Jaguar XE Minor Quirks and Annoyances

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Faltwen

Re: Jaguar XE Minor Quirks and Annoyances

Post by Faltwen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Rob Wright wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:58 pm
For those with folding rear seats, the centre section can be released from within the car and then the pulls can be accessed without too much dificulty.
That doesn't open the boot though if the solenoid has failed.
There used to be a workaround on the X type. In fact it saved me when the wiring to the boot failed and it wouldn't open.
It involved taking the cover off the lock mechanism and connecting a tie wrap to the lever then threading it through a hole and hiding it behind the number plate.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.

Unfortunately she's had to go so I'm an ex XE owner.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:51 pm

It get you into the boot at least! :)

Mine has a small slot in the trim where the US release handle is located. When it stops raining I'll pop the lining off and investigate.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:52 pm

The one thing that really annoys me about my car is that it's so noisy when first started from cold. It's the petrol 200PS Ingenium and those first few seconds until the revs drop, really get to me. It's just so clattery. It's almost as if there was a hole in the bulkhead between me and the engine. Clearly there isn't bacause after the initial noise, it purrs like the cat should. No other manufacturers car I have been in is like it.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 pm

I tend to agree Bazzamf I have the same engine and have the same cold start up noise. Dealer says that it is "normal" only consolation is it stands alongside my wife's Golf GTI in the garage .....which is worse,again dealer says it is "normal". I confess that the dreadful rear vision and lack of rear space are more annoying as well as my stupidity in not knowing it didn't come with a CD player. I am not up to speed with more "current" methods of playing my Metallica melodies.
2018 200ps Prestige in Corris Grey.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Just to update;

Popped the bootlid lining off but found nothing useful there. Just a couple of plastic trims that may be used if the boot release lever is fitted. I also suspect the lock unit may be different in the US versions, as it'll need something for the lever to connect to.

Not a total waste of time, as I noticed a rear number plate lamp sitting proud by a couple of mm. Popped it out and found scratch marks around it and it had been fitted backwards. Orientated it correctly and it then sat flush and coverered the scratches.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri May 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Prestige wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 pm
I tend to agree Bazzamf I have the same engine and have the same cold start up noise. Dealer says that it is "normal" only consolation is it stands alongside my wife's Golf GTI in the garage .....which is worse,again dealer says it is "normal". I confess that the dreadful rear vision and lack of rear space are more annoying as well as my stupidity in not knowing it didn't come with a CD player. I am not up to speed with more "current" methods of playing my Metallica melodies.
Metallica melodies??? I don't think I'd call them melodies. It's got to be an age thing I guess, but I do know them and others, as my two sons are both into heavy metal music. Fortunately they no longer live at home. :D :D :D
Have you tried downloading the "music" on to a memory stick? After downloading just plug it in to the UBS port under the arm rest and away you go.

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 pm

Bazzamf..... my allusion to Metallica melodies may be a tad tongue in cheek. Their seminal album Kill 'em all and its key track The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse are admittedly not overly melodic. My poorly made point was that an old tech CD player is much missed.....I wouldn't know a memory stick from a walking stick and have a non smartphone etc so as the car has no CD I am limited to the often inane twaddle on radio. Absolute radio rarely has much on melodic ballads of Metallica these days !
2018 200ps Prestige in Corris Grey.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Fri May 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Personally I prefer Manowar's "Hail to England" masterpiece! ;)

Ripping CD's is a very simple process;

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri May 01, 2020 2:55 pm

Prestige wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 pm
Bazzamf..... my allusion to Metallica melodies may be a tad tongue in cheek. Their seminal album Kill 'em all and its key track The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse are admittedly not overly melodic. My poorly made point was that an old tech CD player is much missed.....I wouldn't know a memory stick from a walking stick and have a non smartphone etc so as the car has no CD I am limited to the often inane twaddle on radio. Absolute radio rarely has much on melodic ballads of Metallica these days !
I'm afraid Prestige, that there's no hope for you in this now "modern" world of our's. ;)
My wife was also disappointed when she realised we had no CD player in the car, being a big music fan. :o I was quite pleased though, as she has teenage taste, Justin Bieber for example, and she is no spring chicken, like me, both being in our 7th decade. However your as young as you feel I guess.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Fri May 01, 2020 3:04 pm

Prestige wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 pm
I assume you he a usb pocket in your centre console cubby box. Do you have a computer? It is quite easy to get your sounds into your car. I can talk you through it or I am sure somebody else can do the same. All you need to do is buy a memory stick or flash drive. You can get them for as little as a couple of quid for a small one. I went a different route, I bought a second hand iPod on eBay and copied a few dozen albums onto it. From my experience it works better than a memory stick or flash drive. It is worth checking out and will give you something to do while on Lock-down.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.