Warranty

All Jaguar XE related discussions
maverick2

Warranty

Post by maverick2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:19 am

Hi there guys. hope you are all doing well in these strange times. My rear brake LED is not working in the offside cluster. Will this be covered in the warranty please. Thanks for any help. 2018 2.0D 180 R Sport.

PhilB

Re: Warranty

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 am

The brake lights in the rear clusters are standard bulbs which you can change yourself but it's a pain especially the offside cluster.
So if you are in warranty give your dealer a ring and see if they will deal with it under warranty.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

maverick2

Post by maverick2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:15 am

PhilB wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 am
The brake lights in the rear clusters are standard bulbs which you can change yourself but it's a pain especially the offside cluster.
So if you are in warranty give your dealer a ring and see if they will deal with it under warranty.
Thanks for that PhilB. I understand that I have to remove the rubber from around the boot and from what I know pull the upholstery to get access to the unit., undo 3 bolts behind the unit, then that will free it up. So its only the indicators that are LED then? I popped into halfords last night for the bulb replacement and it was them who said the whole unit has to be replaced because all the lights are LED. thanks for the help.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:28 am

Each unit is held in by a big plastic wingnut type thing.
Access is via the small removable panels on either side of the boot.
All the lights in the rear cluster for a 2018 are plain bulbs including the indicators.
In the manual under "Maintenance" then "changing a bulb" it lists the replacements.
The offside is particularly hard to do as you have to go over the top of part of the fusebox.
Undo the big plastic fastener (don't drop it) and the cluster is released to access the bulb holders.
Quite a few threads on this previously if you do a search.

maverick2

Post by maverick2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 am

PhilB wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:28 am
Each unit is held in by a big plastic wingnut type thing.
Access is via the small removable panels on either side of the boot.
All the lights in the rear cluster for a 2018 are plain bulbs including the indicators.
In the manual under "Maintenance" then "changing a bulb" it lists the replacements.
The offside is particularly hard to do as you have to go over the top of part of the fusebox.
Undo the big plastic fastener (don't drop it) and the cluster is released to access the bulb holders.
Quite a few threads on this previously if you do a search.
PhilB Thank you for all the info you have supplied. Jaguar basically rang and said that if it were the tail lights the job would be covered because they are LED. Unfortunately because the rear stop lights are filament bulbs they are not covered. quote of £145 to fix by Jag. I have been out to the car and had a quick looky and seems to be a little bit of a faff from what I can see, but an hours job for Saturday should sort it.. Thank you ever so much for your help and patience.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Welcome.
Halfords sell the Bosch replacements (W16W) cheaply.
They are the awful push fit jobs so take the opportunity to make sure the rest in the unit are seated properly.
Test they are working before you put the tail light unit back in and faff around skinning knuckles.
Don't ask me how I know that.
:roll: :D

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm

PhilB wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 pm
Welcome.
They are the awful push fit jobs so take the opportunity to make sure the rest in the unit are seated properly.
Test they are working before you put the tail light unit back in and faff around skinning knuckles.
Halfrauds do a very reasonable bulb-fitting service, so if it seems like a tricky job, they can help.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Jeff123 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm
PhilB wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 pm
Welcome.
Halfrauds do a very reasonable bulb-fitting service, so if it seems like a tricky job, they can help.

My offside brake lights went on my previous XE and yes it is a bit of a potch but it's not that bad. I found the best way to get at the nut on the fuse box side was to kneel on a cushion so you are down low and then go in with the left hand until you locate the big wing nut and as Phil said, Do not drop it!! :D :D .
I found on mine the bulbs were ok and it was the bloody awful cheap push in fitting they use which was the problem. Bit of a clean and scrape, pushed the bulb or it may have been 2 bulbs back in. Then the fun bit getting the lamp cluster back in place and the wing nut done up again. The bulbs never failed after that.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,