Squeak/rattle

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Hillmangt

Re: Squeak/rattle

Post by Hillmangt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:02 pm

In reply to Vespa no I don’t have a panoramic roof. The only extra I don’t have unfortunately..
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:53 pm

I have been looking at the workshop manual and there could be a problem with folding seat latches not locking tightly with no rear seat passengers. Also there are quite a few wires passing to the sides of the seat and these could rattle. The C pillar trim panel may not be fully secure and may need pushing home. Broken clips here could also be a cause. There is also a clip mid centre at the rear of the headliner that may be broken or loose. That looks a right sod of a job to do if it's that.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Mikeyhc1 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:51 pm
I’ve now moved onto wedging things down good to see if it makes any difference. I read somewhere on here that the rear shocks can squeak mine seems to be an interior rattle.

Has yours got folding rear seats? Mine has not ☹️
I found a business card for somebody from Jaguar West London wedged into the inside of the little pocket in the drivers door. When I took it out that it started to have a slight rattle so I returned it :lol:

It’s an OY car which can apparently often mean it’s was a Jaguar works car. I suspect it’s been jammed down there for the last 4.5 ish years :lol:

The odd squeaks can be annoying, but I’ve never had a car that didn’t have some sort of noise. It’s kind of part of the charm of a car assembled in the UK :lol:
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

hkwj88

Post by hkwj88 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:19 am

I have been trying to locate the rattling sound in the car when I was driving and one fine day, when I finally decided to tighten the loose bonnet that was Annoying me the rattling sound in the car never surfaced again.

Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 am

Mine has spent 17 week in dealership over the last two years while they investigated a squeak creak from the nearside rear corner.
Last time they had it for 7 weeks, most of which they claimed there was nothing wrong with it. The workshop foreman drove it to my place of work for me to test drive it (it took him 50 minutes) claiming he couldn’t hear it. We turned out of the gate, covered 300 yards before he had to admit there was an issue.

I can’t decide which is worse, the build quality of the car, or the level of service in the dealerships.

If it wasn’t so much fun to drive ( as long as the stereo is cranked up ) I’d have probably put a match to it by now

It’s better than it was, but it’s back in in August, apparently it’s coming from the suspension plate
Xe S 340 in Dark Sapphire with black pack and 19” Venoms
Black Alcantara interior, Meridian sound system, head-up display, auto main beam.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:59 am

hkwj88 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:19 am
I have been trying to locate the rattling sound in the car when I was driving and one fine day, when I finally decided to tighten the loose bonnet that was Annoying me the rattling sound in the car never surfaced again.
This isn't uncommon. When I picked up my car from new, it was a bit cross eyed. They resolved that presumably by adjusting the stoppers which corrected the alignment but left the bonnet a tiny bit loose on the catches.

I decided to bypass the dealer and after 10 minutes with a socket had sorted it out. For info the XE has adjusters on the catch itself and also on the bonnet 'hooks'.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 am

Prof Pat Pending wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 am
Mine has spent 17 week in dealership over the last two years while they investigated a squeak creak from the nearside rear corner.
Last time they had it for 7 weeks, most of which they claimed there was nothing wrong with it. The workshop foreman drove it to my place of work for me to test drive it (it took him 50 minutes) claiming he couldn’t hear it. We turned out of the gate, covered 300 yards before he had to admit there was an issue.

I can’t decide which is worse, the build quality of the car, or the level of service in the dealerships.

If it wasn’t so much fun to drive ( as long as the stereo is cranked up ) I’d have probably put a match to it by now

It’s better than it was, but it’s back in in August, apparently it’s coming from the suspension plate
I think I'd posted previously and can confirm a similar issue. On mine there was an issue with the riveting and bonding. It took a while for them to sort out and when I got the car back you could probably have got high in the back as they had clearly used a lot of adhesive.

Annoyingly they fixed that and then the rear seat started to rattle. Turns out they had broken some of the clips.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:51 am

Check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5221

Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:19 am

Wastegate84 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 am

I think I'd posted previously and can confirm a similar issue. On mine there was an issue with the riveting and bonding. It took a while for them to sort out and when I got the car back you could probably have got high in the back as they had clearly used a lot of adhesive.

Annoyingly they fixed that and then the rear seat started to rattle. Turns out they had broken some of the clips.
You did indeed, I showed it to them, but they were too busy claiming there was nothing wrong with it. I took them for a test drive proving there was and showed them again, but they were too busy swapping out suspension bushes that it didn’t need (still, I know they’re good :D )
I pointed it to them again, but they were busy trying to figure out why I was moaning at them for test driving the car with an active tyre inflation alarm on the corner they claimed didn’t have a creak. It took them a while to understand why the alarm was active, I had to suggest that they check the tyre size and cross reference the recommended pressures :shock:
Xe S 340 in Dark Sapphire with black pack and 19” Venoms
Black Alcantara interior, Meridian sound system, head-up display, auto main beam.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Prof Pat Pending wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 am

I think they go hand in glove with each other. What gets me is they always deny any suggestions of what the problem could be, thinking they know best, but getting nowhere.

Mine is going in next week regarding a vibration/rumbling that it's had since new, but they refused to acknowledge there was a problem originally and now won't listen to any suggestions I give them as to whats causing it. (Incidentally I have a strong suspicion its the propshaft but they haven't done anything about it yet so will be interested to see what they try this time)
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport