Inside it looked barely used but the outside was not in quite as good condition. On the right wing there were a couple of small scratches, one of which has gone through to the primer. However the main issue was the driver's wing mirror. I'm not sure what had happened to it in the past but there was lacquer peel on the outer edge. The dealer said it would correct these things if I were to buy.

Other things - the tyres seemed ok. Some cracking but nothing major compared to my current car. Tread levels seemed fine. Brakes difficult to tell - they felt and sounded fine under braking but the discs had some corrosion (see attached).

The car was good to drive - it compares favourably to my current one. It felt a lot more composed over rough surfaces, the steering felt less light, and in general I didn't feel like I was driving a larger car. The engine sounded great when I put my foot down, albeit quite quiet in the cabin due to the absence of the fake engine noise on the BMW. There were no annoying rattles and the stop start worked(!)

The car is pretty much fully optioned, with some uncommon options like the adaptive cruise and HUD. I thought the interior would take some getting used to - it was specced in an odd colour combo (blue trim inside?) and the dash felt a bit cheap.

What do people think?

2951565-24670421.jpg

Deleted User 4390

Post by Deleted User 4390 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 am

Based on other threads and comments I have seen.

Discs should be replaced.

Tyres should be ok (Dunlop's seem to crack but you have the P-Zero).

Blue interior? But a red car? This would of been one of the first if not the first XE-S off the line with it being number 263.

Stop start should work as it has the higher capacity battery.

Yes it has all options. But why did it go missing outside of the Jaguar / Paragon network for ages and then reappear at COPART and then disappeared again for 8 months before ending up in Cardiff?

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Wed May 29, 2019 7:53 am

The blue interior is strange, agreed. Potentially an incorrect build as I can't imagine someone asking for it, or Jaguar wanting to use it as a press car.

The discs weren't as bad after the test drive but they are a concern. I assume corroded discs aren't an MOT fail if they are still stopping the car.

In terms of the rather odd history, I'll have another chat with copart today.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed May 29, 2019 7:58 am

The discs are showing the corrosion that we have seen before especially on the rears (often on cars that haven't had much use or have been standing around for a while.
Definitely need the discs and pads replacing as part of the deal.
If you do go for it ensure the paintwork has been sorted to your satisfaction.
I must admit the blue interior on a red car is a bit different!
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Wed May 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Yes it's certainly an interesting combination. A bit different as you say.

Disappointing about the discs - does the corrosion affect the performance of the brakes or is it mainly cosmetic? With very corroded brakes I'd have expected some judder on the test drive but didn't feel any, but then again maybe I didn't get to high enough speeds.

I have to say this dealer has been quite difficult to deal with, they seem to be trying something on every time I speak to them! A completely different experience to the last time I bought a used car where the dealer was absolutely excellent.

You probably think I'm quite blasé about the potential pitfalls here. I do work in the industry (the legal side) so if something does go wrong it shouldn't be a massive effort to fix things.

I'll be making a decision by Friday. In case anyone was curious about what the two cars look like together, I've attached a photo.

IMG_20190529_215011.jpg

Front photo

Marsh

Post by Marsh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Did you buy the car in the end?