Common spelling fails.

The place to discuss everything else..
PhilB

Re: Common spelling fails.

Post by PhilB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm

147daytona wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:46 pm
Should the subject title of this topic, https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8307, not be in this one? :lol: :lol:
Not since I just fixed the main title................... :D
Plus, that was just a smelling mistake rather than using the wrong word or bad grammar.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Hmmm, I smell a conspiracy here :lol:
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:02 pm

It sounds like quite a lot of this thread is about developments in the English language that people find annoying, and grammar mistakes, rather than true spelling mistakes.

Brake/Break, as mentioned a couple of times, is an error that annoys me in a motoring context. At work, I have to check a lot of letters written by colleagues and I despair sometimes at the quality of people's written English.

That said, I am surprised to see such dislike of "so" as a sentence opener. It has its uses, for example as a less formal-sounding substitute for "therefore". I would never have thought to do this after leaving full-time education, but my company's house style manual encourages it (as well as beginning sentences with "but" and "and"), and I've adopted it over time. I now think of it as a stylistic choice rather than something to be avoided, although I can't say the same for split infinitives.

If anyone is interested, there's an article discussing the subject here: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-starting-a-sentence-with-so-condescending

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am

Any prizes for spelling prise correctly?
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”