Recording Independent Service

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Vespa

Re: Recording Independent Service

Post by Vespa » Sat May 25, 2019 2:44 pm

On trading in my old cars I have given the dealers every bit of paperwork for every service or part on all my cars and they are just not interested. My Rover 45V6 had loads of paperwork and I actually saw them bin the lot at the VW dealers. There are many cars out there of all makes that have never seen a service and many dealers who don't care whether they have or have not been serviced. It only becomes important when the car is getting to collector stage ie when it starts appreciating rather than depreciating or if it is a couple of years old. How I wish I had kept some of my old cars. That's my view on service records.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat May 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Vespa wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:44 pm
On trading in my old cars I have given the dealers every bit of paperwork for every service or part on all my cars and they are just not interested. My Rover 45V6 had loads of paperwork and I actually saw them bin the lot at the VW dealers. There are many cars out there of all makes that have never seen a service and many dealers who don't care whether they have or have not been serviced. It only becomes important when the car is getting to collector stage ie when it starts appreciating rather than depreciating or if it is a couple of years old. How I wish I had kept some of my old cars. That's my view on service records.
I rather agree Vespa, the only other time it MIGHT make a difference is for a private sale, dealers don't seem to bother in the least. My last X-type went with a pile of info and full record and they just took the pile, stuffed it in an envelope and said nothing, I'll bet a dollar it never saw the next owner.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat May 25, 2019 4:43 pm

It's sad when you look after an expensive piece of machinery and have all the records of jobs done are disposed of. Can you imagine being an aircraft engineer and not looking after records of jobs done? Oh Sorry sir, your afterburners were faulty and that is why the back end of your Typhoon blew up. We can't find any problems recorded as the last aircraft engineer binned all the records. May I recommend a new Phantom with just one owner from new. The only recorded fault we know about was a faulty ejector seat when the canopy didn't part company with the aircraft. The good news is it's all fixed by Fidget and Bodgeit and they have told us that the parts they used were from a pattern part maker.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm

I have discovered that if you keep ignoring the "service due" notification on the dash, eventually it gives up.
Which is nice.
:D
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm

PhilB wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm
I have discovered that if you keep ignoring the "service due" notification on the dash, eventually it gives up.
Which is nice.
:D
Hmmm, I hadn't really connected with that. Before I got my XE I was told by the local dealer that it had had two services, when I got it I checked on-line and it said 800+ days overdue ???. It was later suggested that the originating dealer had failed to log them to Jag. I've seen no dash message to say Service overdue.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun May 26, 2019 7:53 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm
Hmmm, I hadn't really connected with that. Before I got my XE I was told by the local dealer that it had had two services, when I got it I checked on-line and it said 800+ days overdue ???. It was later suggested that the originating dealer had failed to log them to Jag. I've seen no dash message to say Service overdue.
Probably because they reset the service indicator when it was serviced which is part of the service schedule.
The manual explains about the service indicator popping up when service is due on a countdown mileage-wise and then just "Service due" once it has reached the time or mileage when it's required.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 am

Mike, you can reset the service indicator yourself if you want to when it comes on.................. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0l0y0LgkU

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun May 26, 2019 10:21 am

Vespa wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 am
Mike, you can reset the service indicator yourself if you want to when it comes on.................. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0l0y0LgkU
Good to know, though I doubt I'll ever see it, I take mine in at the proper intervals and don't do anything like the required miles. I also like the service to be tied to the MOT so I only lose it for one day at a time.

It is as suggested, quite likely that Houghton-le-Spring did reset it when/if they did the services, just failed to log them with Jag.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 26, 2019 10:37 am

Mine is fully looked after by my dealer and I am going to have an oil change on a yearly basis from now on. We must drive similarly with low mileages.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:53 pm
Vespa wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:44 pm
I rather agree Vespa, the only other time it MIGHT make a difference is for a private sale, dealers don't seem to bother in the least. My last X-type went with a pile of info and full record and they just took the pile, stuffed it in an envelope and said nothing, I'll bet a dollar it never saw the next owner.
Yep agree that dealers sadly don't want to know about any history. However I nearly always sell my cars privately and i have always found the more bumph you have, the more prospective buyers get the message that the car has been well looked after and is probably a good buy.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”