JLR roadtrip

The place to discuss everything else..
PFGMG

JLR roadtrip

Post by PFGMG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello everyone,

In two weeks we will be making a small road trip from the Netherlands to the United Kingdom to do a factory tour at the Solihull manufacturing plant, and to visit Classic works for a tour. Of course we will travel by XE.

This is the second time visiting the UK, but I have never driven on the left side before.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for driving in the UK? (roundabouts, M1, etc.) And visiting the UK in general?

Thanks in advance,

PFGMG
Jaguar XE 20T prestige Santorini black
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5208

XES Owner

Re: JLR roadtrip

Post by XES Owner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi PFGMG - Hope you enjoy your trip to the UK driving on our roads, some of which could and should be in a better condition.
To get to know the foibles of UK roads I suggest reading the UK Highway Code - Every road user is supposed to be fully familiar with it.
I offer a link:

https://thehighway-code.co.uk/highway/code/uk/uk.html

I trust this will help.

KevinInSuffolkUK

Post by KevinInSuffolkUK » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Hi PFGMG - are you coming via the Hook - Harwich route ?
If so watch out for the first roundabout as you leave the port at Harwich - seen a few Dutch drivers go round that one the wrong way ;)
MY18, Narvic Black, Latte/Light Oyster, Prestige Auto Petrol 200PS
Parking Pack, 10way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, Gloss Figured Ebony Veneer, 40/20/40, premium mats

BevC

Post by BevC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am

Depending on your route, there are currently lots of roadworks on the A14 (which leads from the east coast to the west) and the M6 (one of the motorways near the Solihull plant). It might be worthwhile temporarily changing your units from kph to mph to ensure you don’t accidentally exceed the speed limit, as all these works have average speed cameras. The other thing I find invaluable on our sat nav is the way they show junctions on the motorways, including the lanes.

I hope you have a lovely journey and enjoy your visit.
Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180AWD

Langesliert

Post by Langesliert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am

Goedemorgen!

I have driven with my dutch car two times in the UK now. First time to the Highlands en second time Snowdonia and Lake district.
Only not with my XE unfortunately ;-)
What helps for me was reminding me and my co-pilot (wife) constantly of "LEFT and short bend, long bend" (LINKS en korte bocht, lange bocht als soort mantra). Further on just follow all the other people, mostly english by the way, when driving.
I didn't find it hard to adjust. Made one little mistake in my 2 vacations there and the english gentleman just passed me on his wrong side. No harm done.
Roundabouts are funny, specially first few times. It's a strange idea going on it "the wrong side".
BevC's idea of changing to miles can be smart too. I had a little post-it with the speed limits from mile to kilometer first few days.
Also Flitsmeister helps a lot.

Enjoy GB!
2015 XE Prestige diesel auto with 163 hp and colour Corris Grey

PFGMG

Post by PFGMG » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:43 am

XES Owner wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 pm
Hi PFGMG - Hope you enjoy your trip to the UK driving on our roads, some of which could and should be in a better condition.
To get to know the foibles of UK roads I suggest reading the UK Highway Code - Every road user is supposed to be fully familiar with it.
I offer a link:

https://thehighway-code.co.uk/highway/code/uk/uk.html

I trust this will help.
I just read the Highway Code, luckaly a lot of the rules are the same as in the Netherlands. Made the Mock theory test as well, but it wasn't a "succes".
KevinInSuffolkUK wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:58 pm
Hi PFGMG - are you coming via the Hook - Harwich route ?
If so watch out for the first roundabout as you leave the port at Harwich - seen a few Dutch drivers go round that one the wrong way ;)
We will actually be traveling from Calais to Folkestone with the Eurotunnel, I will keep note of trying to take roundabouts correctly XD. Seems like UK roundabouts always have multiple lanes, so fingers crossed.
BevC wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am
Depending on your route, there are currently lots of roadworks on the A14 (which leads from the east coast to the west) and the M6 (one of the motorways near the Solihull plant). It might be worthwhile temporarily changing your units from kph to mph to ensure you don’t accidentally exceed the speed limit, as all these works have average speed cameras. The other thing I find invaluable on our sat nav is the way they show junctions on the motorways, including the lanes.

I hope you have a lovely journey and enjoy your visit.
We will be taking the shortest route from Folkestone to Coventry (since we will first visit Classic Works). So the M20 (from Folkestone to Maidstone) followed by the A2/ M2 (to Dartford), then the M25 (all the way up to Watford), and then connect to the M1 (up to Kilsby), and finally the M45 to Coventry/ Classic Works. Is this a good route? Or would you advice a different one? We will be taking two days to drive the route, and do an overnight in Milton Keynes.

Thanks for the tip on changing from kph to mph! didn't think of this yet. Certainly even better is the tip on average speed cameras! Thanks!
Langesliert wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am
Goedemorgen!

I have driven with my dutch car two times in the UK now. First time to the Highlands en second time Snowdonia and Lake district.
Only not with my XE unfortunately ;-)
What helps for me was reminding me and my co-pilot (wife) constantly of "LEFT and short bend, long bend" (LINKS en korte bocht, lange bocht als soort mantra). Further on just follow all the other people, mostly english by the way, when driving.
I didn't find it hard to adjust. Made one little mistake in my 2 vacations there and the english gentleman just passed me on his wrong side. No harm done.
Roundabouts are funny, specially first few times. It's a strange idea going on it "the wrong side".
BevC's idea of changing to miles can be smart too. I had a little post-it with the speed limits from mile to kilometer first few days.
Also Flitsmeister helps a lot.

Enjoy GB!
Thanks for the info! luckily with modern technology and the tip from BevC it will be much easier to adjust to driving on the left. Didn't know Flitsmeister was available in GB!!! will certainly use it, since I use it a lot in the Netherlands!

Thank you everyone for the replies!
Jaguar XE 20T prestige Santorini black
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5208

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am

Another tip is to make an Arrow and put it where you can always see it on the dashboard, i used to do this on my motorcycle when going 'abroad', then reversing it when coming home in the UK, just as a reminder of which side to drive/ride on. Only once did i make the mistake, pulling out of a fuel station, and that was pre- arrow.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

ms1012

Post by ms1012 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 am

Another vote for the arrow, I've seen people put a small post-it with the arrow either in a discreet place on the dashboard, or even behind the steering wheel or in front of the dashboard displays...
MY 2016 180D XE Portfolio - Corris Grey - Nokian WD4 winters

Jagxesmn

Post by Jagxesmn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:38 am

I live in the UK so drive on the left of course! Having driven on the right in Europe and US I found the only time I made a mistake was when I returned to the UK and set off down the wrong side of an empty road! Probably I was concentrating fully when abroad because it was unfamiliar so made no mistakes then relaxed into "autopilot" when back on home territory.
So, take care when you get back to Holland too. (Or maybe I'm just odd!!!!)

Rgds
Steve
XES, MY17, IRR, red interior, 20" alloys, black pack

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”