Jaguar, please step up to the plate.

All Jaguar XE related discussions
147daytona

Jaguar, please step up to the plate.

Post by 147daytona » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:43 am

Following PhilB's remark to me in response to a post I made in another topic of a similar title, I thought I'd better start another one in reply.

I am (was?) proud to own a brand new Jag and everyone I know said what a nice car it is but, these same people now also know of the problem my XE has and how long I've been without it and are now always asking "haven't you got that back yet?" and "Oh, I would have thought a prestige brand like Jaguar would be better than that". This obviously gets relayed to their friends as well and so on.

It's now getting embarrassing for me to try to stick up for Jaguar regarding this and I'm sure the service department receptionist at my dealership must feel the same way when he phones to update me on progress just to keep telling me there hasn't been any!

I'd have thought that with the bad press Jaguar keep getting about reliability and poor service they would do all they can to improve things, but 1 week after replying to CRC, my message to them still hasn't even been read!

I know Covid has had an impact on businesses everywhere with lots of people working from home, but surely a company as large as JLR have the facilities in place to at least let their advisers read incoming messages!

I still hope to get my XE back, working as it should, and am sure I will enjoy the driving experience once again, but the memories of the last 6 months will really make me think long and hard in the future about buying any other JLR vehicle, and I'm sure that for some of my friends, and their friends, this saga will have the same effect.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

DABroke

Re: Jaguar, please step up to the plate.

Post by DABroke » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:47 am

I certainly share your feelings as expressed in your post. If Jaguar are really trying to sell themselves as a prestige brand, then I would have thought that this would have been resolved by now.

No one can say that even with the Covid situation you haven't given them every opportunity to get this sorted. If JLR have acknowledged that there is an issue, but really can't successfully diagnose the it, then surely they should be able to make you an offer of compensation by way of a replacement car or financial refund as obviously the product you purchased is not of 'merchantable quality'. This is surely basic 'sale of goods act' stuff.

As someone who has worked for 45 years as an Aero Engine Test Engineer in the Aerospace industry, I can understand that JLR really need to investigate and understand the root cause for the issue, rather than treating the effect, and therefore this may be why things do not appear to be being sorted, but it would be nice if they communicated with you a bit more positively, but at the end of the day there must be a time limit when for you as a customer, they need to draw a line and admit defeat and do the right thing to restore your confidence in the brand.

That said, the model you actually purchased I can understand is special as it has a very similar high specification and colour to mine so can understand that you want your car back working as it should. I certainly would not want to be without mine now!

I was wondering whether you are a member of one of the main motoring organisations such as RAC or AA as if you are their legal team might be able to help get things sorted by applying some legal leverage to JLR. I used the RAC legal team some time ago, when my step daughter had a mishap due to a very poor road surface, and they were brilliant in pursuing a claim against the local authority (and won) and all for zero cost for me. Might be worth exploring.

I do hope you get this sorted soon.
Last edited by DABroke on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY20 Carpathian Grey P250 R-Dynamic HSE. Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Matrix Headlights, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Rear Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Configurable Dynamics, 360 Camera, Clearsight Mirror, Convenience Pack, Red Brake Calipers + load more stuff!

Hillmangt

Post by Hillmangt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:21 pm

You have my sympathies on this.
I find the biggest problem when you have difficulties like this is the lack of good joined up communication from all parties involved and people doing what they are supposed to do like ring you back.
My dealer is appalling at this. I have to chase them and always the usual excuses. It just shows contempt to you as a customer.
As I said before I think the finance company should suspend your payments which should put more pressure on Jaguar to get their act together and treat this as a priority. I would also tell them you are seriously considering rejecting the vehicle as unfit for purpose under the sale of goods act which is a very powerful tool.
I assume Jaguar have given you an appropriate level of vehicle as a courtesy car which is helpful. Make sure you use it as much as possible.
My year of Jaguar ownership has come with very mixed feelings. I love the car and the way it drives but do not trust my dealership and am about to confront their service manager about some issues and if he is not willing to talk to me then I will escalate it to Jaguar.
For some of us car ownership is a very emotive experience and we do suffer from the highs and lows more than others.
I hope Jaguar sort this out soon so you can find the love again which I am sure you will when all is ok.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015. Every extra available except sunroof I believe.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Communication is definitely a problem. My own limited experience of XE ownership has highlighted the inability of Jaguar support to adequately answer a simple technical question. It has also shown that as the purchaser of a 4 year old car the dealership have me in last place when it comes to customer care. Usually it will take multiple emails before I can elicit a response. When I do get a response it is generally not very positive. The last one regarding a software question reads: "The update can be attempted at the customer cost and risk". The worrying thing about this statement is the word 'attempted'. You would have to say that could be interpreted as not having a bloody clue what they are doing. In fairness to the dealership the problem seems to originate from Jaguar's lack of clarity on which software updates can be applied. Or at least that is how it appears from my standpoint.

Fortunately I have an escape plan. My other Jaguar, also bought second hand, has never seen a Jaguar main dealer in the nine years I have owned it. There is a very good Jaguar independent just 5 miles away and going forward they will also be looking after my XE. So I have come to terms with the fact that Jaguar do not care about me and the feeling is entirely mutual.

Tom Lenthall Ltd if anyone is interested: https://www.tomlenthall.co.uk
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Just a footnote to my previous post...

I will not bore you with why but I have recently had some contact with Emil Frey in Switzerland. For those who don't know of this company Emil Frey was a friend of William Lyons and started a Swiss dealership for what was then Swallow Sidecars. They are one of the oldest Jaguar dealerships in the world.

Well, what a thoroughly nice group of people they seem to be. The difference is that they have a real passion for the cars and are heavily invested in the history of the marque. They even have their own museum. You get the impression that more of the spirit of William Lyons lives on in this company than it does in the present day Jaguar. Perhaps they should open a branch in the UK.

https://www.emilfreyclassics.ch/en/museum/
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm

At last there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

My dealership phoned me this afternoon to say they have been authorised by Jaguar to order a new propshaft to fit to my car, something I suggested they should try in June!

I really hope this does the trick and the fault will be cured as I'm getting really fed with this, as I'm sure you all are hearing about it :D

As a side note, Customer Services still haven't read the last message I sent to them last Wednesday :(

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 pm

I hope that does sort it for you!
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm

I thought my previous post was too good to be true. My dealership phoned me again today and said the propshaft is on back-order and won't be delivered to them until probably October 8th at the earliest!
Ah well, what's another few weeks between friends ;)