Jaguar XE Forum banner

Anybody know these V6 XEs?

9K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Prof Pat Pending 
#1 ·
Morning All,

I'm considering a V6 XE when lockdown ends and there are three cars on the approved used site I'm interested in. All are red, from 2017, and are fairly low mileage. All are pretty close to each other in terms of price - around £27k so strong money.

One is very low mileage (c3.5k), while the other two both have around 10k on the clock, but are very high spec. One of the cars really does have pretty much every extra (apart from 20" wheels).

The registration numbers are:

P13 NMS
VN17 OGZ
LK17 ZCZ

It would be great if the former keepers were on here. Long shot I know, but thought I may as well ask!

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. The two cars I'm most interested in both have ICT Pro with the 10" screen. One is on 19s, the other on 20" wheels. I've got to say the 20" wheels look great, but I do worry about the ride quality. Definitely need a test drive once lockdown ends.

#5 ·
Have you considered a lesser spec facelift model? Plenty around and prices are sure to be competitive once the garages open. I have driven both and I know what I prefer. The 300bhp petrol are thin on the ground and expensive, put there are quite a few 250's around.

#6 ·
VN17 would be the one I'd look at first. It has most of the toys - 380hp, climate front seats, 825w sounds, digital dash, heated screen, heads-up, dual view etc.

#7 ·
Depends how picky you consider yourself on ride quality. I'm on the 20s and personally I have no issue whatsoever with the ride on my XE S. If it's a concern, as you say, a good test drive will tell you everything.

It's a hell of an engine though, great choice.

#8 ·
My XES also rides on 20s, the system cam more than deal with the roads, I don't find it intrusive at all. Of course the benefit is in the handling with the lower profile tyres.
I think for me it would come down to actual vehicle spec, some things can't be added post factory, wheels on the other hand can. If it ticks all the boxes bar the wheels then I would opt for that one and ponder an alloy upgrade in the future.

#9 ·
Jeff123 said:
Have you considered a lesser spec facelift model? Plenty around and prices are sure to be competitive once the garages open. I have driven both and I know what I prefer. The 300bhp petrol are thin on the ground and expensive, put there are quite a few 250's around.
I haven't ruled out a later car, but the V6 is so tempting. Any reason you'd go for a P250 / 300 instead?

#10 ·
Rob Wright said:
VN17 would be the one I'd look at first. It has most of the toys - 380hp, climate front seats, 825w sounds, digital dash, heated screen, heads-up, dual view etc.
Yeah, it's a great spec. The other high spec car is in my local dealer network, so potentially an easier purchase, but not quite as many toys. It may well be I start with that one, see what deal is available, and then use that as a starting point on the higher spec car.

I actually think I'd be happy with either, so it may come down to the best deal.

#11 ·
CraigPXE said:
Thanks for the replies so far. The two cars I'm most interested in both have ICT Pro with the 10" screen. One is on 19s, the other on 20" wheels. I've got to say the 20" wheels look great, but I do worry about the ride quality. Definitely need a test drive once lockdown ends.
I didn't feel that the ride quality differed much, if any, between 19" and 20" wheels. Neither did turn in or response. Where I found the difference was in behaviour when pushed, the 20s being less progressive, more edgy. Could just be a property of the Pirelli tyres though. The 20s will be more susceptible to pot hole damage I would expect.

Facelift cars may be worth consideration, but IMO, the V6 is an essential ingredient!

#12 ·
CraigPXE said:
Jeff123 said:
I haven't ruled out a later car, but the V6 is so tempting. Any reason you'd go for a P250 / 300 instead?
Craig - here is my logic...

I came from a V6 BMW 330d 258bhp and 0-60 on 5.3 seconds; X drive, so there was no wheel spin at all. Before that it was a 325d (205bhp) and before that a 320d (177bhp). I know it sounds pretty glib, but I NEVER had chance to fully floor the 330d for more than a couple of seconds. Then, it was up the occasional motorway slip road. My point being that the 180bhp (d) Jag actually feels as quick in "normal" driving. If I was you I would have a drive in a P250 MY20 and see what you think. Nothing lost.

I know that many people on this forum have the 2015+ model, but the MY20 seems to be a massive improvement to me. The R Dynamic trim looks superb IMO. There are many more improvements and I personally would sooner sacrifice some performance for a newer model. Also, you would have more warranty as well.

What about this - 19 reg SE trim in a good colour - https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3003636

Or this - 69 reg S trim with quite a few extras - https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3006697

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

#13 ·
Jeff123 said:
CraigPXE said:
Jeff123 said:
Craig - here is my logic...

I came from a V6 BMW 330d 258bhp and 0-60 on 5.3 seconds; X drive, so there was no wheel spin at all. Before that it was a 325d (205bhp) and before that a 320d (177bhp). I know it sounds pretty glib, but I NEVER had chance to fully floor the 330d for more than a couple of seconds. Then, it was up the occasional motorway slip road. My point being that the 180bhp (d) Jag actually feels as quick in "normal" driving. If I was you I would have a drive in a P250 MY20 and see what you think. Nothing lost.

I know that many people on this forum have the 2015+ model, but the MY20 seems to be a massive improvement to me. The R Dynamic trim looks superb IMO. There are many more improvements and I personally would sooner sacrifice some performance for a newer model. Also, you would have more warranty as well.

What about this - 19 reg SE trim in a good colour - https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3003636

Or this - 69 reg S trim with quite a few extras - https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3006697

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks for this. I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Will I ever get to use all the performance of the V6? Maybe not and so I'm not going to rule out a newer car which might be less powerful. A longer warranty and newer tech are very appealing.

But...I'm a serial car changer who does very few miles. MPG is not therefore an issue and I'd love to buy something I wanted to keep for a few years. In my head, the V6 seems the most likely car to make me want to keep it. But, as I say, I'm open minded and will need to see what a test drive reveals.

Thanks once again.

#14 ·
Being an owner of a MY2015 XES on the 20", I love them, the ride is great, the handling is fantastic, but I have been through so many PZeros over the last 2 years....maybe 8/10 tyres, and 2 buckled wheels repaired down to potholes. I seem to manage to pickup punctures like no-ones business. I reckon I spend 50% of my time on my space saver, so for me that Optional Extra was a godsend. Perhaps 4 of these red alloy space savers might be a good idea 😛

But in closing, i still love it, and I still smile when I see it, and I still love the sound when I press the accelerator, and whichever one you choose you won't have made a bad choice!!

#15 ·
I'm with Jeff123 on this one.look at the facts and potential costs?
Xe-s three years old
Xe R dynamic near new
Roughly same price to purchase
Ok let's look at the V6
Good sound track, quicker but only by just over a second to 60, no warranty needs mot, older kit
and not much recourse if major problem occurs'
R dynamic (near new) latest spec, sports shifter, still quick ( P250 -0-60 in 6.2) like for like (BMW 320i 0-60 7.1) any issues you have recourse, no MOT for a while , lighter at the pumps, LED front and rear lamps.
Its your choice! Choose wisely!

#16 ·
Having owned both a 340 and 380 and now owning a P300 I can only give my experiences.
The P300 is a great engine - it really is.
Very revvy with the variable valve timing and plenty of get up and go.
Although my current encumbent weighs nearly 2 tons with the aerodynamics of a brick it is still quick (0-60 in 6.6 seconds and 150 mph where legal).
But, the V6 is still something very special.
In the XE it goes like a scalded cat and the growls, howls and wails are worth it.
MPG on a run in the P300 is actually lower than the V6 but does make a bit back when just using local/normal roads.
I would go for the best and latest V6 you can find.

#17 ·
I don't have any issues with the 20" tyres. I have the ICT Pro unit and I'm glad I do. The V6 (I have the 380) is a fantastic engine so much so that after the warranty expired in April I have decided to keep my car for the forseeable future, it's just too good! :D

#19 ·
Watch out with the later cars and the Rich Toy Tax - I'm not sure if any of the V6s are new enough to get caught by the "over 40k list price" extra tax, but it is something to bear in mind.

On the other hand, I was able to use "I'll be paying the extra tax for a few years, so I might as well get my moneys worth!" to convince SWMBO to let me have all the extras I wanted :D

#20 ·
For me, it was the AWD of the 30T that clinched it. I needed a car that could do 500 miles in the depths of winter. I was considering a V6 F-Pace but I would have essentially been paying £12k extra for a bit more space that I didn't need. As long as you make sure you get the options you want, you won't be disapointed with any Xe.

#21 ·
To me the V6 XE is way more than the sum of its parts. After two years of ownership it still never fails to put a smile on my face

#22 ·
VN17 and LK17 would both have made my shortlist. I was looking at V6 XEs for several months before buying mine and you will struggle to find another car with as a high a spec as VN17. I love the look of the 20" Propellers, but bought a car on the 19" Venoms that ticked all my other boxes and happy with that decision.

Worth checking date of first registration as any V6 registered from 1 April 2017 will attract the luxury car tax supplement. My 340 is March 2017, so just escaped. But if you want a 380 I think they will all be later than April 2017.

#23 ·
I can certainly see the points raised by the guys saying they'd opt for the newer car with slightly less performance. And as some of the comments have said, this could certainly be considered the "wise" choice. But, being someone that opted for the V6 less that 6 months ago, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I considered many of the same points raised in this thread (although the warranty issue can be solved by buying the extension through Jaguar so that's not an argument in my opinion), and thought very much the same that the wise choice would be less performance and newer. But, personally, buying a car like this isn't about being wise. All of the logic melts away when you hear that V6.

I'm sure if I'd gone for the sensible option I'd be more than happy with the end result, but the first time I was overtaken by a V6 XE S I would've been gutted that I wasn't in the other car. Having driven by many P250 & 300s, I've never once regretted my heart over head decision.

G
#24 ·
CraigPXE said:
P13 NMS
VN17 OGZ
LK17 ZCZ

It would be great if the former keepers were on here. Long shot I know, but thought I may as well ask!

Thanks in advance,
Craig.
Hi, I don't venture over here very often as I live over on the F-Type sister forum.

See - https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37273&hilit=PNC#p37264

P13 NMS - Car number 28189 (380ps).

VN17 OGZ - Press car. Currently on a SVR F-Type. That is not correct reg plate.

LK17 ZCZ - Car number 11212 (340ps).

If you need/want the full VINs for Topix (factory spec) or Service History etc or if you want a PNC check or history search then let me know. I cannot help with VN17 as that according to Jaguar system and PNC is sat on a V8 F-Type.

#25 ·
simpler said:
CraigPXE said:
P13 NMS
VN17 OGZ
LK17 ZCZ

Thanks in advance,
Craig.
Hi, I don't venture over here very often as I live over on the F-Type sister forum.

See - https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37273&hilit=PNC#p37264

P13 NMS - Car number 28189 (380ps).

VN17 OGZ - Press car. Currently on a SVR F-Type. That is not correct reg plate.

LK17 ZCZ - Car number 11212 (340ps).

If you need/want the full VINs for Topix (factory spec) or Service History etc or if you want a PNC check or history search then let me know. I cannot help with VN17 as that according to Jaguar system and PNC is sat on a V8 F-Type.
Hi Simpler, just looked on Autotrader and I think the V6 Craig is looking at is VN17 OGJ. :)

G
#26 ·
Nuttyspark said:
Hi Simpler, just looked on Autotrader and I think the V6 Craig is looking at is VN17 OGJ. :)
Ah!!!

VN17 OGJ = Car number 14956 (380 PS)

One of the first XE-S 380's off the line. A Jaguar press car and maintained by Jaguar and then leased to Paragon Fleet Solutions after that.
Used my all UK motoring magazines

Examples:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xe/90191/jaguar-xe-s-2017-review
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/jaguar/xe/first-drives/jaguar-xe-s-2017-review

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.