Screenwash

The place to discuss everything else..
Langesliert

Re: Screenwash

Post by Langesliert » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 am

I still have to fill my XE up for the first time (its not empty yet) but i also use all kinds of aftermarktet screenwash.
Never had any problem in any car in hot or cold weather.
I never even considered that there IS Jaguar screenwash!
I'm off to Austria this evening, so i think i will use a lot of screenwash this trip in winter conditions.
2015 XE Prestige diesel auto with 163 hp and colour Corris Grey

BevC

Post by BevC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:59 am

Having had a car for 35 years I have never encountered any problems with washer fluid gunking up the system. It may stop working because the nozzles on the bonnet freeze or the plastic tubes start to age and become brittle, but that takes a number of years. It strikes me that this may be a manufacturer problem that they don’t wish to accept due to costs involved rather than problems with fluid. I can’t imagine fluid manufacturers wanting to pay the bills of motorists whose system has been rendered inoperative.

I remember seeing articles a few years back about lorry drivers getting Legionnaires disease through NOT adding anything to the water, so advice has always been to add something to the water.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

BRC

Post by BRC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:53 am

Only time I ever experienced gumming up was many, many moons ago when I ill advisedly used to put Fairy liquid into washer bottle(s). If you left it too long it would start to clump but I'm led to believe the formulations changes since then now mean FL is unlikely to gum up. Nowadays I simply put in whatever comes to hand in the garage and if it's got a nice meths smell to it then so much the better. :D
Perhaps I'm being unkind to my wiper blades but frankly I don't care :shock:, call me a maverick if you wish.
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Whatever my wife picks up at Supermarket. No issues with gunking up.

When I used to commute weekly to Newcastle or Aberdeen late nineties early naughties then the nozzles would freeze over when not parked in garage (frost not the wash mix) before i even got started and would not defrost untill the evening drive to the b&b or flat.

Solution was squirty water bottle full of real strong mixture and a pre wet cloth in a bag inside the car then stop at a laybye every 25 - 30miles. Once followed a car for 140 miles in heavy fog pulling into same laybyes 7 times to wash lights and screen. I think the first two times he thought me a mad stalker before realising we both used the same method :o My daughter still carries my old squeezy bottle - sometimes they listen but after arriving with a filthy screen and frozen washers it was a real easy accept.

Just dont try to open the window and squirt while driving along........you will only do it once.
XE R Sport 30t AWD, Loire Blue, MY19, full dynamics, 18 way seats, privacy glass. 25-10-2018. 2nd Jag.

1st Jag S type 2.5 V6. Sapphire Blue. New in Nov 2003 til Aug 2017. Armchair on wheels that cornered on rails.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

From all these replies it looks as BMW screenwash is incompatible with other makes. Maybe they use it as an excuse to get £170 out of mugs to replace faulty parts?????

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Nicely timed test of screenwash's, nice to know as i use the halfords stuff, that came 2nd.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessori ... ash-to-buy
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:09 am

Do you use the super concentrate tested? The ready mixed stuff is poor compared to the Prestone tested that for summer use is really economical and really good at bug shifting.

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am

Yes, as i don't see why i should pay extra for water, when it is literally available 'on tap'. my mix is not measured, just a bit of that and a lot of that, depending on the season i'm using it in. Seems to work for me.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

I haven't used the super conc from Halfords but wasn't impressed with the ready mix so that's how I latched onto the Prestone stuff which is excellent. It has to be the -23C stuff though as they also do a -10C which, for some reason is nowhere near as good as the -23C version even when that's diluted. I can't remember the dilution for summer but I think it's 1:19 and mild winter 1:9. I have made up two 5 ltrs a few weeks back.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 pm

I've used the Halfrauds pre mixed for years without issue. The -10Deg stuff is good, they also used to do a -27Deg one which I've never managed to freeze. Not the best at cleaning the glass, but stays liquid at the coldest UK temperatures.

Gunged up screenwash bottles are usually caused by microbial growth. Microbes can grow in pretty much anything, but a good premixed screenwash usually stays bug free.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!