Smart Motorways (Again)

The place to discuss everything else..
pauljobr

Re: Smart Motorways (Again)

Post by pauljobr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 am

I have noticed that on the M1 around Milton Keynes the road works are taking a bit longer as they appear to be adding in more safety laybys than were originally planned. The current distance appears to be about 1 mile apart where as they were going to be about 2 miles apart until the press coverage just over a year ago.
I believe the originally tested smart motorways were supposed to have the laybys about 1/2 mile apart, but can't be sure myself.
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.
XKR, X100 4.2-s Copper Black, Ivory leather.

Previous:
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:57 pm

Prestige wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:08 am
In Dec 19 my local newspaper ( following yet another M6 shunt in the Stafford/Stoke area smart section) requested readers to contact the MP Sir Bill Cash with opinions on the smart motorway roll out. I duly did so,with a very negative response citing the record of local reported problems and personal experience. Yesterday I received a reply from a Baroness Vere of Norbiton ( not the MP) telling me that " Highways England's own review of all lane running smart motorways in early 2018 found that they are at least as safe as traditional motorways" and " further evidence from breakdown organisations shows that most hard shoulder stops are unnecessary and drivers are putting themselves at greater risk by opting to stop on the hard shoulder rather than exiting the motorway at the next junction".
So.....we are all wrong and "smart"motorways are seemingly just misunderstood !
The Highways Agency claim that smart motorways are as safe or safer than non-smart ones is just a bit of statistical manipulation. On smart motorways the extra danger introduced by having no hard shoulder is statistically offset by the other measures introduced (variable speed limits etc). But that's not much help if your car gets hit when unavoidably stopped on what was the hard shoulder. You can have the other safety measures without hard shoulder running.
And as for the current TV "Go Left" TV adverts these imply, quite erroneously, that motorists don't know that they should go to the left and seek out a refuge if they experience car problems. So it's the motorist's fault if his car gets hit on what was the hard shoulder because he should have got into a refuge. The advert shows a dashboard warning light coming on to alert the driver to seek out a refuge and this he can do if the car keeps going, but what if he has a puncture or has an electrical failure that shuts down the engine? I think this Highways Agency advert is just an attempt at responsibility-shifting and is a disgrace.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Geoffscat

Post by Geoffscat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:58 pm

I think that the committee or whatever that are looking into their safety should be forced into a situation where they have to stop on the hard shoulder . Those that survive will be able to report on their findings .

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:14 pm

Sitting on the hard shoulder is scary enough....
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

BevC

Post by BevC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 pm

Looks like there may be a bit of a rethink now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56815522
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual