Petrol vs Diesel

All Jaguar XE related discussions
SPARTAN117

Petrol vs Diesel

Post by SPARTAN117 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi All,

Apologies as i'm sure this has been asked before but I've struggled to find the answer via the search bar,

I'm looking at an approved used XE, but i'm struggling to find the right spec in a petrol variant for the right price, there is definitely more diesels on the market!

(Found the perfect model in petrol but the P/E offered was nowhere near what i am looking for)

I mainly do short journeys throughout the week (1-2) miles with longer journeys on the weekend, I used to really enjoy driving but to be honest my current petrol car (Astra) has put me off as any 'fun' and i can literally watch the fuel ebb away with not much to show for it, previous to this i used to have a Diesel Civic which I have to say really enjoyed and i had no hesitation just going for a drive once or twice a week just for the fun of it but at the time i did live a little further from work,

My question is with the new XE Diesels (2016 onwards) what are the DPFs and issues in response to short journeys? can any issues be mitigated with a good run every so often? is it worth waiting out for a petrol variant or can the diesels be reasonably ok with a few short journeys here and there?

Conscious i don't want to buy a car that i'm going to wreck with insufficient thrashing!

Cheers in advance!

Mike Rometer

Re: Petrol vs Diesel

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pm

The usual criteria for having diesel instead of petrol is annual mileage. Anything less than about 12-15000 a year and the petrol becomes more viable due to overall costs. I looked for several months before I found the spec. I wanted, because as you say petrols are a lot fewer on the ground.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 pm

I looked about 9 months for the XE spec I wanted, and having not found one, I ordered a new Evoque, with the options I wanted. One day, the new car will turn up. In the meantime, I love my petrol XE.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pm
The usual criteria for having diesel instead of petrol is annual mileage. Anything less than about 12-15000 a year and the petrol becomes more viable due to overall costs. I looked for several months before I found the spec. I wanted, because as you say petrols are a lot fewer on the ground.
If you’re buying used the annual cost/overall mileage equation doesn’t necessarily apply. I only do 6000 miles a year and am very happy with the 55mpg and £30 annual road tax on my 180 diesel, which cost £16K under list price with only 1500 miles on the clock.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Indianajons wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm
Mike Rometer wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pm
If you’re buying used the annual cost/overall mileage equation doesn’t necessarily apply. I only do 6000 miles a year and am very happy with the 55mpg and £30 annual road tax on my 180 diesel, which cost £16K under list price with only 1500 miles on the clock.
The other problems that occur with diesels that spend too long standing (infrequent use) are that injectors become sticky with the corresponding smoke, loss of power . . . . and expense.

Agreed 'used' does skew the equation slightly but you still need to do a fair mileage to make the extra cost of fuel pay (in the UK), probably 8-10000.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 am

I'd say that looking at the proposed overall mileage over the time of ownership is key when considering costs. You'll need to be looking to do 50-60,000 miles realistically to be benefiting from diesel ownership cost wise.

More importantly, for me at least, is the powertrain NVH. The diesel XE is not great in this respect, being nowhere near the class leaders and not even as good as many B or C segment cars.

I'd go petrol unless I was considering it as a company car and was more worried about BIK than SPM.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 am

Not quite sure how you work that one out Chris.... NVH is on a par with or better than every other diesel I’ve owned and with 50% more mpg than the comparable petrol engine even low mileage is less expensive
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:58 am

I think there are other things worth mentioning about the Ingenium diesel.
Problems which we have seen both here and across other forums where the same issues are being reported.

AdBlue issues where faults are being seen with AdBlue quality not being right when it is actually ok and sensors having to be replaced and the tank drained.
Causing some difficulties for members proving the AdBlue is correct and still being left with a big bill when out of warranty.

Oil dilution is an issue across other forums too with the diesels.
Some vehicles are warning for an oil change way before due service.
Most seem to be changing the oil every 12 months to try and mitigate issues.

Timing chain issues on more leggy ones have been seen.
In some cases a top end rebuild has had to be done.
Not seen on any petrols so far.

Personally, I'd take your time and find a petrol that suits.
As has been said, your mileage isn't financially worth it and short runs may well have issues with the DPF/ oil dilution issues.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am

100% not a diesel in this case. It's not exactly ideal for a petrol to do just 1 mile at a time. To be honest you sound like the ideal candidate for an electric car. Are the any used I paces around?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Wastegate84 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am
Are the any used I paces around?
Cheapest on the national approved used list is £53,990.................. :shock:
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”