Post by phil-c » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:54 am

Are these a good or bad thing.
I don't have a garage and a neighbour had pigeons and doves,
I am constantly cleaning when it doesn't always need it :evil:
XE 2L Diesel [180] Portfolio

Gojira

Re: Car Covers

Post by Gojira » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:30 am

I thought about one for mine - despite being 80+ miles from the sea, we have a major seagull colony a few hundred yards away! :o

But I'd still need to clean all the evidence off the cover, plus all the faffing about with it, it's probably not worth it....

The crap seems to come off fairly easily, so long as it isn't left too long to bake on.

Rather than a cover, what I'd really like is a seagull-seeking laser cannon :twisted:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:39 am

The F-Type lot are always going on about this as many are "seasonal" cars and some live outside during the winter.
The issue can be one of a good, tight fit.
If there is any grit on the car or inside the cover and it sits there moving in the wind then it will slowly sandpaper the car.
They seem to go for a soft cover then a waterproof job over the top.
Keep their cars nice and snug.
Aw bless.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Phil is correct, grit would be an issue if you didn't wash the car every single time you put on the cover. It would be impossible to avoid causing fine scratches as the cover is installed and then removed.

If you can use a decent wax or ceramic coating then you might get away with pointing the garden hose at the dropping and it will slide off.

Local pigeons are a nightmare, eating my grass seeds and messing on the car!

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Bought a cover for my wife's car to keep the bird crap off it as it was damaging the paint. The cover seemed really good quality so when I bought my XE I got another one. It came from these guys: https://www.shieldautocare.co.uk. They sell off their website and also via eBay. I bought the heavy duty version and they recommended the XL size. It arrived very quickly, even during lockdown.

The cover has a soft lining. There is a strap that goes under the car and ties at each corner that you can attach to the wheels. So it does not move about too much in the wind. It has been on for a couple of months and is certainly keeping the bird crap, tree sap and cat paw prints off the car.

As with all covers if you use the car every day they are a pain. But with the limited use my car is getting at the moment it is a good solution.

Another advantage of the cover is that it stops the car from attracting the attention of any passing lowlife.

IMG_0401.jpeg

IMG_0402.jpeg

Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)