Recording Independent Service

All Jaguar XE related discussions
kierank
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am
Location: Midlands

Recording Independent Service

Post by kierank » Wed May 22, 2019 10:37 am

Hi

We've recently purchase a used early 2016 Jaguar XE. We're mostly happy with it, although it's developed a DEF quality fault which reading these forums and other Land Rover forums seems to be prevalent.

Our car is being serviced today by a friend who we have used for years. A very small independent garage which we trust. As our vehicle has full service history we of course want to keep this up. I've read online about being able to log in to OSH and upload an independent service, however OSH suggests that due to GDPR this can no longer be done and must be done either by Jaguar or via TOPIx.

I have now logged in to TOPIx. I just created an account. However I cannot see anyway in which I can do this. I understand TOPIx is generally a subscription platform for tech bulletins etc, but I was hoping/expecting to have this option available.

It seems Jaguar are making it very very hard for us to do such a simple task, recording the service history.

Does anyone have any experience in taking an invoice/receipt to Jaguar and asking them to upload the service history?

Or better still, does anyone know how I can do this myself?

Thanks


simpler
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm
Location: UK

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by simpler » Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 am

Only Jaguar Approved Service Centres can upload servicing information to the online digital system.

They are unlikely to add a service record completed by a non Jaguar Approved garage.


kierank
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am
Location: Midlands

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by kierank » Wed May 22, 2019 11:59 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply. The message on the OSH system specifically suggests that Jaguar will do this. Here's the blurb:

Should you have services carried out by an Independent Motor Trader your local Jaguar Retailer may also be able to add these to your Service History. Alternatively your Independent Motor Trader is able to register for access to TOPIx - our vehicle maintenance database. From there they may be able to request access to update the Online Servicing History on your behalf (*)

(*) - Varies by market. Functionality not available in all markets.

Due to GDPR requirements, we are no longer able to accept service amendments directly on the platform. These can be loaded by your local Jaguar Retailer or Independent Motor Trader directly as detailed above.


As you can see, the suggestion is clearly there, but the word 'may' is rather ambiguous.
I've tried calling Jaguar and I've been waiting a few hours already for a call back as they are too busy to speak to me.


User avatar
PhilB
Posts: 6093
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: South Buckinghamshire

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by PhilB » Wed May 22, 2019 4:02 pm

I know from reading other forums that Independent Jaguar specialists can and do update the service history as they are fully paid up to Topix.
It's in their interest to do so as they then have access to all the latest workshop manuals etc.
It probably wouldn't be finacially worth your small independent signing up and paying for full membership so the only route appears to be getting Jaguar to do it via a local dealer.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.


User avatar
147daytona
Posts: 1024
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 pm
Location: Lowestoft, UK

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by 147daytona » Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Why not just keep the receipt and details of work carried out from your independent specialist with all your other car paperwork to show/give to any new owner?
I'm sure a lot of people would be happier seeing the physical paper evidence of servicing rather than having to log into a website to see it anyway.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.


capese21
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by capese21 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm

When my XE was serviced the dealer still gave me a printed invoice with the reg number VIN etc & all details of what was done. The online service record isnt hugely important. A paper full service history is better imho.
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.


User avatar
BRC
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Pot hole county, aka Surrey

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by BRC » Wed May 22, 2019 6:45 pm

capese21 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm
When my XE was serviced the dealer still gave me a printed invoice with the reg number VIN etc & all details of what was done. The online service record isnt hugely important. A paper full service history is better imho.
147daytona wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm
Why not just keep the receipt and details of work carried out from your independent specialist with all your other car paperwork to show/give to any new owner?
I'm sure a lot of people would be happier seeing the physical paper evidence of servicing rather than having to log into a website to see it anyway.
Couldn't agree more with you. Come the point of sale a paper record is easier to present rather than an online service history albeit these can and do get printed out. There's been a few cars I've had where I never knew what had been serviced/found faulty simply because it was a leased car and I never got to see any online or paper record. I always thought that was very unsatisfactory whereas mercifully my other car has a booklet with stamps covering service and paint inspections.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!


BOBCDP
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Vale of Glamorgan

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by BOBCDP » Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 pm

BRC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:45 pm
capese21 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm
When my XE was serviced the dealer still gave me a printed invoice with the reg number VIN etc & all details of what was done. The online service record isnt hugely important. A paper full service history is better imho.
147daytona wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm
Why not just keep the receipt and details of work carried out from your independent specialist with all your other car paperwork to show/give to any new owner?
I'm sure a lot of people would be happier seeing the physical paper evidence of servicing rather than having to log into a website to see it anyway.
Couldn't agree more with you. Come the point of sale a paper record is easier to present rather than an online service history albeit these can and do get printed out. There's been a few cars I've had where I never knew what had been serviced/found faulty simply because it was a leased car and I never got to see any online or paper record. I always thought that was very unsatisfactory whereas mercifully my other car has a booklet with stamps covering service and paint inspections.
Me too.
Online is simpler for manufacturers and dealers. It is certainly of no benefit to the customer.
Far better to have a service book and a pile of receipts. That's exactly the route I have taken. I've bought a simple service book from ebay in which I have recorded the online services to date. I have space to add in yearly oil and filter changes and any other work done on the car in the future. Not that I am thinking of selling at the moment but when the time does come, I will have a full and simple history backed up with receipts.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,


kierank
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am
Location: Midlands

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by kierank » Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 am

Thank you for all your comments and advice. Much appreciated.


User avatar
Chak59
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by Chak59 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:27 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 pm
BRC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:45 pm
capese21 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm
When my XE was serviced the dealer still gave me a printed invoice with the reg number VIN etc & all details of what was done. The online service record isnt hugely important. A paper full service history is better imho.
147daytona wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm
Why not just keep the receipt and details of work carried out from your independent specialist with all your other car paperwork to show/give to any new owner?
I'm sure a lot of people would be happier seeing the physical paper evidence of servicing rather than having to log into a website to see it anyway.
Couldn't agree more with you. Come the point of sale a paper record is easier to present rather than an online service history albeit these can and do get printed out. There's been a few cars I've had where I never knew what had been serviced/found faulty simply because it was a leased car and I never got to see any online or paper record. I always thought that was very unsatisfactory whereas mercifully my other car has a booklet with stamps covering service and paint inspections.
Me too.
Online is simpler for manufacturers and dealers. It is certainly of no benefit to the customer.
Far better to have a service book and a pile of receipts. That's exactly the route I have taken. I've bought a simple service book from ebay in which I have recorded the online services to date. I have space to add in yearly oil and filter changes and any other work done on the car in the future. Not that I am thinking of selling at the moment but when the time does come, I will have a full and simple history backed up with receipts.
Great idea. I was made to feel like a dinosaur when I bought my Jag and asked if a service book was available. My local garage can't access Jaguar's site and I was met with the GDPR prohibition when I tried myself.

I shall start looking on ebay forthwith!
Jaguar XE Portfolio D Auto 180, 2017, Italian Racing Red. 19" black alloys.


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”