Opinions please

All Jaguar XE related discussions
gsb1970

Opinions please

Post by gsb1970 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:15 am

Hi folks.

My XE180 r sport lease is coming to an end this November. I love this car so I'd like to consider another.

This is where I'd like some input if possible.

I'd like to have something a little different so im considering going petrol. Over nearly 5 years the cars covered just under 45000miles, so would petrol be the way to go and, if so which engine?

I would like some opinions on AWD also (I use a set of winter wheels currently)

R sport/prestige....is there much of a difference in suspension and driving feel?

Would like to keep the road tax down so opinions advice most welcome.

Thanks

Graham
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

Pete McK

Re: Opinions please

Post by Pete McK » Thu May 14, 2020 3:09 am

If it's any help, I find the quoted 'combined' MPG figure is pretty damn close to what I get on the motorway at a steady 75 mph. Have a scan through Autotrader and the likes, you can get the figures from there.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

XE123

Post by XE123 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:54 am

gsb1970 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:15 am
Hi folks.

My XE180 r sport lease is coming to an end this November. I love this car so I'd like to consider another.

This is where I'd like some input if possible.

I'd like to have something a little different so im considering going petrol. Over nearly 5 years the cars covered just under 45000miles, so would petrol be the way to go and, if so which engine?

I would like some opinions on AWD also (I use a set of winter wheels currently)

R sport/prestige....is there much of a difference in suspension and driving feel?

Would like to keep the road tax down so opinions advice most welcome.

Thanks

Graham
Hi Mate. If you are doing roughly 9000 miles a year then a petrol would be the way to go as far as DPF's are concerned. However if you haven't had issues with your car at all then there would be no need to change to a petrol I wouldn't think.

It depends what power you want really. The petrol 250hp one costs less I believe than the 180 diesel but offers quite a significant jump in power and responsiveness.

I have the 250 and the MPG has averaged over months and months of driving to 33.5mpg. (Based on a rough 50% motorway 30% A roads and 20% country lane driving route).

AWD would be fantastic in winter. But, continue using your winter tyres. AWD will get you going, it won't help you stop if you suddenly need to ;)

The R Sport is firmer, but I haven't really ever been bothered by the bumpyness and I drive down some seriously horrendous roads!

I believe the Tax is quite significantly cheaper on the 180d currently however and if you keep it just under the 40k mark when you spec if up then you won't get stung by the added £300 from the luxury vehicle tax.

I have managed to spec up some very lovely XE's under the 40k mark. I will share some on here later for you to browse if you like :D
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 am

I have the diesel 180 R Sport with stiff suspension as you have. I have had several loans for service of all models and the Presige and Portfolio most definitely have a softer feel, that's not unsporty but certainly softer. My road, where I live, looks pretty smooth but has hundreds of small indents. Those loans were much smoother over them that my R Sport 180. I would go petrol now and the 250. There is nothing wrong with the diesel and it is one of the claenest on the road. Mercedes have now been caught out with cheat devices on their diesels, which they deny, along with VW. The latter is so far losing a court battle for compensation in a mass sueing. The best thing to do when this Covid allows, is to go and test drive all versions before you buy or lease. Personally I won't change mine until road tax becomes a level playing field where everyone, inc electric and hybrid pay the same. I pay £30 at present and would be happy to pay more if it was fair. Better still, put fuel duty up and those who use their cars a lot pay that bit more. I do around 3500/annum and a 5p on fuel would cost £175. Yes I should have bought a petrol car but at the time we didn't expect illness and this Covid to keep that mileage down.

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:09 am

Thanks for your responses guys, really useful and appreciated.
Should have said that I'm looking at buying a used 2016-17, hence looking at cars that don't take it into the new car road tax bracket. Not sure how I can find the original list price of used cars (autotrader etc)
Reason for maybe going from r sport to portfolio is because it's different to what I have (seats, grill)

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am

Gooday. We had the 25T R sport and I've driven a few portfolios. The 25T is a lovely engine although I found the transmission hunts for the right gear a lot and is better driven in dynamic. The 20T on the other hand I thought was a better match of engine and transmission in normal mode, even though it wasnt as quick. I'd expect economy around 30mpg in whatever you get, driving with some enthusiasm from time to time.

Portfolio in the pre 2020 models gives you a more premium feel to the interior, maybe a little less snazzy on the exterior. The R Sport suspension is tuned slightly differently from memory but ride is something that I think is perfect in all XE's, especially on 19's.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu May 14, 2020 9:27 am

If you are looking at 2016/17 then remember the MY18 which came out at the beginning of April 2017 had some nice new touches and generally seemed bug free to me at least.
Easiest identifier is a sliding cup holder cover but the digital dash which some had is really nice too.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 am

I must admit at the time of my purchse of my XE 180D R Sport I tried them all inc XF's and still found the R Sport best for me. The V6 put me off at the time as I thought that it would gobble fuel. I agree with Phil that the digidash and cup cover with a few other tweeks puts the slightly later MY 2018 model in the frame for cost and better build.

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am

Realistically it's an MY18 build I would be looking for. Just don't want to get into high road tax! Frustrating that I can't actually go look at the moment

Borat1987

Post by Borat1987 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am

Have you thought about a XF x260? Would be similar to what you have now but still a nice change, slightly different interior and exterior?