billvega

Re: Coming to London on vacation ....

Post by billvega » Fri May 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Thorn wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:31 pm
billvega wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm
What Thorn said, I did type out a rant but deleted it lol
Get out of London. Head up the M11 to Saffron Walden, one of the prettiest towns in the country, and my birthplace. Visit Audley End Mansion. Then head to Cambridge. On to Ely, down through Suffolk to Southwold. Back into Essex, visiting the Constable country. Return to the hell hole that is London.
A night in Walden, a night in Cambridge, a night in Ely, a night in Southwold, and one somewhere on the Essex coast. Maldon, perhaps, or even Southend, for a complete contrast. Five nights, and you’ll have a far better time than staying in London. Just avoid the A12 at all costs. Right, Bill?
Sadly, since Ridley’s brewery closed, I can’t recommend any Essex beer.
Ha! Might do that myself. Stuff sarfend though,,it's like East Ham these days!
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Sat May 12, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks fellas for all the great input. I can drive to NY ... it's like a weekend trip. My wife and I have begun exploring the EU pretty exclusively ... we have seen much of the USA. I'd be happy to advise on most anything here ;) . I know where most of the Jaguar dealerships are :p .

Felton Butler

Post by Felton Butler » Sat May 12, 2018 6:46 am

Hi "Late for Tea" and welcome to England. As others have pointed out, try and get out of London - it's not a true reflection of England (or the UK). However, don't rely on trains - they can be horrendously expensive if you buy a ticket on the day (although can be very cheap if you book early enough). Hire a car and traffic isn't too bad once you're away from the M25 motorway.
Having said all that, we had a great tour of London last time we were there on Fat Tires bike tour (www.fattiretours.com/london/tours/royal ... -bike-tour) and if you do it on a Sunday the "Mall" is closed to traffic so 90% of the route is traffic free.
(PS - the beer in the North is much better than down south...)

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat May 12, 2018 10:08 am

Thorn wrote:
billvega wrote:

Adnams beer, brewed in Southwold is highly recommended :D
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sat May 12, 2018 10:19 am

147daytona wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:08 am
Thorn wrote:
billvega wrote:

Adnams beer, brewed in Southwold is highly recommended :D
I agree, but it’s Suffolk beer, and doesn’t get very far down the A12.
My first hangover, when I was but a youth, followed an evening of Adnams

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Sat May 12, 2018 8:28 pm

If you want to get out of London, you could take a trip to Oxford. You can catch a bus from Victoria or the Marble Arch end of Park Lane (the Park side of the road). The bus will take you through West London and eventually out on the M40 where you will see some English countryside. The buses are either the X90 or the "Oxford Tube" Bus. They both run about every 15-20 minutes and take about 1hr 45mins to get there, for £19 return. A very civilised way of travelling and a lovely University City to visit.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

RobertDriessen

Post by RobertDriessen » Sun May 13, 2018 11:40 am

Perhaps a visit to Old Bailey and the Inns of Court (still on my wish list)
MY16 Jaguar XE 2.0t Prestige Firenze Red
1985 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV 2.0 - 762 Grigio Chiaro met.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sun May 13, 2018 1:13 pm

RobertDriessen wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:40 am
Perhaps a visit to Old Bailey and the Inns of Court (still on my wish list)
Ah, a fellow lawyer, I suspect.
It’s certainly worth going round the Inns of Court, though to get the most of it you’ll need a guide. If you haven’t got a contact there check out London Walks. I believe they do a guided tour.
The one thing that jars when walking round the Inns is seeing computer screens shining through the windows of the old buildings.

Philtrum

Post by Philtrum » Sun May 13, 2018 4:16 pm

If you want to visit an eccentric, but fascinating museum I’d recommend: https://www.soane.org
In Lincoln’s Inn Field there is also,the museum of the Royal College of Surgeons which has free entry - slightly macabre though.
If you fancy an easy walk, learning some history on the way, these are good: http://www.walks.com
There are plenty of old pubs in London a popular one on Fleet Street is Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. Or if you fancy a Northern Bitter complete with head look for a pub serving Sam Smith’s beer.
A trip to the top of the Shard gives panoramic views over London and there is a cocktail bar half way up, but I think you may need tickets in advance.
Just outside London in Surrey there is Brooklands Museum (old cars and aeroplanes) https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com
XES 3.0L V6. Glacier White. Panoramic sun roof.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am

If your wife wants an afternoon of Shopping therapy and you don't, may I suggest the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden, you won't see an XE but you will see the history of the Overground and Underground transport over the last 200 years and how it has evolved
https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/about-us
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”