XE Production Restart

All Jaguar XE related discussions
PhilB

Re: XE Production Restart

Post by PhilB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:52 am

spritely wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:10 am
I personally would be very disappointed if the Xe is no longer made - think it is the best car in the range apart from the F type. They are such a beautiful looking car imho. I love mine.
Yep and near enough 26,000 sales last year isn't to be sniffed at.
The XF sales are getting dire and there's a facelift on the way so maybe it's another refresh.
The only issue with introducing a mild hybrid or a plug in job is that it will need a major revamp to the floorpan for the batteries/modules and the engine bay where the "BISG" sits alongside the engine.
The XE is a north south fit so it will need some serious fettling.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Exocet

Post by Exocet » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:30 pm

I was also in the unfortunate position to order a car in February of this year, and have had a similar call from the dealer.

As the dealer explained it to me: No more MY20 cars will now be made, any outstanding orders are cancelled with the option to put in a new order for an MY21 car instead. Those of us with cancelled orders are to be given priority (behind demonstrators) and should not be out of pocket.

Details of what the changes are for MY21 cars are currently unclear, but the expectation is that they will be minor. The dealer did say they would update me as soon as they had any more detail.

Realistic estimate for delivery is December or January of next year. Must admit, I was not expecting to wait a year for delivery!

Jagalong

Post by Jagalong » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Sometimes I think Autocar speculative reports are never knowingly right. It would not seem to make any sense to discontinue the XE and leave the XF in production as they have so much in common. Only if there was a very high demand for the XF and a shortage of production capacity, would this look like being a possibility, and we know that is not the case.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:45 am

lexie wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 pm
There was a statement made back in 2017 that new models after 2020 would be hybrid or EV. The new defender and the forthcoming XJ uses the MLA architecture that is to underpin future models. It could be that the lockdown has brought this forward and a hybrid Jag will be orderable for delivery in the new year, or the range gets slimmed down with more equipment as standard, as often happens to boost sales and run out to a major update.
I still don’t get the point of a hybrid. Plug in hybrids that have a 30 mile range can be good for people who literally drive down the road to work, especially if you can charge it at work for the drive home.

Outside of that they seem to have all the negatives of a petrol or Diesel engine. Tons of moving parts that need expensive servicing etc.

Fully electric does away with a lot of that in my mind, clean, limited moving parts. In theory shouldn’t get as many major issues. I have been seriously tempted by Tesla Model 3 in the past but COVID and the uncertainty it’s brought make it too expensive of a commitment right now.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 am

It's just getting rid of the knackered batteries after 5 years full of dangerous chemicals and metals. Then the new ones are estimated at £30,000 to replace.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:10 am

That's not true is it?

The latest batteries should last 500,000 miles with some drop off in range along the way. They also cost under $7000 to replace in the Model 3.

With regards to dangerous chemicals and metals, there has been a serious advance in recycling technology which will continue to develop in the coming years.

I think there are further developments to come in battery technology which might move us away from relying on lithium.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 am

Apparently, the Chinese company that makes batteries for Tesla and VAG have announced a battery that has a 16 year/2 million km lifespan.

Only time will tell if they are correct.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:13 am

There are growing environmental concerns over the extraction of Lithium coupled with child slave labour issues as well.
They are going to have to find an alternative battery that can be fully recharged in 5 minutes and can last for 350 Miles plus if they ever want to make significant inroads in attracting people away from petrol/diesel.
Oh and one that doesn't put the weight of an average saloon over 2 tonnes.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.