Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BOBCDP

Re: Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 pm

If I was buying now I would go petrol too, Mainly because of a slight worry about timing chain problems which although not widespread, seem to happening to diesels rather than petrols. Can be very expensive if the engine goes pop.

It depends what is important to you as regards specifications. As long as it has a radio or as they like to call it these days Infotainment, i personally would not be bothered if it only had the base 80W system. For me it's absolutely fine but I know for others their music is a big thing and they want the better systems.

I would also look out for folding rear seats, heated windscreen and steering wheel (cold pack) and a spare wheel rather than a can of goo.

Note also they do not have folding mirrors as standard if that's important to you.

Make sure you check the air con too. Set it to Lo and check with your hand that the air coming out of both centre vents is cold. If one side is warmer than the other, there is almost certainly a gas leak somewhere.

Check that the Sat Nav is working ok as some new owners have reported that the plug in card located in a socket in the centre glove compartment between the seats was missing and as they are specific to the car, if it isn't there, It's an absolute pain to get one and have it programmed to the car.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats.
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 pm

I am not recommending petrol just saying I would buy petrol next time if the road tax was equal for all because I can have that bit more BHP My diesel car was one of the first off production so I expected a few niggles and got a few but all were sorted by my dealer except for many attempts at getting the stop/start to function properly. We are best not discussing that on here as my original posts on the subject went to 90 pages and was going around in circles. Diesel engines do generally last longer but a well looked after petrol will outlast the rest of the car. Diesels are now frowned upon by the great green revolution even though they are extremely clean these days and the XE is Euro 6 compliant. Not like VW, Audi and Mercedes who fitted defeat devices to fool the test equipment. If you buy diesel and I see no reason not to, buy a high spec 180. Go for as much extras as you can get and make sure that you keep the Adblue topped up. DO NOT overfill or the electronics will throw it into limp mode and starts will be limited. The petrol engine versions now have Ingenium engines and as yet are quite new so faults are yet to appear, and they will at some point. I personally would not worry about timing chains as I think that is a grey area. Just have annual oil changes and not two yearly.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Ask the dealer if it is a Ford unit or Jaguar as I am not sure when the change took place to Ingenium engines.

Zingiber

Post by Zingiber » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:49 pm
Ask the dealer if it is a Ford unit or Jaguar as I am not sure when the change took place to Ingenium engines.
MY2018 is when they changed (Correction: some 17 plates). Though it's easy to check as it'll say "Ingenium" on the engine cover.
Last edited by Zingiber on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY2018 XE 25t R-Sport • Caesium Blue • Midnight Blue interior • InControl Touch Pro • 380w Meridian sound system.
It's got a CD player player player player player player

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:08 pm

My previous 240 was registered in March 2017.
I think the 1st of the Ingenium petrol engines didn't hit the roads until May or June of 2017.

As others have said, the Meridian Pro system is the better sounding, is more upgradable and doesn't have physical buttons on the head unit.

Lumbar support was only an option but worth having, as is the heated front screen, folding mirrors and folding rear seats.

The panoramic roof lets in more light but looks ugly when open and with aircon, no need to open it anyway.

The seats in the R-Sport hold you more securely and from the outside the R-Sport looks better too.

The Black Pack is also a worthwhile visual addition.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

RalphieM

Post by RalphieM » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 pm

XEBuyer500 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi guys thanks so much!

So why is everyone recommending a petrol version?

From what I've read diesel engines seem to last longer lifespan wise.

Would this car have the new petrol?
https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/link/143748092
It is now becoming apparent that the diesel engined models can have a few major issues, faulty turbos being one and the other being timing chains.
Neither of which are a problem if the car is still in warranty but once out of warranty they are mega expensive, especially the timing chain as that is an engine out job.
Thats not to say the petrol versions don't have their faults because they do, I had a new turbo under warranty because the actuator was rattling
The ingenium engined 2.0ltr petrol is a good and refined engine although it must be said the earlier Ford engine was not bad either.
I have achieved a best of 44mpg in my 25T and average low 30's, I don't graanny around and quite often have mine in sport and dynamic mode.
Petrol all day long for me but only you can decide dependant on your individual needs.
If the listing is correct it states i4 engine which is the newer ingenium type.
MY18 Dark Sapphire R-Sport 250, Black Pack, Heated Screen, Heated Steering Wheel, Dual Screen ICT Pro, TFT Cluster, Meridian surround sound,19" Sparkle Silver 5071's, Ebony/Light Oyster, Adaptive & Configurable dynamics.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Quick guide to petrols: If the add says 200, 250 or 300ps, then it's the Ingenium engine. If 240ps is listed, then it's the Ford engine.

Assuming the car is advertised correctly, of course.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:59 pm

Test drive a diesel AND a petrol and see what you prefer. Internet forums are notorious for highlighting "problems" that are only a result of misconceptions in many cases. IMO you will have just as much chance of a petrol or a diesel causing you problems. Personally, I prefer the drivability and torque of a diesel - not to mention the 60+mpg on the motorway. If you do short trips and buy a petrol car, prepare yourself for regular visits to the petrol station, because 20-30mpg will be the norm.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm

It is personal preference really. I have driven a number of diesels over the years but only owned one a Volvo V70 D5. It was a great car and gave me around 29 mpg around town and high 30s on a run but though very comfortable and quiet while cruising it was noisy and vibrated at idle and low speeds as most diesels do. My criteria when buying my Jag was it had to travel between my home in Surrey to Glasgow or Edinburgh without having to refuel with a preference for petrol and had to be automatic. It does this easily and in theory petrol is cleaner and hopefully less likely to be overtaxed by the government in the future as I do tend to keep my cars for a while. I’ve had my other one for 16 years.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:46 am

Jeff123 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:59 pm
Test drive a diesel AND a petrol and see what you prefer. Internet forums are notorious for highlighting "problems" that are only a result of misconceptions in many cases. IMO you will have just as much chance of a petrol or a diesel causing you problems. Personally, I prefer the drivability and torque of a diesel - not to mention the 60+mpg on the motorway. If you do short trips and buy a petrol car, prepare yourself for regular visits to the petrol station, because 20-30mpg will be the norm.
Spot on!