JLR to temporarily suspend production due to chip shortage

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Cabby

JLR to temporarily suspend production due to chip shortage

Post by Cabby » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:43 am

The press are reporting that JLR is temporarily suspending production at its Castle Bromwich and Halewood plants because of the global semiconductor shortage. This isn't just a Jaguar problem, but it seems that producers of computer chips can't keep up with demand following disruptions in the supply chain.

I hope those with cars on order are able to get their new cars soon!
XE 250 R-Dynamic Black in Eiger Grey with Siena Tan interior, 19" Style 1050 alloys and a few toys
Gone, but not forgotten - XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan

BOBCDP

Re: JLR to temporarily suspend production due to chip shortage

Post by BOBCDP » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Same situation with computer graphics cards. You cannot get them for love nor money. Any that do appear for sale online are sold within minutes and the prices have risen dramatically.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:22 pm

The problem is the car makers predicted a fall in sales at the start of the pandemic and duly cancelled a lot of chip orders, only then to find out people still needed to get about and even less of them wanted to use public transport, so sales didn't drop as much as they thought they would.

The chip fabs by then had received increased orders for other things (furloughed staff upgrading their PCs or buying new consoles, and schools and companies buying laptops for their new homeworkers) and now don't have capacity to honour renewed orders from the auto industry. It's a bizarre situation.

BLZeebub

Post by BLZeebub » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:12 pm

83 ECU's in a Defender probably doesn't help!

B-)
MY17 All Black R-Sport 180D AWD with some gadgets. B-)

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:51 pm

Phil wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:22 pm
The problem is the car makers predicted a fall in sales at the start of the pandemic and duly cancelled a lot of chip orders, only then to find out people still needed to get about and even less of them wanted to use public transport, so sales didn't drop as much as they thought they would.

The chip fabs by then had received increased orders for other things (furloughed staff upgrading their PCs or buying new consoles, and schools and companies buying laptops for their new homeworkers) and now don't have capacity to honour renewed orders from the auto industry. It's a bizarre situation.
Read about that too, and in Australia used car prices have risen dramatically as there are the production issues but then the transport issues of getting any new cars here.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Exocet

Post by Exocet » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 pm

I ordered mine in February of last year, I hope it arrives soon...

In fairness, after Jaguar cancelled my first order I did wait to see what the next MY changes were going to be before committing to ordering for a second time.

Now there's another factory closure, it feels a little like déjà vu.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:58 pm

PSA are looking at returning to putting analogue dashboards in some of their lower price cars, that tells you this is not a short term issue
Jaguar XE R-Dynamic S 180 Portofino blue with white interior replaced Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:16 pm

Will my 1975 Triumph TR6 be affected by the chip shortage? We have already had to cope with a lack of lead in petrol :o
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport; 2004 XKR convertible; 1975 Triumph TR6

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:08 pm

The chip production issue is a combination of factors. In addition to what has already been mentioned: Graphics card demand is generally up, I wonder how much of that is due to bitcoin prices? Still, I think Biden may have helped there with his recently announced plans for CG taxes.

Another factor may have been the fire that destroyed the AKM plant. They are best known for Pro audio chips, but possible that they make other stuff.
S 380, ICT Pro, Virtual Dash, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sun May 09, 2021 8:37 am

Kaikoura wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:16 pm
Will my 1975 Triumph TR6 be affected by the chip shortage? We have already had to cope with a lack of lead in petrol :o
:lol:
Curr: MY20 E-Pace P200 Chequered Flag, Photon red
Prev: MY18 XE P250 Portfolio RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, folding mirrors
Prev: MY17 XE D180 Prestige Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, pano roof, folding mirrors