Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Faltwen

Re: Help me choose a used Jag! Is this good? 16k Budget, Black XE R-Sport

Post by Faltwen » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:04 am

My car is a MY17 registered April 16. It's the Ford 20T.
If you go petrol, don't be put off by the Ford engine, it's well proven and reliable.
Best mpg I've had is 51 on a 200 mile journey with no stops. Average about 37 but on any journey over 30 miles it's easy to achieve 40-43 mpg.
Although the fuel efficiency isn't what I bought it for its even better than my last car. A diesel X Type auto with an awfully designed DPF.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 am

Sorry to throw a grenade in here but I don't agree petrols are just as likely to go wrong as diesels.
You don't have to spend much time on here or do searches to see the issues that crop up regularly on diesels that don't appear on the petrols.
All the aggravation with "wrong" Adblue and crystallised sensors etc.
Stretched timing chains/camshaft sensors pop up fairly regularly.
Yes there can be faults on petrols as there can be from any method of propulsion.
But, not having to worry about issues with Adblue, some of which have resulted in big bills or having engines rebuilt due to timing chain issues would suggest for peace of mind stick with a petrol.
Just my twp pence worth.
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:18 am

How many diesel are there out there?
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2 ... mit=Search

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:24 am

Although I'm no diesel lover, due to my last car, I do appreciate the low down torque and find that the petrol can easily catch you out when the turbo kicks in and sets off like a scalded cat.
I feel that the reason diesels are supposedly more unreliable is that they are more common.
When I bought my petrol 2 years ago it was the only petrol amongst 15 XE's in the dealers.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:49 am

I thought my diesel Xe was great, but there was always that question mark at the back of my mind about reliability. It only got used for long journeys so DPF issues were unlikely but Adblue warnings seemed to pop up frequently for other people. Add into the mix the political demonisation of Derv, and I just felt it was time to switch back to petrol.

Plus I wanted more toys :)
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:31 am

If the next generation XE has the mild hybrid system then the argument for extra torque will go out of the window as well.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Jagalong

Post by Jagalong » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:39 pm

I was looking for a petrol late last year when a well specced Portfolio D180 popped up at a dealers near me. Having had a look and a test drive, it just had to be mine. I was happy to compromise on the diesel as I have in the past wasted far too much time and effort waiting for the ideal car to arrive, only to find it never does. The petrol is quieter and more refined at lower speeds, and better if a lot of shorter journeys are made where the engine temp may not get up to its normal value. Not so good for a petrol either of course, but much worse for a diesel. The downsides of the diesel for me are the gruff engine note when accelerating from rest, and on cold startup. However this is more than made up for the lovely dollop of low down torque from the diesel and the 1800 rpm at 80 mph with 60 mpg on the motorway. During lockdown I had to make a 120 mile round journey on the M25 and A3, and was able to set the cruise control for 73 mph and with the light traffic only had to slow down and get up to speed again no more than half a dozen times. The consumption was 64 mpg. I call that a result.

lexie

Post by lexie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:03 pm

I'd be considering an XES. The 3.0 V6 supercharged lump turns a very nice car into something glorious. Costs are higher, granted, so it depends on whether you are doing a high mileage. Our F type averages 30mpg in mixed driving compared to 34mpg for the 2.0 petrol XE, insurance costs are circa +10% too. The 3,0 litre Ford derived engine is well proven. Smiles per mile it's on a different level to most
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Rob Wright wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Quick guide to petrols: If the add says 200, 250 or 300ps, then it's the Ingenium engine. If 240ps is listed, then it's the Ford engine.

Assuming the car is advertised correctly, of course.
Not strictly true, the Ford engine was also available as a 200 with a single exhaust, the 240 had exhausts both sides!
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:13 pm

Apologies to all, my mistake!

Thanks for correcting me :)

If it's an Ingenium 20t, it'll have the dual exhausts and about 145 CO's. The Ford 20t has a single exhaust and 180 'ish CO's.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.