The Grand Tour

The place to discuss everything else..
147daytona

Re: The Grand Tour

Post by 147daytona » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm

BevC, I have owned a couple of Mondeos in the past, a 1.8 petrol and the 2.5 V6 ST24, the ST was a brilliant car in its day, but I think the rise of SUVs for families has had a hard impact on the Mondeos desirability.

Don't feel too sorry for Ford though, the Fiesta and Focus are still selling well and they also have their own range of SUVs to take up the slack.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Domfow

Re: The Grand Tour

Post by Domfow » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 am

BevC wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:44 am
The last programme of the series was somewhat emotional. Apparently Ford will be stopping the Mondeo and it won’t be replaced - the end of the line. We were taken back through Cortinas (or Dagenham Dustbins as they were always known), through the Sierra (jelly moulds), including the game changing Cosworth and then on to the current model, including the ST. The sales figures for Mondeo are non-existent and it is understandable why it will be killed off, but it really is quite sad. I remember the Lotus Cortina, the 80s were defined by the Cosworth and a certain political party rode to power on a landslide due to the appeal to “Mondeo Man”. How did it go so wrong for them? Well worth a watch.
The current generation of Mondeo was designed in Detroit as a global car and sold in America as the Ford Fusion. It was launched in 2012 but because of plant closures and restructuring it didn't launch in Europe until late 2014 as the Mondeo, when the SUV had already started to take huge chunks out of the saloon market. Now Ford is pulling it's saloons from the market in America and the 2019 Fusion is the run out year . Given the car was designed in America and is now 7 years old, it was only time before the European Mondeo suffered the same fate given sales are very low. The Ford Taurus is now the only large saloon with the blue Oval badge in America, the Mustang is the only other car of that size, the Fiesta and Focus survive for now but Ford see no money for them in the US, in Europe Ford will push on with the Fiesta and Focus and the various global sourced SUV's also the vans and Ranger pickup
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”