The place to discuss everything else..
Nuttyspark

Re: Green pond

Post by Nuttyspark » Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 am

devonia wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 am
Nuttyspark wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:23 pm
Thanks Devonia, I didn't know about the pond weed. I have just put a new UV lamp in my filter. My pond is about 3000 litres. Think about 20 fish in it, mostly about 2 to 3 inches long! I have 3 floating planters in the pond but no Lillies! What make of pressurised filter did you use? I'm looking at one that automatically squashes the foams during the back flush! Like you say the pressurised filter is easier to hide which will be a big plus for me! 😁
I have 2 filters, one hozelock and one cheapie off ebay. can't say there is any real difference in performance between them. I used to have just the hozelock, but the quantity of fish I now have (about 30 inc 2 koi, and indeterminate no of baby ones) demands more filtration. Not got the one that squashes, and to be fair if I was to use mains water to backflush rather than the pond water, that would probably help. Squeezing will make a lot of difference, as that is what removes most of the algae. If you feel the weight of the filter foam before cleaning and after the difference is quite dramatic.
Lilies hate moving water so I avoid them, as I have a water feature in the pond.They do, however cover the pond surface, and help to reduce algae that way.
This is the best pond weed I have used:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUNCHES-WATE ... 77zLu9ysrA

Followed closely by this (I have a mixture):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bunch-of-Hor ... XQKLdR1Ujg

The second one grows very fast (great for when the koi go on an eating spree of the weed).
You do not need too much of these as they grow very fast (As I said, a post on a local facebook page may get bucket loads!).
Pond weed also competes with the blanket weed for nutrients.
Also the blanket weed when it does come seems to lay on top of the pond weed and seems to be easier to remove.

I have tried viresco as well. Worked for a while (the microbes again compete with the algae for the food. But they then become victims of their own success and die out because they have eaten all the food). Best one is still biological and uv filter.

Use a larger pump for 2 reasons.
First that I have a 1m high Water feature in the middle and need the pressure to pump up that height.
Second that pumps degrade over time, and I still have sufficient pressure after five years to do what I want it to do.
Hi Devonia

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying. I have ordered my Fish Mate Powerclenz filter but still awaiting delivery. It gets pretty good reviews so here's hoping. See this youtube vid for a demo.

I have checked the pump I have and it's a 4000 LPH pump. I will run it without the fountain so that all the water goes through the filter.
I have been looking at pumps in the range of 6000 - 7000 LPH but again lots of choice, even variable speed ones. I like the fountain feature so looking at a pump with that option.
I do have a waterfall but that is only on a small pump and can be switched on and off individually. This is the best option I think as after a while there is a build up of algae along the path of the water. Unfortunately the waterfall is too small to be fed from the return of my new filter direct. I would have to split the return and have some going to the waterfall and the rest going direct to the pond. I think a lot of messing around for something not as flexible as the arrangement I have now.

Oh by the way I am not on Facebook so cannot take up your suggestion. I think my daughter is so may well ask her. ;)
What pumps do you use? The max I can use with this filter is 5000 LPH. Quoted flow rate is always quoted as direct out of the pump. There are losses with head height from the pump, hose size and length of hose. It's all giving me a headache now! :lol: :lol:
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

devonia

Post by devonia » Fri May 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Would quite frankly ignore any factors like pipe size for flow rates. I just went for 25mm reducing to 2 x20 ( I do have a split system controlled by 2 valves ). Unless of course you want to include number and type of bends, and friction coefficients of the pipe type in your thoughts :lol: ( as a note it's normally head height from water surface). Any fountain pump should give your the water flow required for the fountain . Just deduct that from the total flow to see what will be running through filter.
As the filter is pressurised you can feed this direct into a separate fountain through the filter if you want. This tends to allows for a bigger fountain / feature
200ps petrol prestige - glacier white - oyster - sunroof - powerfold mirrors - reversing pack- split rear seats - spare wheel
Mercedes SLC 200 sport

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Tue May 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks Devonia.
Latest update. I have received a new pump today. A Blagdon amphibious IQ variable speed pump. It has a flow rate of 4900 LPH. My filter is only about 1 ft from the surface of the pond so I think this pump is perfectly adequate. I've used my existing 25mm hose but I will upgrade to 32mm when I can get out and about! I am hoping to see some improvement in the pond water clarity within the next couple of weeks. I have took some pictures of the pond now and if it improves as expected I will take some more pics and post them on here.
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 pm

Apropos of very little on this thread, for those of you with no room for a "real" pond you can go "pond lite" in a small backyard. I have 5 X 350 litre pots in my yard which have their own little ecosystems in them.

Essentially they are standard fibrecrete pots (good for the job as they are lightweight) which I plugged up then sealed with crommelin pond sealer. you have to use black sealer otherwise the pond water will go green with algae. Leave it for a week or so then fill with water (I use tank). I then put waterlilies in pots in them and quite a bit of elodea for oxygenation. Priming the water up with Seachem Stability would be good if you are impatient and want to also put fish in early, but if you are patient leave it a month to let the nitrogen cycle get established.

I have mainly guppies and swordtails in mine (started with 12, after a year I have about 400) which dont need filters or oxygen pumps though they are warm water fish and probably no good for the UK. I will run solar powered bubblers and floating fountains when the water gets over 25 degrees as it loses its oxygen and you can have deaths from it especially when it gets over 30 degrees celsius.

I have some ryukin goldfish in one which are cold water fish, they are very pretty to look at (so are the guppies but they are harder to see). The goldfish need oxygen pumped in otherwise they will suffocate. I use a solar powered one, very cheap and effective.

It is a spectacularly interesting little hobby, the waterlilies are very pretty when they flower in summer and the fish are engaging. Being a small ecosystem you have to keep an eye on the chemical balance, I check ph weekly which does tend to get high easily and can result in the odd death. Mine are pretty much crystal clear and very easy to maintain once you get over the urge to interfere and overfeed the fish.

So if you have been following this thread envying those with ponds, have a go at making your own in a pot.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 am

Not jealous of those with ponds...

Just jealous of those whose outdoor ponds are warm enough all year round for guppies! :lol:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Wed May 20, 2020 8:03 am

I might have to knit them some scarves as we have a cold snap coming where it might get down as low as 15 celsius during the day!
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed May 20, 2020 8:28 am

You are not helping, you know... :P

It is supposed to get up to 26 celsius here today - we're in an unseasonably warm hot spell in the run up to our summer.

Normally we'd be expecting high teens at this time of year :o
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol: