Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

All Jaguar XE related discussions
XEBuyer500

Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

Post by XEBuyer500 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:56 pm

https://derby.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/u ... to-mqca6hr

Budget is around 16k (at max 18k if it's a very good deal!)

Requirements:
Black exterior and interior
R-Sport
Nice alloys would be a bonus

Which engine should I select? 180 or 163?

Are there any differences between a 2015 reg and say a 2018 reg?

Is it ever a good idea to buy a car from a private seller that still has outstanding finance?

Thanks!

Deleted User 5720

Re: Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

Post by Deleted User 5720 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 pm

I am in the same boat as you, currently looking to buy.

There are many engine choices, but out of the two you mention (both Diesel) it seems that the 180ps engine is preferred.

There are certainly some differences between 2015 and 2018 cars, a mild update happened sometime in 2017 I believe - easy way to tell is that later cars have a sliding cover over the cup holders on the centre console, early cars don't.

And I think you already know the answer to your last point - never buy a car from a private seller that has outstanding finance!

There are loads of resources on the internet to help you, reviews, road tests, specifications etc - Google (or your search engine of choice) is your friend!

There are many knowledgeable people on here who will be along I'm sure to help you out.

Good luck with your search.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 pm

First thing I'd say is research the options available and choose what's important for you. The car posted for example, would seem to have the entry level 80w sound system, and some people find that inadequate.

For a car that's out of original warranty I'd suggest looking at Jaguar approved cars. You'll get a years Jaguar warranty and the dealer will set up the online accounts if required.

Don't be put off other specs as well, Portfolio's tend to be nicely specced and go just as well as the R-Sports. For up to £18k, there are some cars on the Jag website.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:47 am

The car you are looking at is the 180 as described as it has twin visible exhausts. The 163 has hidden exhausts. This car also does NOT have folding seats in the rear as there are no yellow pulls visible in the boot. You mention the 2018 version also and that was facelifted with a different instrument panel (much better in my opinion) I would suggest going for a high spec car with all the singing and dancing extras such as panoramic sunroof (which I have never used only once) and heated memory seats etc etc There is a lot of extras available which on a 2nd hand car will only put a couple of hundred quid on the price but may be worth around £5K on it's price when new. Early cars had quite a few glitches and I had most that were fixed under warranty, but now have the air con problem that some suffered. As advised go to see a Jaguar dealer and get the Jaguar warranty. It may cost a bit more but may also save on any repairs if they crop up. Later models were more reliable as most problems were sorted by JLR. I have been on this site for nearly 5 years and have noticed a drop in problems as newer cars have been developed. I like my XE but at times wanted to change it in the first 2-3 years due to the niggles.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 am

I used this site to find my car: https://heycar.co.uk
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

Paulclarkie

Post by Paulclarkie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 am

The upgraded infotainment system was a must for me for Google maps and android auto in general.
Jaguar XE 2.0d [180] R-Sport 4dr - Caesium Blue

Exterior black pack, Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Sound System, Parking Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Split Folding Rear Seat,

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm

It looks like a nice car. However, why go for diesel? The early diesels are not so reliable and any problems you find on this forum seem to relate to diesel issues. The 2017 onward petrol cars have the new Ingenium engine, which is smooth, responsive and reasonably economic to run. I have the 200PS which regularly gives the mid 40's mpg on a run. It's also a much nicer refined drive. The 250PS engine is a little quicker and is now the basic petrol engine fitted to the new models. For some reason, Jag have decided to discontinue the 200PS engine, which is more than adequate for most people. 0 to 60 mph in around 7 secs isn't bad. :D
Now listen to all the diesel fans out there respond. ;)
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Probably because the bulk of early cars were diesel and a new design engine. Funnily enough the 180 was said to do 0-60 in 7.3 then it went to 7.5 and now it is 7.8. Possibly due to Adblue dosing and emissions controls needed tightening. I would now get a petrol version but not until the road tax is the same rate for everyone, inc milk floats.

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:00 pm

I would definitely buy petrol and as late a model as you can afford with appropriate mileage for the year. There are a lot of low mileage cars available. Buy from a Jaguar dealer as a warranty is a must and deal hard as they have a lot of stock to get rid of. Make a list of extras you must have and stick with it and try to be a bit flexible with colour combinations and make sure you drive the car and it sounds and feels ok. Also try to get the wheels you want on the car as they are expensive to buy new although you can get them secondhand.
Take your time and find the correct car for you.
Do not buy privately if the car is on finance as they will be waiting for your cash to pay off the balance and they may just forget!
I sold cars for a large dealer in the late eighties and learned never to trust anyone when buying or selling cars. Always cover your back and you have lots of rights when you buy from a main dealer.
Good luck and enjoy the search.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

XEBuyer500

Post by XEBuyer500 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:00 pm
Probably because the bulk of early cars were diesel and a new design engine. Funnily enough the 180 was said to do 0-60 in 7.3 then it went to 7.5 and now it is 7.8. Possibly due to Adblue dosing and emissions controls needed tightening. I would now get a petrol version but not until the road tax is the same rate for everyone, inc milk floats.
Hi guys thanks so much!

So why is everyone recommending a petrol version?

From what I've read diesel engines seem to last longer lifespan wise.

Would this car have the new petrol?
https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/link/143748092