So I've finally found something that annoys me with the XE!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Gojira

So I've finally found something that annoys me with the XE!

Post by Gojira » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Went out for a drive this afternoon, and did about 100 miles driving around mostly B-roads in Hereford and Worcester.

Really good fun, and I was well impressed with how it coped on wet roads in Dynamic Sport, although it was the first time I've averaged less than 30mpg on a run that long :lol:

However. I was getting mildly irritated with the fact (that I was aware of before I bought it) that it doesn't have a rear wiper :o

20 Years of Vauxhall hatchbacks had got me used to being able to see clearly behind me on wet country lanes...

It was fine on the motorway, with a bit more breeze, but I don't think "I needed to be doing 70mph on the B-whatever to keep the rear screen clean, Officer!" would have gone down very well with the folks with the nice blue accessories on their motors! :mrgreen:

Time to see if I've still got my bottle of Rain-X that I decided didn't work with windscreen wipers a long time ago, I suppose.
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Mike Rometer

Re: So I've finally found something that annoys me with the XE!

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Gojira wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 pm
Went out for a drive this afternoon, and did about 100 miles driving around mostly B-roads in Hereford and Worcester.

Really good fun, and I was well impressed with how it coped on wet roads in Dynamic Sport, although it was the first time I've averaged less than 30mpg on a run that long :lol:

However. I was getting mildly irritated with the fact (that I was aware of before I bought it) that it doesn't have a rear wiper :o

20 Years of Vauxhall hatchbacks had got me used to being able to see clearly behind me on wet country lanes...

It was fine on the motorway, with a bit more breeze, but I don't think "I needed to be doing 70mph on the B-whatever to keep the rear screen clean, Officer!" would have gone down very well with the folks with the nice blue accessories on their motors! :mrgreen:

Time to see if I've still got my bottle of Rain-X that I decided didn't work with windscreen wipers a long time ago, I suppose.
I've said this before, and on this forum. There seems to be an inbuilt aversion with all manufactures (except Vauxhall) to putting a rear wipe on a saloon car. God knows why, there's plenty of room, and with the modern shapes they could really do with it, same as hatchbacks. :roll: :roll:

Th add to this there are two things I hate about mine, the biggest one being the electric boot (trunk) lid. A total pain in the rear. The number of times I would just lift the lid chuck something under it and shut it again is without quantity, but with this I have to wait; while it opens; and again while it closes, or dig the key out of it's pouch.

The other at least I can switch off. Keyless entry! This time of year I have gloves, keys, AND key-pouch, in my hands as well as anything else I want to take with me, while trying to manipulate, doors and boot (trunk), house front door and burglar alarm etc. I need four pairs of hands!!!
Last edited by Mike Rometer on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Deleted User 5127

Post by Deleted User 5127 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Use the rear camera, it gets a bit grubby though

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:34 pm

I must admit, I use the gesture boot on mine much more than I thought I would, it saves having to put the shopping down in a wet car park, but I probably don't use the actual boot release button often enough, as I can't always find it to press! :o

I like the keyless entry more than I thought I would, too - the key lives in a cheap two-pocket puch thing from Halfrauds, and when I leave the house I pick up my phone and the pouch from my desk, move the key to the unshielded pocket, and then the phone and pouch stay in my jacket pocket until I'm at my destination, where the procedure is reversed once I'm indoors and sorted out. I think I have forgotten to move the key out of the shielded section about twice in almost nine months, but at least I know the pouch works :oops:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:06 pm

Mine doesn't have the 'gesture' facility. I'm not sure it would help much though.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:18 pm

I don't like the rear seat release levers. I'd never used them, so didn't look to see where they were. On my Volvo and Merc they'd been on the shoulder of the rear seats themselves. On the XE they hang down below the upper lip of the boot, invisible unless you bend, as I found out to my cost when trying to jam a backpack on top of a suitcase.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:55 am

Try a coat of Rainex on the rear and side windows but NOT on the screen. It works quite well on the lamps and camera as well.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 am

A good reminder for those ordering a My20 is to spec the clearsight mirror and you won't have to worry about having a clear rear window.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 am

We have it, it gives me a bit of a headache when I am using it though I wear corrective lenses. It does have an excellent image though, especially if you have boofhead kids in the back seat.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:51 am

Well, yes, but the brochure (not the website, as far as I could find) has a warning that the clearsight may not work with bifocals or varifocal glasses, like what some of us old folks like me need :D

It is better than the new Honda door cameras, though, in as far as you can still use the Jag one as a real mirror!

Score one for the company with the big cat logo :)