Autocar Review 2021 Model

All Jaguar XE related discussions
SteveL

Autocar Review 2021 Model

Post by SteveL » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:25 pm

A71B7022-BF5A-41D9-9589-28CDA96225F1.jpeg

2020 XE P300 AWD R Dynamic HSE, Silicon Silver.
2018 F Pace 3.0S V6, Loire Blue

Jeff123

Re: Autocar Review 2021 Model

Post by Jeff123 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:06 pm

Difficult to disagree with much of that however unpalatable it may be to an owner. IMO, I would have liked the XE to have been a hatchback to give it more practicality. Maybe that’s a way forwards for it?
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:43 pm

What I've always struggled to get my head around is...bearing in mind the "lightweight aluminium architecture", why are Jags significantly heavier than the competition? It harms the performance, economy and emissions.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

Aviator

Post by Aviator » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 pm

The reviewer highlighted the most important changes are the infotainment system and the 5k reduction. I wonder if this is indicative that more exciting changes will be made in 2022 once the world has calmed down or are Jaguar going to run off already? Could be some high specced bargains in the next couple of years.
17 Plate XE Prestige Petrol (2018MY) in Firenze Red

Alanqs

Post by Alanqs » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 pm

As I understand it, the XE is as heavy, or heavier than it's competition even though all but the boot lid and boot floor are made of aluminium. At least part of the reason is the very complex rear suspension which is better than the competition, but heavier. Another is that it's also beefed up (a JLR standard across all models) which allows it to tolerate bad kerbing (or large pot holes), without damaging the suspension (wheel excluded). This also adds weight. I went into a large pothole a year ago, large enough to rip the sidewall of my tyre (just as well I had a spare wheel). It was sufficiently bad that I feared there would be steering or suspension issues (having come from a BMW 4-series, then, I would have expected problems). Nothing, nada, no problems then or since.

You pays your money...
Caldera Red P250 HSE. Clear Sight mirror, powered boot and some other stuff

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 pm

I thought the review was a little unfair. I believe its generally recognised that Jaguar engines take a few thousand miles before they deliver full performance. My last P250 certainly did. I suspect their car was low mileage. I test drove the BMW 3 series before deciding on a new XE and the Jags chassis was much more sophisticated. The double wishbone front suspension (as just fitted to the new Porsche 911 GT3) means the steering and front end grip is leagues ahead of the BMW and the sophistication of the standard damping delivers a more composed ride.

So for me it was a very easy choice. And the price cut was the cherry on the cake!
XE 250 R-Dynamic Black in Eiger Grey with Siena Tan interior, 19" Style 1050 alloys and a few toys
Gone, but not forgotten - XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Alanqs wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 pm
As I understand it, the XE is as heavy, or heavier than it's competition even though all but the boot lid and boot floor are made of aluminium. At least part of the reason is the very complex rear suspension which is better than the competition, but heavier. Another is that it's also beefed up (a JLR standard across all models) which allows it to tolerate bad kerbing (or large pot holes), without damaging the suspension (wheel excluded). This also adds weight. I went into a large pothole a year ago, large enough to rip the sidewall of my tyre (just as well I had a spare wheel). It was sufficiently bad that I feared there would be steering or suspension issues (having come from a BMW 4-series, then, I would have expected problems). Nothing, nada, no problems then or since.

You pays your money...
You're right with this. Jags have the same sign off process as LR so it will withstand a 45mph kerb strike. Also it has double wishbone suspension as standard compared to a McPherson strut like in the germans typically so its heavier for that.

I went to the F Type Fen End event and I asked the pro drivers there what they think about jags and the F Type in particular being quoted heavy in reviews and they said that JLR publish the EU weight (fluids plus 75kg driver) where as most others publish the kerb weight (-75kg driver) so really the difference isn't as great as you're being led to believe, other smaller things like a 5 litre supercharged V8 might play a part too!
MY 17 XE S 340 Yulong White, Pan roof, 18 way seats, heated wheel, power folding mirrors, powered boot, split folding seats

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:44 pm

I've gone to the latest info I can find for the Xe and a direct competitor and came up with a comparison chart.

IMG_20210414_193646.jpg

Who knows, if JLR had managed to find a 100kg weight saving, the car might have sold more. We'll never know unfortunately.

fraser

Post by fraser » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Interesting that the Jaguar has an aluminium body shell which is suppose to save weight !! Essentially the differences are marginal in normal traffic, and really only of interest to the 'wheel-spin to wheel-lock' brigade.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm

I'd suggest that the economy and emissions would have more impact on sales. Having said that, "Honest John Real mpg" gives both cars sitting around 36mpg. How would a German car do so well in the tests? :)