Autocar Review 2021 Model

All Jaguar XE related discussions
XE123

Re: Autocar Review 2021 Model

Post by XE123 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 pm

So both are 2l Petrol.

The 330i claims 43.5mpg according to whatcar website and gets real world rating of 36.6mpg on the Honest John website.
The P250 claims 35.5mpg according to whatcar website and gets real world rating of 36.2mpg on the Honest John website.

So basically, they appear to claim more, but achieve basically the same.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 pm

RoJo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm
How would a German car do so well in the tests? :)

I see what you did there - those emission are a tricky business ;)
XE 250 R-Dynamic Black in Eiger Grey with Siena Tan interior, 19" Style 1050 alloys and a few toys
Gone, but not forgotten - XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 pm

British cars will never sell well in Britain while the motoring press always slag them off, regardless of how good they really are, while at the same time always making out the German cars are somehow superior, even if they're obviously not.

I've owned 2 Audis, both of which were soulless to drive, and 1 BMW 330i straight 6 M-Sport, sounded good but felt heavy compared to the XE's. Also the interior of the beemer was bland and not greatly different to one my dad had 20 years previously, and yet the press always slag off the Jag interior for being dated!

The one area the Germans are better is in the quality of the aftersales service, but I would rather have a better car for 364 days of the year than 1 day a year of better service.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:26 pm

They praise German cars because they’re heavily sponsored by the like of BMW and Volkswagen
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Alanqs

Post by Alanqs » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 am

I had 12 years of BMWs before getting the XE, first a 320D coupe, then a 430i Gran Coupe. I had multiple reasons for changing to the XE. The BMWs, especially the coupe which was on 19" rims had abominable ride, the 4 series was a lot better because I kept it on 18" rims and got the adaptive suspension but I still wanted an improvement. I went for cream/beige leather interior on both BMWs which frankly looked more up market and tasteful than the black Dakota leather but, although very very hard wearing, the dakota leather was a very poor quality and, close up, not great to look at or touch. I wanted that fixed.
The dash top plastic and door tops etc. were not great. Any time I looked at it in either car, I just turned my eyes away, it was so dull and cheap looking. I wanted that fixed. Composure, steering feel, handling, the overall performance of the BMWs was not particularly what I wanted. To be fixed.
BMW penny pinching: the first one had sun visors which were covered in the same material as the headlining, the 2nd one, like every other BMW had plastic covering matching the colour only of the headlining and not remotely the same material. The first one had grab handles for the front seats only, the 2nd one had no grab handles anywhere in the car. And has been said above, the interiors were not that interesting.
To fix things like that and still stay in a BMW would have cost me thousands more on a car whose price was already dearer than the XE which answered all these problems.
Drawbacks: the boot is bigger than the XE's but I will only notice it the day I have to shove large suitcases into it. The 4 series Gran Coupe had the same boot size as the 3 series coupe but the hatch made a huge difference. There was more back room space in both BMWs but I rarely carry back seat passengers and I won't be sitting there anyway. Big deal. Comparing the 430i with the XE particularly, the 430i is faster accelerating and has much better fuel consumption but with the amount of driving nowadays, who will notice. (On the same commute over many months, the 430i returned 38mpg and the XE, barely 30) but with the short journeys I do now, both cars would return mid twenties at best.
I genuinely do not understand the people who say that the BMW interior is of higher quality and praise the fit and finish and tightness of the interior (see all my comments above). I have no complaints about fit and finish in the XE and, after 19 months, like the BMWs, I have no rattles. Just about everyone on the BMW forums considers the Dakota leather to be "cheap" and although some of the new ones use Vernasca (I think) leather instead of Dakota, it's still not as good as the mid-range and best leather offered by Jaguar. ("Merino individual leather, another £3,500 thank you very much Sir")
I still do like the 4 series Gran Coupe but in comparison with the 3 series, the XE is still a better looking car, it's more refined, more tastefully finished, sweeter to drive, isn't as common as muck, and doesn't cost thousands and thousands more. (Mind you, I wish I had a BMW's servicing costs; way less than Jaguar).:)
Rant over.
Caldera Red P250 HSE. Clear Sight mirror, powered boot and some other stuff

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 am

Just to be clear...I have absolutely no complaints about my Xe. It is a fantastic tool to drive in whichever manner I see fit, and the interior is more than good enough. There are enough toys inside to keep me amused and even more outside to keep me safe. My main point was that it suffers (on paper) against the competition and that could be a reason for its lack of popularity.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:05 am

Having seen the front end treatment on the new 4-series and apparently coming to the 3 series, I think the XE has taken several steps up in the looks department.
Comparing the two.
I just wonder who it was who signed this monstrosity off??
:shock:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models/4-series.html
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:35 am

Bugs Bunny? :)
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 am

Mr Magoo, more likely... :D
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:50 am

Indianajons wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:26 pm
They praise German cars because they’re heavily sponsored by the like of BMW and Volkswagen
I agree with this statement. :roll: I've owned a few BMW's over the years and the XE is a better car imho. I think Jaguar are being a bit short-sighted if they drop the XE as it goes up against, and compares very well to others in a popular sector, and now I hear that there is a campaign against SUV's, particularly in the cities. That could be the start of a trend back to saloon cars, and I don't see BMW or Audi dropping the 3 Series or the A4 anytime soon.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics