Adblue, DEF bill for £971 Beware

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Bamm

Re: Adblue, DEF bill for £971 Beware

Post by Bamm » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm

MickC, did the message stay away? And how do you top up the adblue now (5 liter when the message shows?)
I had the same issue after full refill, flushed the tank and removed crystallization from the adblue injector and reset the system.
After 5000km's message again. visit the dealer and they reported nox sensor failure. total 725 euro.

MickC

Post by MickC » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi
Since the work was done I have not had a warning light or have I needed to add AdBlu. But my mileage is now quite low.
I still have about 12 litres of AdBlu left so I will just top it up myself although I will take a special note of exactly what warning the car is giving me - is it related to quality or quantity
Good luck and sorry to hear that you may be lumbered with a big bill

Vigs

Post by Vigs » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:46 pm

All

Very sorry for being late to this thread but having only just become a DEF victim, I'd really like some advice. Simply put, the alarm 'Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Insufficient' came up on my D180 15 plate car, followed by the countdown warning. It went in to Marshall's Jaguar in Peterborough and here I print verbatum their findings.

'Check and advise on DEF wanring light on. Confirmed fault, carried out SDD and check fault codes. Found code relating to NOX Inefficiency. Carried out NOX reset, topped up Ad Blue with 9.3 litres. Checked and updated PCM, cleared fault codes and road tested, all ok.

The car was fine after collection and good for a weeks worth of driving. I've covered just 300 miles and today the same warning has come back on. Is there any good news to be had in terms of a way forward? If Marshalls topped up the Ad Blue, then surely the problem sits with them because the alarm says so. 'Insufficient quality'........that said, all the common sense on here seems to suggest, as I believe, the Ad Blue is fine. My base line point is, Marshall's charged me £168.00 to make the alarm go away and I feel I'm entitled to it staying that way, for a good while anyway. A weeks motoring is not really a good deal!
I have read all the threads on this topic, but any additional thoughts would be very welcome.
Martin...

chrisneil

Post by chrisneil » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:47 pm

XE R Sport 2016 54K

I have the dash warning "incorrect ad blue" which as previously noted is a load of XXXX this is the fourth time this has happened, twice in warranty, once out of warranty when it was repaired without charge by Jaguar Dealer. It has now happened again and I am currently in discussion with the main dealer and JL customer relations re getting this looked at again. In my opinion this is a common recurring fault and as such should be treated as a repeated occurrence of the original fault so I am not prepared to pay to have a problem sorted that should have been dealt with correctly on the three previous occasions.

It is widely known that this is usually a build up of urea crystals on the Nox sensor and nothing to do with incorrect ad blue; I had this argument with them last time when they were going to drain the tank blaming ,me for the wrong ad blue. I asked them to confirm the ISO number which funnily enough was exactly the same as on the container I had in the boot that I had re-filled with - rather embarrassed service technician!

Today I got the code P20EE nox sensor code and EML came on; at the same time the warning message change from "Incorrect ad blue" "incorrect dosing"

Anyway it is booked in next week to the main dealer so I will update when they have had the car in; I have made it clear I am not paying for this and it has been agreed with JLR customer services that once the fault is diagnosed we will discuss cost issues when I expect JLR to cover the cost - see what happens.

Premium product - I had an Audi before the XE having had 3 Jags previously; The salesman's pitch was, "let's get you out of that German rubbish and back in a jag; your buying a premium product with premium customer service when you buy a jag" mmmmm

Problems - some of which I accept are part and parcel and things do go wrong, but when they do I don't expect to treated like an idiot and fed something an animal with four legs, the male variety, leaves in a field!

New gearbox 21,000.00
4 occurrences of the ad blue saga - JLR can't tell me if the cleaned the nox sensor or replaced it last time they had it in with the problem.......
Rear light failure - was just the bulbs but JLR technician told me it was "the lighting control unit" which was £350.00 plus labour - 2 bulbs fitted for £8.00
Tyre pressure sensors - forever giving false warnings however this does seem to have been resolved last time it was serviced by JLR.
Auto stop start has a mind of its own - I am aware this is a battery issue and again after 3 years of being told rubbish by JLR this mysteriously resolved itself after the last service.
All 4 alloys are badly delaminated with Lacquer separating from alloy wheel - this is currently with JLR customer services being reviewed
Sat Nav is appalling
Blue tooth is appalling and constantly unpairs my phone and loses all my contacts

AND most annoyingly grrrr locking wheel nut adapter failed with locking ring detached inside socket so could not get the wheel off the car last week to have new tyres fitted... JLR would not sell me a new socket and would only sell me a new set of locking wheel nuts at £110.00 plus vat. Then they wanted £60.00 per wheel to remove the old locking wheel nuts - I didn't swear but FRO was on the tip of ,my tongue. Again a common known fault and I was lucky enough to be put in touch with this great guy at www.thewheelnutman.co.uk/07702 043170; he is based in Barnsley and removed all 4 and sold me a new set with a better locking wheel nut socket for £110.00 -brilliant service and a thoroughly nice guy.

So, that is the history so far of my ownership of this "premium product"

My biggest gripe is the way JLR deal with customers as and end user. they think we are all thick, take every opportunity to fleece us of cash, and bulls**t beyond recognition. Why they can't just tell the truth, acknowledge these issues are widespread, and work with customers to resolve any issues quickly, efficiently and sensibly; is that too much to ask?

Oh I forgot the rear discs and pads that were knackered after less than 35k; pads I don't have an issue with but you should not have to replace discs after 35k

Anyway, they are just trying to sell me a new on so that will be an interesting conversation next week

BTW I am an ex RAF aircraft engineer and worked on the Royal Air Force Display Team - The Red Arrows, so I get slightly irate when some spotty faced teenager starts telling me "it's no good trying to explain things in detail sir, it's very complicated and you probably wouldn't understand" ho ho ho!

chrisneil

Post by chrisneil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Good news regarding the AD blue problem

The car was booked into Jaguar Derby for investigation and they diagnosed the nox sensor and the cat. The bade news was they quoted me £1500.00 to fix it BUT JLR customer service has confirmed that this will be done at no cost to me.

I have to say the issues I have had have put me off getting another Diesel Jaguar but I cannot fault JLR customer services.

Interestingly, having initially had the incorrect ad blue message this changed to an incorrect dosing message after about 250 miles then disappeared while I was on my way to Derby .

So, if you have this issue don't enter into a battle with the dealer, they just want to make sure they get paid, go straight to JLR customer services first.

It worked for me on my 2016 XE R Sport that is out of warranty with 54k on it

chrisneil

Post by chrisneil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:50 pm

Vigs wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:46 pm
All

Very sorry for being late to this thread but having only just become a DEF victim, I'd really like some advice. Simply put, the alarm 'Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Insufficient' came up on my D180 15 plate car, followed by the countdown warning. It went in to Marshall's Jaguar in Peterborough and here I print verbatum their findings.

'Check and advise on DEF wanring light on. Confirmed fault, carried out SDD and check fault codes. Found code relating to NOX Inefficiency. Carried out NOX reset, topped up Ad Blue with 9.3 litres. Checked and updated PCM, cleared fault codes and road tested, all ok.

The car was fine after collection and good for a weeks worth of driving. I've covered just 300 miles and today the same warning has come back on. Is there any good news to be had in terms of a way forward? If Marshalls topped up the Ad Blue, then surely the problem sits with them because the alarm says so. 'Insufficient quality'........that said, all the common sense on here seems to suggest, as I believe, the Ad Blue is fine. My base line point is, Marshall's charged me £168.00 to make the alarm go away and I feel I'm entitled to it staying that way, for a good while anyway. A weeks motoring is not really a good deal!
I have read all the threads on this topic, but any additional thoughts would be very welcome.
Martin...
Read my follow up post

I never paid a diagnostic fee and JLR has agreed to fund the repairs

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:17 am

I’ve a FPace 3l, I had low Adblu warning and dosing errors. Jag wanted£150 just for the diagnostic before any work done. I had a top tip from the HGV community saying that they have similar problems with Adblu. The liquid crystallises as the liquid evaporates.
I went to a local garage who stripped the system down, found the Adblu injector blocked and the the feed pipe gunged up with Crystal debris. They cleaned and flushed. The fault code doesn’t clear straight away, had to take the car for a run to reteach the sensors. On restart the error codes had gone. No issues since. Cost from local garage £99!!!
Remember Adblu crystallises- the associated Nox errors are just a symptom of the real problem.