Stolen :(

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BOBCDP

Re: Stolen :(

Post by BOBCDP » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 pm

The problem with all factory installed security systems is that they are standard and once Scroat HQ have worked out how to get round them and they always do, they then pass on the details to all the other scroats. The high tech security system which has cost a furtune then becomes little more than a minor hinderance to the professional thief. Basically if they want it, they will have it. The only way to prevent them pinching your pride and joy is to fit something they are not expecting which will take time to find. If a car wont start they are not going to hang round finding out why. I haven't actually investigated but I'm sure something as simple as just cutting a wire somewhere in the ignition circuit and extending both ends to a hidden switch would do the trick.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:49 pm

As has been said, eventually they will find ways round the tech and it was only recently there were reports that a Range Rover Sport had passed the relay theft method due to new tech making the keys sleep after a while and stop transmitting.
Do we know if this is true?
Of course not and if it is then it might negate the need for faraday pouches but I believe in a belt and braces approach.
Elsewhere, people are talking about OBD locks (fine unless they are using relay method).
I've also heard of an OBD lock that you can set a pin on which is another level of security

I have always supported the use of a Disklok or the other steering wheel lock that has been mentioned in the past.
Yes, you can remove a disklok with an angle grinder and ten minutes to spare but who wants all that noise and carrying around an angle grinder too ?
Main thing is to convince the thief that yours is too much aggro and they will go elsewhere.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 pm

I think theft prevention has now perhaps gone full circle! With all the high tech security by the manufacturer being easily defeated by the thieves, old school methods may well be the way to go! The old knock off switch hidden away, physical deterrents such as wheel locks etc. I think the full steering wheel lock would be enough to put off the opportunist thief backed up by some kind of immobilisation for the more determined thief!
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

Stolenjag

Post by Stolenjag » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Just seen that someone has unfortunately lost their pride & joy in what seem to be similar circumstances over on our sister F-type forum - https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5284

Honestly people if you haven’t already, please take some steps to protect what you have worked so hard to buy.

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:04 pm

I tend to agree with others an old club lock or similar to slow down the high tech thief ( might go grab one today). It is also a visual deterrent that might get them to leave the car alone and move to the next one. OBD locks, switches etc. you still have a smashed window or scratched paint work or worse if it frustrates them some vandalism to the interior.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.