Any Formula 1 fans here?

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Re: Any Formula 1 fans here?

Post by BevC » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:58 pm

After watching “Star in a reasonably priced car” on the Clarkson-era Top Gear when it was pouring with rain it leaves little doubt as to Lewis’s control of a really ordinary car (it was a Kia Cee’d). He could borrow my Jag any day - as long as I can be a passenger.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:26 pm

PhilB wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:42 am
Interesting article on the BBC website.
James Allison who is the Technical Director goes into depth about how Lewis manages the car and what sets him above other drivers.
He has worked for other top teams including Ferrari so I think he can speak with a gret deal of experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50284993
James is undoubtedly one of the best engineers I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with and has a huge amount of experience.
He tends to say it as he sees it, so there’s no need to take that article with a pinch of salt :)
Xe S 340 in Dark Sapphire with black pack and 19” Venoms
Black interior, Meridian sound system and head-up display

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 pm

With any motorsport, to become a world champion you have to be a great driver and have a good car/bike and team behind you and also not have any bad luck throughout the season.
A great driver won't win with poor machinery and a poor driver won't win with the best machinery.

Rosberg became world champion in the best car solely because of Hamilton's reliability problems and knew he wouldn't beat him again so quit while he was ahead.

You may be fortunate enough to win one championship while not being the best driver but if you can win multiple championships, you truly are the best.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

bugsrunner

Post by bugsrunner » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Button was a poor driver but won.
Damon Hill as well....

I do not think Hamilton is a poor driver but he's not the best and won so .any championships just because he had the best car for years

spritely

Post by spritely » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm

bugsrunner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Button was a poor driver but won.
Damon Hill as well....

I do not think Hamilton is a poor driver but he's not the best and won so .any championships just because he had the best car for years
I agree with your first two points, but I can't agree with your points about Hamilton - I personally think Hamiltons ability as a driver is definitely the best out there at the moment. In my humble oppinion I think Hamilton would be capable of winning with any half decent car/team - not just the best car. This season the Ferari is definitely the quicker car of the two, but mistakes by the team/drivers have cost them nmany wins that they should have had - but that does not reflect on Hamiltons superb skills in an F1 car. I also believe that Hamilton may well be regarded as the best ever by the time he retires - he may well beat Scumachers records in total by then.

Mark
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 am

spritely wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm
This season the Ferari is definitely the quicker car of the two, but mistakes by the team/drivers have cost them nmany wins that they should have had

Mark
We can’t be looking at the same cars. The Ferrari has had some issues this season, it comes alive under certain track conditions where the tyres get to operating temperatures, but they’ve been struggling to maintain temps or in some cases get to temperature most of the season.

spritely

Post by spritely » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Prof Pat Pending wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 am
spritely wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm
This season the Ferari is definitely the quicker car of the two, but mistakes by the team/drivers have cost them nmany wins that they should have had

Mark
We can’t be looking at the same cars. The Ferrari has had some issues this season, it comes alive under certain track conditions where the tyres get to operating temperatures, but they’ve been struggling to maintain temps or in some cases get to temperature most of the season.
I appreciate your points, but I was solely referring to the fact that Ferari have the quickest car on the grid - reliability, and tyres are a separate issue as all teams have problems with tyres to some degree.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:36 pm

And I was referring to, as a package the Ferrari hasn’t been able to make its tyres work consistently for at least half of the season. It wasn’t really until after our summer break that they brought all the upgrades required to sort that issue :)
A fast one lap car isn’t always a race winner ;)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 pm

I thought it was quite noticeable how Ferrari seemed to have lost their recent extra pace quite suddenly at the last GP in Austin.
I'm sure it wasn't anything to do with them getting a warning at the start of the weekend about the fuel flow metering device though............... ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50284855
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Of course it wouldn’t have been anything to do with that.
Quite telling that it was only a warning, FIA to the rescue again :o

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”