Jaguar XE Forum banner

Major Service difference - £780 quote!

13K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Jeff123 
#1 ·
Hi

I've been quoted £780 from my dealer for a 82k service on our 2016 2.0D (and £799 for the 2 service plan). It's a major service that is due. From looking at the service book online records - it looks like the main 2 differences between a minor/standard service and the major one is the front accessory drive belt renewal and also to renew the engine coolant.

Is there any other difference I'm missing out on?

Whilst I've had a main dealer service up to now (service plans) - I get my GT86 serviced by the local Arnold Clark garage and their service plans are really cheap. For the Jaguar XE I've been quoted £260, which covers the next 2 MOTs and the next 2 services (though both standard/minor ones). I can pay extra to have the next minor service from them upgrade to cover replacing the parts that the Jaguar major service includes - though now trying to bottom out exactly what the major XE service from Jaguar does cover.

Many thanks!

#2 ·
This is the 84,000 mileage service schedule,
: 84000 miles / 96 months service V.I.N
Model: XE / X760
Please note that service intervals always represent the maximum time and distance that should exist between servicing. Driving style and conditions may necessitate earlier servicing as indicated by the notifications on your instrument panel.
SERVICE ITEMS
Check condition of wiper blades.
Check tire pressures, condition, tread depth, signs of uneven wear and suitability (including spare).
Inspect brake pads for wear (disc condition on pad change).
Renew engine oil and filter.
Replace the air cleaner element.
Renew fuel filter element.
Check brake fluid level is between Min and Max. Refer to the workshop manual for more information.
Check/top up coolant level.
Check operation of electric windows and Roof opening panel (if equipped) including 'one-touch' operation.
Using the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic tool, check the DEF level.
Check expiry date of tire repair system fluid (where fitted).
Renew pollen filter.
Visually check under bonnet/underbody for any fluid leaks.
Carry out road test.
Correct operation of drive selector and selector mechanism.
Check operation of park brake.
Check condition and security of seats and seat belts.
Correct operation of steering lock (if fitted).
Correct operation of seat and steering wheel adjust mechanisms.
The starter motor operates without undue noise and the engine starts easily.
Correct operation of fault lamps and instruments.
Check operation of all lamps, horns and warning indicators.
Check operation of Windshield and headlight wipers and washer jets.
Steering self-centres from left and right hand locks.
The vehicle does not pull or wander to one side.
The brakes do not pull to one side but operate smoothly without judder or noise.
Gear changes are smooth.
Cruise control engages and disengages correctly.
Correct operation of climate control system.
For undue vehicle noises.
Reset service indicator.
Reset engine oil level indicator.
Endorse service record.
Report any unusual features of vehicle condition and additional work required.
OPTIONAL SERVICE ITEMS
Drain the DEF tank if the vehicle has covered less than 24,000km in 2 years.*
Top up DEF tank.*
Replace brake fluid.*
If fault lamp(s) are illuminated, interrogate that system using the JLR approved diagnostic equipment and report findings.*
L/F R/F L/R R/R SPARE
Tyre Pressure
Tyre Tread Depth
Tyre Condition

Basically a major service. Drive belts would be checked and usually the customer notified of any extra work, such as changing it pad/disc renewal etc BEFORE carrying out any work. DO get the brake fluid changed (about £60) If the £700+ is just one service, it seems a bit high.

#3 ·
Many thanks! :)

Yes, £780 seemed very high to me for a single service (even a major one).

I think as well that I've got a bit confused, as the next service after that one (105,000 miles) details the items below, which includes the accessory drive belt replacement and I just assumed that was the major one, and the one you listed above was the minor one, but I see looking back at the last service (63k miles), that it only had the oil and pollen filters replaced - so was a minor one. So looks like my next one is the major one (82k miles) but the one after has additional items on top of that too.

Check tire pressures, condition, tread depth, signs of uneven wear and suitability (including spare). Inspect brake pads for wear (disc condition on pad change).
Renew front accessory drive belt.
Drain fuel filter water trap.
Check brake fluid level is between Min and Max. Refer to the workshop manual for more information. Check/top up coolant level.
Check operation of electric windows and Roof opening panel (if equipped) including 'one-touch' operation. Using the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic tool, check the DEF level.
Renew pollen filter.
Carry out road test.
The brakes do not pull to one side but operate smoothly without judder or noise.
Gear changes are smooth.
Reset service indicator.
Endorse service record.
Renew engine coolant.

#27 ·
Main dealer wanted to charge me 3,400 pounds for a service plan on my 2018 rsport petrol 2.o in liverpool covering 6 7 8 9 years worked out about 850 each year ,I looked at what needs doing and basically rubber brake pipes ,transmission service diff service oil filters that's about it ,the transmission and diff was 1500 pounds car is nearly 6 years old only done 21000 miles, I'm going to independent dealer

#5 ·
Maybe it's me that's tight, but £780 for a 5 year old car with 82k on the clock seems steep. I would just take it to either Jag Indy or a good local garage and expect a bill of no more than half of that amount.. When I have traded in cars of that age/mileage in the past the main question they ask is about the fact that it has a full history, not necessarily from a main dealer.

On a separate note, I have been watching quite a few YouTube videos over the lock-downs and a gearbox service is high on some peoples priority list at that mileage.

#6 ·
Many thanks Jeff - I agree, too steep for me - and I'll probably just go down the Arnold Clark service plan route with 2 MOT's build in for £260 - so much cheaper and the local one I use has been great on my GT86. I can pay extra for the main service items.

I also agree, full service history at that age is key rather than the main dealer stamps. Likewise, given the price quoted I had thought it would have involved the gearbox service, but no.

I'll take your advice onboard re the gearbox service and will check which local garages would do that. It's my wife's car, and she does around 25k motorway miles a year commuting to work. I also expect we will keep the car for the next couple years at least.

#9 ·
In defence of AC, I bought my current Xe from them and I couldn't be happier with it. And my wife got a brand new Abarth from them with no issues whatsoever.

#11 ·
Not sure is this proper thread to ask, but what's difference between minor and major service for Jaguar XE diesel engines (specifically 20d 180 PS)?
I'm looking at instruction manual (though MY2017, because MY2016 manual has no data) and all services are pretty much the same (and at the same interval). Which of these are minor, which major?

I'm pretty confused, because all cars that I know have clear distinction between minor and major service...

#15 ·
Fighterpilot said:
This is the 84,000 mileage service schedule,
: 84000 miles / 96 months service V.I.N
Model: XE / X760
Please note that service intervals always represent the maximum time and distance that should exist between servicing. Driving style and conditions may necessitate earlier servicing as indicated by the notifications on your instrument panel.
SERVICE ITEMS
Check tire pressures, condition, tread depth, signs of uneven wear and suitability (including spare).
Inspect brake pads for wear (disc condition on pad change).
Replace the air cleaner element.
Renew fuel filter element.
Check brake fluid level is between Min and Max. Refer to the workshop manual for more information.
Check/top up coolant level.
Check operation of electric windows and Roof opening panel (if equipped) including 'one-touch' operation.
Using the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic tool, check the DEF level.
Renew pollen filter.
Carry out road test.
Gear changes are smooth.
Reset service indicator.
Endorse service record.
OPTIONAL SERVICE ITEMS
Drain the DEF tank if the vehicle has covered less than 24,000km in 2 years.*
Top up DEF tank.*
Replace brake fluid.*
If fault lamp(s) are illuminated, interrogate that system using the JLR approved diagnostic equipment and report findings.*
L/F R/F L/R R/R SPARE
Tyre Pressure
Tyre Tread Depth
Tyre Condition

Basically a major service. Drive belts would be checked and usually the customer notified of any extra work, such as changing it pad/disc renewal etc BEFORE carrying out any work. DO get the brake fluid changed (about £60) If the £700+ is just one service, it seems a bit high.
So, once you've taken out all the "check" items (which the owner can easily do) you're left with: change engine oil & filter, replace air cleaner, replace diesel fuel filter, replace pollen filter. Optional extras are top up DEF tank, replace brake fluid. The only "fiddly" job is replacing the brake fluid. This really doesn't seem to me to justify a charge of £780. I think some dealerships are just trying it on and relying on what they think is their customer's lack of car knowledge.

#17 ·
I've decided to go with the local Arnold Clark service plan after all (the Toyota dealer that does a good job on my GT86) and pay the extra for the fuel filter and pollen filter replacement that isn't part of their standard service (which is £269 which covers 2 services and 2 MOT's).

Good steer re the brake fluid change - I'll look to get that done too.

Thanks for the advice and feedback.

#18 ·
RoJo said:
Put your Vin in the Jaguar OSH webpage and you'll be able to download the specific services required for your Xe.
Fighterpilot said:
Here is the link to OSH. Put in the full VIN and then use the dropdowns to see the service history and future service jobs. Some are optional and are shown as optional. It's items such as Brake fluid, brake hoses etc as the car gets older. Personally I have the brake fluid changed every 2 years irrespective of mileage.
https://osh.jaguar.com/
Thank you very much for the quick responses, guys, really appreciate that.

I know for the OSH site, already checked service schedule for the car that I want to buy, but that still not answers why some of members here at forum calling services "minor" and "major"?!
In other words, I do not see that there is any real "major" service for Jaguar XE and I essentially agree with this what Chris and Jeff said (btw, I'm not saying that, for example, automatic transmission should not be serviced ever, but just pointing to this what I see in service schedule provided by OSH).

Here there is my understanding about these services (please correct me if I'm wrong) - according to the Service Interval Plan (from owner's manual for MY2017) and this what I see at OSH for my VIN, services are scheduled as a A-B-A-B... every X month or every Y miles/km (whichever comes first). Now, I really could not see relation between A/B and minor/major, i.e. even A looks like a "minor" service, B is not really a "major" (at least not per this what I had with my previous cars as a major service, which can include timing belt, water pump and many other stuff).

For Jaguar XE 20d 180 PS (using my VIN as a example) all A-B services are the same with following differences between adjacent services (I will ignore initial Pre-Delivery Inspection service):

• <A> 34000 km, 21000 miles, 24 Months Service:
    - Drain fuel filter water trap.

• <B> 68000 km, 42000 miles, 48 Months Service:
    - Replace the air cleaner element.
    - Renew fuel filter element.

• <A> 102000 km, 63000 miles, 72 Months Service:
    - Replace all flexible brake hoses. <optional>

• <B> 136000 km, 84000 miles, 96 Months Service:
    - Replace the air cleaner element.
    - Renew fuel filter element.

• <A> 170000 km, 105000 miles, 120 Months Service:
    - Renew front accessory drive belt.
    - Renew engine coolant.

Now back to the point - I'm planing to buy car that unfortunately has no documented service history (reasons are other/long story), except first so called A service which is done at around 34000 km. So, official dealer will do inspection for this car and if everything is fine, I will buy it.
But main question here is - if I buy it, should I do anything else except performing all service items from both A and B service lists?
Because, I could not really know is 90000 km at the odometer correct, because there is no real service history that proves that, so I'm wondering are there any "major" service that I should do (mostly as a prevention)?

Sorry for the such long post and please correct me if I misunderstood something.

#19 ·
I think you are correct. 1st service minor, ie first after delivery inspection then alternating maj/min/maj/min etc. Get the dealer to do a full major and record it for the mileage. That way you are fully serviced to date, even if it's only a minor that needs doing. That way you know everything is done.

#20 ·
Thank you very much.
Tomorrow I will visit dealer and try to get exact information about prices here in Serbia.
Btw, when I talked with them by phone (yesterday), they said me that "minor" is around 370 euros and "major" is around 2000 euros - total nonsense. :( This is obviously some misunderstanding and it's not related to these A-B intervals... Will check in person tomorrow.

#22 ·
BF is break fluid, I assume? That's ok price.
I just returned from the dealer, but I didn't get a chance to talk by someone who can give me exact prices (I was little in hurry). Will check next time and write here, just for comparison...

#23 ·
I have a 2015 25t which is due a major service in a few months, but I only have 23,500 miles on the clock. Unsure whether to stick with online service record with main dealer/ independent,or use my local trusted garage who have always serviced my cars, even though they can’t update online?

#26 ·
I am in a similar situation regarding mileage and service intervals. I asked for a service and any necessary repairs to suit the mileage, with a main dealer and so far that was fully acceptable by them. The Major service at the higher mileage is over £800 and not necessary. When you look at the service for 80000 miles it includes a few time consuming proceedures that are not necessary at 22000. It will be late May for my service, so I will see if that still applies then.
I have always kept all receipts to do with any car relating to anything done to it. I think mainly it means absolutely nothing on trade in value of an older car as it goes to an auction house to be sold and is just bunged off to the highest bidder most likely a backstreet rogue or to be razzed about for a couple of years by some 2 celled brained nerd.

#24 · (Edited)
If you want to use your "local trusted garage" then do so.
Provided they are VAT registered and follow the service schedule you can update the OSH yourself by emailing JLR customer service jlrcrcsm@jaguarlandrover.com with the invoice (showing reg,vin number and mileage) and they will update it for you FOC.

#25 ·
The other bonus being that your trusted local garage will probably do a much more thorough job than a main dealer, who will most likely use a trainee who forgets to tighten things up properly or loses nuts and bolts altogether!

Reactions: chrisjp
#28 ·
Main dealers never take into account the mileage for obvious reasons. They just repeat the manufacturer stated service requirements which obviously don’t apply to low mileage cars. It’s a little more hassle to get the service record online from your local garage but easily doable.