Need an outdoor camera

The place to discuss everything else..
xep

Need an outdoor camera

Post by xep » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:42 pm

With two new (to us) cars in our household, I'd like to put up a camera at the front of the house to keep an eye on them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera that can perch in an upstairs window overlooking the front drive, that can record when it senses movement on a memory card? Similar to dashcams; overwrite itself until I need to view the video.

Is motion sensing even possible through a window? I'd like to avoid drilling any holes through to the house just to keep it clean and avoid any draughts etc.

My DIY ability is in the beginners area. I can put together flatpack and can use a drill well enough.

Budget would probably be up to £100 for something that does the job well.
XE R Sport 240 MY16 | Bluefire / Jet Blue | Black / Privacy / Cold Climate / Parking pack

PaulC

Re: Need an outdoor camera

Post by PaulC » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:43 pm

All my cameras are Hikvision IP cameras writing to my own 20TB storage array which keeps about 12 months of motion activated footage... couldn't recommend them highly enough (although maybe too advanced and pricey for your requirement) - however, they do have some cameras that write to an SD card so might be worth a look - not used one myself, but if they're like the rest of the range you won't be disappointed. They are more professional bits of kit than these toys from nest and the likes.

h11pyd

Post by h11pyd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am

I have a couple of Arlo cameras, one over each car and the setup/use is extremely easy. Being WiFi and battery powered there is no need for wires. Couple of downsides - the colder weather seems to be killing batteries quicker and if your WiFi signal strength isn’t good you get a lag between motion and recording, so a quicker moving object won’t be recorded I.e. someone on a bike cycling past just gives me a video of after they have passed by. If you plan on having the cameras indoors these might not be issues for you.
MY16 XE R-Sport petrol.

allroadusa

Post by allroadusa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 am

I spent years try to find reliable and easy to use IP cameras...did try tons of known and cheap/china brands. Was not fully satisfied...Until recently when I found probably some of the best products on the consumer market : https://reolink.com/. Strong Wifi, incredible image quality (4K), very easy to setup and stable/reliable. Very happy.
Jaguar XE 180hp 2.0d Prestige BVM6
Porsche Panamera 4.8 Turbo 500hp PDK
Renault Scenic IV dci 105hp EDC

BLZeebub

Post by BLZeebub » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:15 am

I've got a 3 camera Arlo setup. All the various options have pro's and con's and the Arlo isn't cheap but it has been effective at notifying me and the peace of mind when away for the last 2 weeks was worth the cost.

I have heard good things about the Hikvision from one of those civilian/PCSO types.

B-)
MY17 All Black R-Sport 180D AWD with some gadgets. B-)

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Check out the Yi cameras on Amazon, I have an indoor and outdoor, both great for the money.