What age is attracted to the XE

The place to discuss everything else..
ant_in_wales

Re: What age is attracted to the XE

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 pm

49.96 (Jan this year)
My ladywife saw a very smart Racing Green X-Type in the car park, and I couldn't believe you could get a good one, low mileage, for about £6000.
I was looking as I've just stopped getting a company car, and this would be the first car I could choose myself for 20 years.
But after doing the research, I was also suprised how much smarter the XE was than a 3-series - ladywife burst out laughing when we sat in an M Sport saying "Wow, this suffers in comparison")
And now I'm delighted - even more so after the AndrewNigel fix ....
2015 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 pm

55 here! I sold the project car as although it was a serious entertainer and a proper workout to drive, the missus wouldn't get in it, so it got very little use.

I needed something quiet and comfortable, but able to entertain and keep up with the traffic as well. A few cars came under consideration, but having hired an early XES for a couple of weeks in 2016, I knew it was probably going to be my choice. Test driving a few alternatives confirmed this!

I wouldn't say I'm drawn to Jaguar in general, I'm quite brand averse really. I tend to like particular cars regardless of brand. Looks wise, I've liked theF type, XF and XE as long as they have been around. The SUVs make a bit of puke burp up for me. The last Jag to really appeal aesthetically was the XJ Series 2 and if I won the lottery, I'd "restomod" one.

For now though, the XE is the right car and I would have loved it at any age.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 am

59. I bought the car from my Fireservice pension lump sum when I retired last August.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 am
59. I bought the car from my Fireservice pension lump sum when I retired last August.
It's alright for some. I work in the private sector as a precision machinist with no chance of retiring before I'm 67, and even then I'll be lucky to get enough pension to give me any luxuries.
Sometimes wish I had just become a bin man in the public sector instead of doing a 5 year apprenticeship, I could have retired by now with a fat pension :evil:
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm

It isn't really as simple as that. The pension I paid for my entire career was quite an expensive scheme. I was paying over 14% of my wage when I retired.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm

I started work in 1977 and was immediately enrolled in the company pension scheme. I worked there for 28 happy years only for the company to be sold to an American corporation and slowly the work was creamed off with no investment put in.
In 2006 the Americans closed our company down and the pension pot had all mysteriously disappeared!
Now working for a small family business and putting as much as I can into a pension but it's never going to amount to much with only 8 years to my official retirement.
You don't get these issues in the public sector!
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm

147daytona wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm
I started work in 1977 and was immediately enrolled in the company pension scheme. I worked there for 28 happy years....
...in 2006 the Americans closed our company down and the pension pot had all mysteriously disappeared!
Hold on. Are you saying you were a member of a 'contributory' defined benefit (final salary) pension scheme for 28 years and if has all disappeared ?

Surely, since the Robert Maxwell pension fund stealing malarkey many years ago, there are now serious regulatory protections in place to stop such behaviour ?

In answer to the age question, I bought at age 53. But would happily have bought one at age 33 had they existed then. But only the 3 litre V6 version - for me it is always about the engine. If I was going to buy a cooking 2 litre I'd buy a Mondeo or something like that.
2016 XE-S 340

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:00 pm

bob_mcn wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 pm
59.5 when i bought mine, now toying with getting a 300 AWD R-Sport by the time i'm 61.5.
Wanted a Jaguar for years, and took the plunge on retirement. 8-)
:D All went to plan, except i went for a 300 Sport not the R-Sport, AND, Whats up with a 'cooking' 2 litre, its a Jaguar and 300 ponies, and i love it, compared to the Ford engines its a cracker. I would of liked the V6, but alas they stopped making it available in the UK, and no used models had the spec i wanted.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Apologies if my reference to "cooking" 2 litre came across badly. I just have a thing for 5+ cylinders - always have.

While I admire the bhp manufacturers are getting from turbo 4 pots I just don't think they are for me but in fairness I haven't tried one in ernest. Given that the 300 Sport and the 340 XES would perform similarly, and it wouldn't be about pace as such, it would be interesting to drive them back to back.
2016 XE-S 340

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm

147daytona wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:25 pm
Mikeyjd wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 am
It's alright for some. I work in the private sector as a precision machinist with no chance of retiring before I'm 67, and even then I'll be lucky to get enough pension to give me any luxuries.
Sometimes wish I had just become a bin man in the public sector instead of doing a 5 year apprenticeship, I could have retired by now with a fat pension :evil:
Never mind, life is a little unfair sometimes. Look on the positive side, you've got a Jaguar XE, which most people don't have, so what more could you possibly want? OK except for a healthy bank account, a big house on a landed estate, a yacht on the French Riviera, a private jet, holiday homes in a foreign countries, loads of foreign holidays and so on. I wish or do I. :) :) :)
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”