JLR Solihull end of October 2 week shutdown.

The place to discuss everything else..
bob_mcn

JLR Solihull end of October 2 week shutdown.

Post by bob_mcn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Looks like sales are down big style, :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45785229
Bob Mc.
Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, and a selection of addons.
ordered 04/09/2018: XE 300 Sport, Caldera Red, and a selection of addons

bob_mcn

Re: JLR Solihull end of October 2 week shutdown.

Post by bob_mcn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 pm

And Auto eXpress reporting article...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/10 ... -two-weeks

And Autocar...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... ales-slide

Not a word mentioned about the Extortionate road tax hitting hard, to me this is the reason sales have dropped, not all the political mumbo jumbo (i am not discussing politics, just pointing out the news feature) , other manufactures haven't been hit this hard as they dont have a lot of diesels or break the £40k barrier.

Nice of them to acknowledge that JLR make some of the cleanest engines in the world.
Bob Mc.
Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, and a selection of addons.
ordered 04/09/2018: XE 300 Sport, Caldera Red, and a selection of addons

Fozzie1960

Post by Fozzie1960 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm

JLR are not the only manufacturer suffering from poor sales,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45743771
Portfolio 180 Auto / Italian Racing Red / Jet Leather Seats / Parking Pack with Camera / Memory Pack with Powerfold Mirrors / Heated Front Screen / Split Rear Seats.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 pm

bob_mcn wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 pm
Not a word mentioned about the Extortionate road tax hitting hard, to me this is the reason sales have dropped....., other manufactures haven't been hit this hard as they dont have a lot of diesels or break the £40k barrier.
It's worth noting that JLR sales were down a modest 0.8% in the UK.

martind511

Post by martind511 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Despite this, Jaguar reports good recent sales due to the current offers (to which i partook) - https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa ... d-xf-sales
MY 2019 Jaguar XE Landmark 25T - Santorini Black, Sunroof, 10 way electric seats, folding mirrors and split fold seats.
MY 2018 Jaguar XF Portfolio 20D Auto - Narvik Black, Tan interior, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel (company car)

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:56 am

bob_mcn wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Not a word mentioned about the Extortionate road tax hitting hard, to me this is the reason sales have dropped, not all the political mumbo jumbo (i am not discussing politics, just pointing out the news feature) , other manufactures haven't been hit this hard as they dont have a lot of diesels or break the £40k barrier.
Agree about the road tax, it's not mentioned at all in the press but a significant chunk of cash added to the running of a car!
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

BLZeebub

Post by BLZeebub » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 am

The £40K tax must be having an effect. It factored into my buying decision as i would have gone for a 240 diesel but there were none that fell below the limit when i looked.

As mine was an ex-Jag car i wonder if that is affecting their used sales as a lot of them seem to be well specced and in the upper bracket. I did a quick ballpark on the one i ended up buying and hit £44K without all the options but as mine was originally registered in March 2017 it wasn't affected.
MY17 All Black R-Sport 180D AWD with some gadgets. B-)

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am

BLZeebub wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 am
As mine was an ex-Jag car i wonder if that is affecting their used sales as a lot of them seem to be well specified and in the upper bracket.
Most late reg Jaguar used cars are Ex Jag cars. Many of these Ex Jag cars, are Jaguar staff cars,who have specified the car to high standard. As they only drive them for 6-12 months, at a heavily discounted price or rental rate and pay one road tax if not a company driver. When Jaguar send them to auction for dealers to buy, they'll be lots of Portfolio's, R-Sport's highly specified and S trim's, but very few Prestige and never an SE (currently there's more 'S's for sale then SE's on the official used site). The dealers then can only source late model cars of the lower trims (SE, Prestige) from the private or rental sector. Private owners tend to hold on to vehicles for at least a year, normally 3. Then the fleet rentals may be high mileage and abused and therefore not good enough quality to go through JLR's dealer network but you'll find them in the Car Supermarkets. Just look at the breakdown of variants on the Official used vehicle locator to see the numbers are biased towards the 40k+ cars and thus the used market is also affected for any late used vehicle, even if the sticker price is enticing, the original on the road price is the Tax killer!
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

keith100

Post by keith100 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:08 am

QUOTE “Rawdon Glover, appointed UK managing director five months ago, recognised that the companies SUVs were dominating parts of the market but that sales of the XE and XF were “poor and declining”.

His next challenge is to transfer this excitement to the fleet sector. “We will dissect and understand the best parts to go after and then we will go in with a clear proposition,” he said.
“This year is price-related. For 20 model year, we will have specifications that people can see and feel, such as interior trim, size of the wheels, sporty body shape and a new front end. We will go back to why people buy a Jaguar: great looks and it drives well.”UNQUOTE

Hmmm.
I guess he said, indirectly, that the XE is crap! Did he really mean that?t.

Sales are pretty dire not just in UK, but also in NA with a 55% decline, from 2017 (and that has nothing to do wiih diesels or Brexit). I don't know why, the XE looks good and the V-6 goes like stink, but it just hasn't caught on in the market. Partly perhaps because it's so long since Jag had classy sport sedans that the brand has lost its cachet amongst younger people.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the sales of the much-maligned X type. In its best year in the States, it sold 33,000 + units Best for the XE was 10,000 in 2017 and based on the first 9 months of 3,600 likely only 4,500 this year.

Hope my dealer stays in business at least until the warranty ends.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”