Am I being ripped off for software update?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Bez625

Am I being ripped off for software update?

Post by Bez625 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:26 am

Hi all,

I bought a 67 plate XE a month ago and loving it and it really helped reading through the forums of other peoples experiences so a massive thanks for that!

I noticed after about 3 weeks that the auto stop/start wasnt working and booked it in to get it looked at - I asked on the phone if this was covered by warranty and the response was "if the battery need replacing then no, otherwise it should be".

After reading the very detailed threads on this topic in the Faults and Technical section I suspected the fixes were probably a software update and a bit of a charge. I got a call back confirming my suspicions saying the fault was down to the software and they wanted to charge me 2 hours labour to do the software update and 1 hour labour to do the charge and this wasnt covered by warranty. :shock:

I immediately told him not to bother as I'd bought this car off them a month before and I wasnt paying an extra £500 to get it in to the condition it should have been sold in. I also queried why this wasnt covered by the warranty or why this hadnt been done a month ago when i was sold the car being told "we will perform all software updates as part of preparing it for sale" - the answer came that the fix was updating the battery software and not the car software, which for me seemed weak.

3 hours sounds absolutely scandalous to plug this in to a machine, download the software and then clip in some charging cables. As someone who is a software developer for a living I cannot believe it takes them 2 hours actual labour to do the software update, but im no expert in this particular arena.

Eventually we agreed one hour labour to do the work, but im still pretty angry im having to pay at all. I think an hour seems reasonable to do the software update and give it a charge if i had just showed up at a random garage, but I feel this should be covered by warranty or that they should be doing this as an after sales service when the car was sold to me in this way a month ago.

Am I being unreasonable?
Are these software updates really separate between car and battery?
Will JLR really not pay them to update poor software in their cars?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, black, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, cup holder cover

BRC

Re: Am I being ripped off for software update?

Post by BRC » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 am

Rather sounds to me as if you are dealing with chancers. They are talking bowlocks. Is the dealer a Jaguar franchise or other? When did the manufactures warrenty run out?
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:39 am

If it’s 67 reg then it’s still under warranty I would guess. If it’s a jag dealer the stop/start should have been working when you bought the car and IMO they should sort it out for you FOC.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Ian0304

Post by Ian0304 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 am

If you bought it from a dealership you should have the 12 months used approved warranty but as said a 67 plate may still be within the manufacturers 3 year warranty so a little more robust. Regardless I’d suggest these faults should be addressed FOC under each warranty and I’d strongly push for this. It feels like another dealership trying to cut corners and wanting the readies upfront straight away but may also reflect Jaguar massively tightening their purse strings lately when it comes to paying out on warranty claims. My local dealership suggested Jaguar are rejecting claims (or reducing monies to cover work) an awful lot more potentially as a result of covid to some degree. I’d personally fight to get this resolved under warranty it can’t harm to try.
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, grey, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, split/folding rear seats.

Bez625

Post by Bez625 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:54 am

Really appreciate the responses! Yes it is under both manufacturer warranty and dealership. These guys are claiming they are an approved JLR centre, but have just been approved and are waiting for the official branding and everything put up. This was over a month ago and im still not seeing them listed on the jaguar website, but I'm giving them benefit of doubt for now given covid etc..

They said they spoke to the warranty people and that it wasn't covered (i'm assuming manufacturers) so it could be JLR tightening their belts, but that is a bit flimsy for me. If they were buying and fitting parts I'd be more sympathetic, but given how light the work is and that they sold it to me in this state a month ago im getting more convinced i should stand my ground.

Do any of you guys know if it is true that the batteries have software on them or is that just nonsense and the software is actually on the car?
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, black, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, cup holder cover

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Software on a battery - nah! Software is within the car and does need to be told when a new battery has been installed which is not your case.
The point is you bought the car which was supposed to be fully functional unless you were told otherwise. Clearly it isn't ergo warrenty foc fixes need to be made to make it work.
Kick up a real stink with this lot and remind them of the sale of goods act.
Last edited by BRC on Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

mrb

Post by mrb » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm

I had the s/s not working and it was fixed by a Jaguar dealer under the Jaguar extended warranty for no charge, which had 2 months left to run after I bought the car. I bought the car privately, but if I had bought from a non Jaguar dealer the Jaguar warranty would not be valid (this happened to me on a previous Jaguar).
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:43 pm

The fix you want is covered by JTB00664v3 "Auto stop/start system does not function as expected"
I had new battery on my 67 XE under warranty stop/start worked for 3 mths then stopped
I told the dealer to do the software update after that no trouble
2020 SE P250 Firenze Red ,Light Oyster Split rear seats, spare wheel,12 way heated front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, + clear sight rear view mirror.
Previous XEs 2015 Prestige; 2017 Portfolio both petrol 200

Bez625

Post by Bez625 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 pm

mrb wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm
I had the s/s not working and it was fixed by a Jaguar dealer under the Jaguar extended warranty for no charge, which had 2 months left to run after I bought the car. I bought the car privately, but if I had bought from a non Jaguar dealer the Jaguar warranty would not be valid (this happened to me on a previous Jaguar).
That's interesting - are you saying that when a non authorised dealer resells a Jaguar then the manufacturers warranty is invalid? That seems really odd to me

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm

That is ridiculous. If the battery or any associated software is faulty during the guarantee period it should be sorted at no charge. Don’t let them get away with that.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats.
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,