2015 used buying advice

All Jaguar XE related discussions
hjb92

2015 used buying advice

Post by hjb92 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am

Hi all, first post here. I'm looking at buying a 2015-2016 petrol XE as they are within my budget. Should I be concerned about buying an older model?

What should I look out for?

Should I avoid buying petrol XE's over 50000?

And what are the servicing intervals?

Thanks alot in advance for any answers.

IIRXES

Re: 2015 used buying advice

Post by IIRXES » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am

I would say don't nessarily buy on age, a 2015 car could have 60k on the clock, but I would prefer a 60k FSH car rather than a 30k with no SH.
Servicing is the key with Jags, they require timely and good quality service, using good quality parts and lubricants.
Do the usual checks, for SH, MOT history and make sure everything that works does. Also double check 'what you are getting, a lot of dealers just copy and paste the spec when what you get can be very different.
Make a list of essential toys such as a heated windscreen or panoramic roof and a list of 'i would like' toys like heated steering wheel or adaptive cruise, this will help you potentially narrow it down. Always go and see it where possible, for a few colours photos simply do not do the colour justice.

Good luck with your search, keep us posted.
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

lexie

Post by lexie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:05 pm

The petrol engines in the 2015 and 2016 cars are the Ford based lump and well proven. The 200ps has hidden exhausts whilst the 240ps and XES 340ps have a single pipe on each side (dual exhaust on one side are diesel).

Service intervals are all 12 months, with the 200ps and 240ps being 10,000 miles (the XES V6 is 16,000 miles)

I have a 2015 with 40,000 miles. I can't say what to look for as there's been nothing wrong from day1. The standard radio is a bit tinny though. I'd look for folding rear seats as these were an option and a spare wheel is nice, although you can probably get one from eBay (needs a different floor cover though) . Check the panel alignment and sills for road rash.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

KJW

Post by KJW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Mine has just ticked over 50k miles and still drives like new so I wouldn't be overly worried about mileage as long as servicing hasn't been neglected. GDI petrol engines need the right spec. oil and suffer if change intervals are neglected.

The Meridian sound system is worth getting if you come across one.

Make sure the sat nav system's SD card is present.

Mine has a few annoying interior rattles that need sorting, so have a careful listen for anything you couldn't live with on a test drive.

Folding rear seats were a must for me and a lot of the ex-fleet cars don't have them as they were an expensive option.

Other than that, get out and drive a few! Good luck. They are, bar a few niggles, a fantastic car.

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 pm

I would add go for the the larger screen (touch screen pro) not the smaller screen with the physical buttons on either side. The smaller screen type are no longer getting map updates and the last update was 2019 I think!
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:40 pm

Yeah very nice little engine - the ecoboost 4 potter and the Jag 6. both are very reliable. The 25T (240hp) is quick-ish but a bit surgey in delivery which I think is more a transmission characteristic than turbo lag. The 20T (200hp) isnt as quick, but I thought more linear.

I dont think that the larger screen (no hard buttons on either side) was available in 2015, but I might be wrong about that. The larger one looks better, but to be honest I think the smaller one was easier to use, and I still have that one in my daily. The map issue that Nuttyspark identified might be relevant, though.

Jag reliability is pretty good, in fact my experience has been stellar. I had my XKR to 5 years old and about 70,000km from memory, virtually no issues, and my F Type has ticked over 5 years and 40,000km, and also has had virtually no issues. There were a few "conquests" on the early XE's (marketing speak for passive recalls I think) involving the takata airbags and infotainment issues, probably make sure all of those have been dealt with.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 am

I put 100K on mine before I traded it and it didn't miss a beat. Serviced on time by a Jaguar Service centre and the guy there actually said he found the ones that ran a bit more and weren't just used for short trips tended to run better and needed less done at service. Having said that I would still buy as low as I could for resale value, but as others have said make sure it has full SH and also would trust a Jaguar approved vehicle more myself due to the check they do.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:18 am

Hammers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 am
make sure it has full SH and also would trust a Jaguar approved vehicle more myself due to the check they do.
Checks they are supposed to do...,
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

lexie

Post by lexie » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:58 am

BruceTheQuail wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:40 pm
The 25T (240hp) is quick-ish but a bit surgey in delivery which I think is more a transmission characteristic than turbo lag. The 20T (200hp) isnt as quick, but I thought more linear.
I've had a 240ps courtesy car a couple of times when mine went in for services. It was really hard to tell any difference between it and my 200ps to be honest in normal driving.

After a fair bit of miles, all I could come up with was the 240ps may have had a slight of extra torque and didn't change down so readily as a result, but it was hardly noticeable if at all. That said there probably is little difference in the price second hand, economy is the same and the 240ps has visible exhausts. As the saying goes, if you're going to have one, have a big one 😁
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am

Don't cast off the diesel versions as the 180 gives out 111gm of CO2. You may get a better younger car than a petrol since diesel became as popular as the Devil's back passage. Road tax is £35 and mpg is higher into the late 60's or more depending on how it's driven. Buy from a dealer if you can rather than a trader. I am not saying traders sell bum cars but sometimes they get lemons from auctions and may have lesser knowledge of the cars that they sell. That is your choice.
R Sport 180D 2015