Vespa

HID bulbs

Post by Vespa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 pm

180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

UV Blue

Re: HID bulbs

Post by UV Blue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:46 pm

wow, I didn't know this,

I read the piece - Hmnnn, I wonder if due to the nature of the gases and salts in the bulbs that they also age even when they are not illuminated??

thanks for the info Vespa.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:29 pm

UV Blue wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:46 pm
wow, I didn't know this,

I read the piece - Hmnnn, I wonder if due to the nature of the gases and salts in the bulbs that they also age even when they are not illuminated??

thanks for the info Vespa.
I didn't either. I thought that they were life of car items. The bulbs vary in price each from £70- £120 depending on make. :shock:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 am

An interesting read. It is also interesting that the research was done by a company who sell bulbs, who also then recommend that they are replaced every 5 years.
2018MY R Sport. 240bhp AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 am
An interesting read. It is also interesting that the research was done by a company who sell bulbs, who also then recommend that they are replaced every 5 years.
I must admit, that was my first observation, as well...

I have to say that I'm still happy with the brightness of the original-fit Xenons on my Insipid that have been there since 2009, although I do appreciate that the human, or even the giant atomic lizard, brain is not good at spotting slow changes in thing like light levels :shock:
Waiting to retire, so I can buy a Portfolio 250, with all the toys I can sneak past SWMBO :lol:

XES Owner

Post by XES Owner » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:09 am

I had a Volvo S60 with bi Xenon headlights and I must say after 13 years, whilst they may have deteriorated over that time, I actually never noticed as they lit the road up admirably on both dip and full beam. So my conclusion only change the bulbs if you really notice any difference. As Mikeyjd points out, of course a manufacturer wants you to replace old items - after all Jaguar would like you to replace your Jaguar every 3 years or sooner, then you wouldn't have to worry about replacing your headlight bulbs every 5 years !! :roll: :lol:

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 am

I was under the impression that HiD was just another name for Xenons but apparently not.
There seem to be various types of HiD and Xenons are just one type.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object ... n-and-hid/
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Bluefire

Post by Bluefire » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:31 am

Had to replace one in the F-Type a couple of weeks ago.

It was coming on then flickering and going out, so I thought it was the drive unit and called Jag Assist to come and sort it - trying to get booked in at my local Jag garage is a joke now.

Turns out it was actually the bulb - he offered to leave the ticket open and come back to replace it, but since the part was only covered under warranty during a Jag warranty MOT (interesting one) I said I'd pop and get one myself.
He showed me how to do it - couple of M6 bolts to remove the fuse box out the way and the lever to move to release the bulb - simple as.

As as aside my wife once had a Vitara GV2000 with the urethane front cow catcher (yeah, I know!) and supposedly you had to take that off if you wanted to change a sidelight bulb! Never found out, but when the kickdown cable broke and Suzuki told me they'd have to drop the engine or something daft like that to replace it an electrician's terminal block did the trick very nicely and for years to come.

When I looked, all the supposedly high output versions seem to be totally the wrong Kelvin range, so I just got a Halfrauds D3S. It is recommended to replace both sides at once, due to the deterioration over time, but I'd wager anyone to tell the difference in output or colour temp on mine.

I do seem to have condensation in that headlight unit so wonder if that caused the bulb's early demise. I've kept the old one to put back in before I take it in to claim a new unit under warranty and see what they say about consequential failure. And of course if that doesn't work I can always pop it back in before the MOT ;)
2.0 200 Bluefire R-Sport
Templar wheels, Meridian sound, Advanced parking, Climate pack + Heated rear, Aluminium Paddles - of course :)

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”