Insurance renewal

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Indianajons

Insurance renewal

Post by Indianajons » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am

For the third year running my renewal price from Aviva is the cheapest I can find, even allowing for cashback. Can’t remember ever staying with the same insurer for more than two years before.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Thorn

Re: Insurance renewal

Post by Thorn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 am

I've found the same with Direct Line. It's been a long time since I've stuck with a motor insurer for three years.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 pm

My renewal with Aviva is coming up in about 5 weeks time and I have been with them for the previous 2 years so will be interesting to see if they are still competitive with mine. A few quid I don't mind but over £20 difference and I may switch.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm

I was with Direct Line for about 4 years and very happy until year 5 when they tried to pull the increase stunt.
Likewise I don't mind a few quid increase each year but this was over £100 on a £450 per year policy.
Admiral did the same thing before I was with Direct Line.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

PhilsJag

Post by PhilsJag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:59 pm

I was with CIS for my last car but when I got the Jag they wouldn't insure without a CAT5 tracker fitted (even though they "soft quoted" me before I bought it). I found Churchill to be the best value not the cheapest per say but the excess was good as was the fact that I got full business use as standard.
MY20 XE SE R-Dynamic, Narvik Black, split 7 spoke black wheels

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:54 pm

PhilB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm
I was with Direct Line for about 4 years and very happy until year 5 when they tried to pull the increase stunt.
Likewise I don't mind a few quid increase each year but this was over £100 on a £450 per year policy.
Admiral did the same thing before I was with Direct Line.
I was reading at weekend that the latter two were having a tumble on their shares cause by some disgruntlement with the managers and the shareholders.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Insurance companies are odd.

Philsjag, I’m with CIS, I was with my XE, no tracker requirement, no discount when I told them I had one they just said it didn’t make a difference.

When I switched to the XF in February the premium went down, no tracker was mentioned, they soft quoted when in the showroom looking, when we got it the change was slightly less (only just) than the indicative quote. The renewal has just come through with no further requirements for a tracker. All I can assume is it must be postcode dependant, the XE however is not often stolen if the stats are to be believed.

The problem is I’ve had to up my annual mileage which is costing me........

Cheers
Current XF RSport 180 MY19 in Corris Grey (no heated steering wheel :o )

Previous XE R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot, electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 pm

God only knows how insurance companies work out premiums.

I was with Direct Line for 3 years and they were always the most competitive until September 18 when they suddenly upped my premium from £310 to £450 and would not budge. I then went with Esure for £380 and £55 cashback via Topcashback, which was finally paid after constant chasing, at the end of August 19. Checking prices this time who was the cheapest by a mile? Direct Line at £252 less £25 cashback from the meerkats so £227 net. Very pleased with that.

As for trackers, my freebie lasted 4 years and ran out in July this year and I haven't renewed it for £350 or whatever the price is. It's just not worth it. When I first had the car, I was amazed that there was no interest whatsoever from insurance companies. No difference at all in premiums with or without.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:28 am

The thing with these legalised bandits that you have to watch, is the excess both compulsory and voluntary. Voluntary say £150, that you are happy with but the compulsory is another £300. Also watch for the clause that sticks your repair bill up by up to £500 if you use a non approved repair centre. Watch for the clause about modifications and look carefully at what constitutes a mod. Some will say anything that makes it more attractive to thieves will influence the premium. They also have clauses that insist on regular service as specified by the manufacturer. There is always wiggle room to their favour if you claim.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Alanqs

Post by Alanqs » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Direct Line pulled the ladder trick on me two years ago with my BMW giving a 30% increase in the premium. Went on-line and they must know I was already a customer and quoted me an even higher price. So I ditched them.

When I got the XE, I gave them another try and this time, the premium was £213 so I took it. What is more, and I've noticed it before with DirectLine, if you then reduce the voluntary excess to £0, the premium doesn't change (well it doesn't for me).
Caldera Red P250 HSE. Clear Sight mirror, powered boot and some other stuff

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”