Stolen :(

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Stolenjag

Stolen :(

Post by Stolenjag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker on the forum, I had hoped my first post would have been under better circumstances. Last night my 2016 XE R-Sport was stolen from outside of my house. I heard my car alarm go for what must have been only about 10 seconds - as I went out to check they were speeding away with my car! I captured the whole incident on CCTV - it seems they come to the drivers door and it looks (and sounds) like they “pop” the lock within 30 seconds, once they are in the car the alarm sounds but is stopped after 10 seconds and a further 10 seconds later the car is started and being driven away.

I have an active in control subscription & that says the car is parked a couple of streets away (it isn’t) so they seem to have somehow bypassed/disabled that too.

How?? Surely it shouldn’t be this easy to steal an expensive modern car? It’s not even keyless entry

RoJo

Re: Stolen :(

Post by RoJo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Jeez, what a way to start on a forum! Commiserations.

Sounds like they got in through the OBD port, which shouldn't be possible of course. Did they get the doors open and was it double locked?
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Sorry to hear this. Trouble is, the criminal scum make a full time job of developing ways to steal people's hard earned money and possessions, so what was secured last year is easy pickings this year. If your car has been targeted, there's very little you can do prevent them taking it. The law is a toothless sham, so there's no motivation for them so desist. Put me in charge of things, I'll sort the scum out properly.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 pm

RoJo wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:01 pm
Jeez, what a way to start on a forum! Commiserations.

Sounds like they got in through the OBD port, which shouldn't be possible of course. Did they get the doors open and was it double locked?
They managed to get just the drivers door open, and yes it was definitely double locked so even more strange.

Here is a link to the footage...if it’s uploaded correctly

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0uD5B4R ... q3lZxoXKLg

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:26 pm

That is disturbingly quick, and shouldn't be possible in a modern "premium" vehicle.

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a Krooklock or similar for my next visit to London.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

Dynamic Dek

Post by Dynamic Dek » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear this. A GPS jammer might have been used to disable the position reporting of "in control".

I also was very surprised at how quick the scum opened the door, disabled the alarm and then started the car.
It is quite astonishing that a modern cars security can be circumvented so quickly.

The scum really do deserve a good thumping.
MY20 XE P250 S R Dynamic, Portofino Blue, Black pack, 19" 1050, Matrix Lights. Mem seats - Touch Pro Duo

m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:43 pm

Bastards.
Bet you're kicking yourself after watching the video that the accomplice was literally on the other side of the road 20 feet away from you!

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:53 pm

m-a-r-k wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:43 pm
Bastards.
Bet you're kicking yourself after watching the video that the accomplice was literally on the other side of the road 20 feet away from you!
Absolutely! I did not see him at all in the moment. Probably lucky though, if I’d seen him & tackled him who knows what he’d have been carrying

fraser

Post by fraser » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm

Where do you keep your car keys ?
What the PODT (Pieces Of Dog Turd) do is they have a little receiver connected to a device that can transmit, and they go looking for a signal from your keys. Once they detect this, they re-transmit it to a device held by a second person who is standing near the car which transmits the key signal to the car that then unlocks the doors and allows the engine to be started.
The only safe way is to keep your keys in a steel box, so the signals from the key ring cannot escape. More modern keyless entry systems now have time-outs, and shut the keys down after an interval without any key movement. Obviously it's more complex than that, but you get the idea.

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm

fraser wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm
Where do you keep your car keys ?
What the PODT (Pieces Of Dog Turd) do is they have a little receiver connected to a device that can transmit, and they go looking for a signal from your keys. Once they detect this, they re-transmit it to a device held by a second person who is standing near the car which transmits the key signal to the car that then unlocks the doors and allows the engine to be started.
The only safe way is to keep your keys in a steel box, so the signals from the key ring cannot escape. More modern keyless entry systems now have time-outs, and shut the keys down after an interval without any key movement. Obviously it's more complex than that, but you get the idea.
The car isn’t keyless entry so I don’t think this is how they got in, I do however actually keep my keys in a faraday box just as a matter of habit along with my son’s as his IS keyless entry.

I think the most likely explanation is maybe some kind of copy of the emergency skeleton key was used to get in the door, and then something plugged into the OBD port to start it - but surely it shouldn’t be THAT easy?? 43 seconds from touching the door handle to driving away