Am I being ripped off for software update?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
mrb

Re: Am I being ripped off for software update?

Post by mrb » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 am

Bez625 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 pm
mrb wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm
I had the s/s not working and it was fixed by a Jaguar dealer under the Jaguar extended warranty for no charge, which had 2 months left to run after I bought the car. I bought the car privately, but if I had bought from a non Jaguar dealer the Jaguar warranty would not be valid (this happened to me on a previous Jaguar).
That's interesting - are you saying that when a non authorised dealer resells a Jaguar then the manufacturers warranty is invalid? That seems really odd to me
The original Jaguar manufacturers warranty is fine, it is if it has a Jaguar extended warranty, (mine had a previous owner who had the normal one extended).

Also you have some rights under the sale of goods rights, especially if you have had the car less than 30 days.
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Bez625

Post by Bez625 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks very much all after some reading on the AA website https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights I think im entitled to a repair from them as this is a fault that existed with the car when sold. I think they will try and argue that this is wear and tear, but i'm going to argue that it's a fault and the solution is down to them to fix and isnt related to a wear and tear item, i.e. the battery doesnt need replacing its a software fault.
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, black, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, cup holder cover

mrb

Post by mrb » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 am

Yes you should. Some dealers refuse but they are liable. It is clearly a software fault. I have had success twice with this, once on an old BMW which they argued was old so would have faults anyway! After some correspondence with their 'solicitors' we settled on £200 which covered ABS and another fault. Took a while but worth it. As you say they have to prove the fault was not there when they sold it.
2017 MY R-Sport AWD XE with ACC, Configurable Dynamics, etc, etc. Previous Jags: XJ6 series 2, XJ X350, XFS Portfolio.

Bez625

Post by Bez625 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 pm

So I tried arguing consumer rights act and they produced a document i'd never seen before with their checklist and they had it as working when I bought the car. They also carried on that the software wasnt covered by the warranty, in the end i just paid the hours labour and left (also paid for a wheel to be touched up after i kerbed it and they did a great job of that).

Im livid though as the start/stop still doesnt work. Im fuming with myself for paying before checking it and getting them to prove it. Not really sure what to do next, i called them back and they said if it still doesnt work i can take it back, but im just not sure it's worth it. It costs me money every time i take it to them and if all im going to get is it working once or twice then back to not working its not worth it - and this is before they try and charge me money to "fix" it.

I'll speak to them again and see what the options are - worst case i never go back there again and leave an honest review about how poor the after sales service has been.
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, black, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, cup holder cover

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Contact Jag Customer services Email: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com

Include the link to the pages on the XE forum viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9264
Last edited by Martyn UK on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 SE P250 Firenze Red ,Light Oyster Split rear seats, spare wheel,12 way heated front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, + clear sight rear view mirror.
Previous XEs 2015 Prestige; 2017 Portfolio both petrol 200

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:22 pm

The work carried out should carry a warranty period for its repair, so if it does fail again, you should have grounds for it to be fixed correctly. It may be worth contacting citizens advice for the legal clarification.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 to Sept 20 : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
Oct '20 on : Eiger grey, 1st Edition F Type P300 coupe, MY2021

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 pm

If your car is under three years old, as said before, you should be able to take it to any Jag dealer and they will sort it out for you. I have had 10 years of BMW ownership, but if virtually anything went wrong within the 3 years it was fixed. On the last one, I had a complete set of alloys replaced for some very minor corrosion.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Bez625

Post by Bez625 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 am

Martyn UK wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:20 pm
Contact Jag Customer services Email: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com

Include the link to the pages on the XE forum viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9264
Thanks very much for this suggestion - I have emailed them! I am checking if this software update should be included in the manufacturer warranty and im also trying to validate the claim that this dealership / service centre is about to become and approved JLR.

I spoke to the dealership again this morning and they are going to look at it again and do a software update free of charge. They said there is a software update I didnt allow them to do the first time around, which is absolutely untrue as I said i wasnt willing to pay for 3 hours labour to fix it and we negotiated the price with no mention of multiple software updates or a reduction in the work done.

If Jag CRC confirm this is covered im going to take the car in to an approved service centre and learn a lesson that this place isnt worth dealing with.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm

Surely they’re either a JLR franchised outlet or not... if not then they can’t undertake warranty work. Who are they?
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:16 pm

I am quite curious, who is the garage?
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20