Smart Motorways (Again)

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Smart Motorways (Again)

Post by BevC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:06 am

I read with interest this morning that a group of MPs are calling for the rollout of smart motorways to stop due to safety concerns for recovery workers and motorists because there is no hard shoulder. Apparently Highways England believes they are safe. This one will be interesting to watch.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

PhilB

Re: Smart Motorways (Again)

Post by PhilB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:25 am

I read the same thing too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46553654

The cynic in me says it's a much cheaper way of adding a fourth lane.
Doing away with a hard shoulder is mind-numbingly stupid.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 am

I'm not sure why those that should know better ignore the obvious whilst suggesting they know best. Smart motorways is just about the dumbest idea ever.
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am

BRC wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 am
I'm not sure why those that should know better ignore the obvious whilst suggesting they know best. Smart motorways is just about the dumbest idea ever.
Just read the article and i Agree with these comments,

And In the event of an accident, because all the traffic grinds to a halt, the emergency services cannot get through simply because the hard shoulder is now blocked, all the design group look at is to keep traffic moving.
Must be the same group that fit 'cheese wire' barriers on the motorways and dual carriageways, slicing cars and motorcyclists badly in an accident (they are really designed to stop a truck).

I have travelled on a few of these 'smart' dumb motorways when there is almost no traffic, and the signs still show 40 or 50 MPH, obviously to use the cameras to raise revenue if you transgress them, or am i being too cynical. :roll:
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 to Sept 20 : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
Oct '20 on : Eiger grey, 1st Edition F Type P300 coupe, MY2021

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm

It's crazy. I have been in the Fire Service for 30 years. In a serious motorway incident the hard shoulder is vital for access. Using the hard shoulder as an extra lane is just a cheap way of adding lanes. No matter how the government try to dress it up, it is a joke.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Hear all the objections but "a cheap way of adding more lanes" sounds terrific. I drive on the M25 a lot and the areas that have smart lanes seem to work pretty well.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 pm

HaloJones wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:44 pm
Hear all the objections but "a cheap way of adding more lanes" sounds terrific. I drive on the M25 a lot and the areas that have smart lanes seem to work pretty well.
They will work fine until something goes wrong. They are there for emergencies. If/when there is a serious incident, it won't be so "terrific" if ambulances, fire service and police are delayed.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

XE123

Post by XE123 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm

I drive up and down a stretch of the M54 very frequently. It's only 2 lanes and can be annoying sometimes when there are two lorries overtaking each other. However, I'd still rather it be like that than have a "Smart" motorway that would potentially leave me or a loved one stuck in a live traffic lane if they were to ever have car trouble!
I would say I pass at least 2 stopped vehicles a week on that road, each of which becomes a serious hazard if that road is a smart motorway.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:22 pm

There are quite a few bits of "Smart" motorway near me (M25) and they all still have a hard shoulder.
This particular issue is where they "convert" what was the hard shoulder into another lane and that is wrong in so many ways.
I love the M25 around Heathrow northbound.
What is it 6 lanes?
Everybody still driving in the lanes 5 and 6 as usual!
:lol:
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Bluefire

Post by Bluefire » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 pm

I experienced 2 years of roadworks on the M3 for this.

What annoys me is the nanny state use of the matrix signs and speed restrictions. You get warnings from 5 signs out, only to get to the scene of the incident to find that a car has pulled into the safety lay-by (these used to be called hard shoulders!) - where there is even a convenient box to show you where you must park! Maybe they'll issue tickets if your wheels are over the lines of the box?
...and yet the signs are still on - often even after the lay-by - why?

Sorry, but for me the whole thing is a joke - seriously increases risk in an incident, and is another "we know best" approach to how to travel in a car.

Sure there are plenty of drivers out there who don't seem to bother to look and plan ahead or even concentrate - knowing that those around will do so for them - for me the money should have been spent on unmarked vans with big boxing gloves that spring out and push cars back into the inside lanes!

Rant over - and yes it's been a long weekend of getting stuff done and i'm tired and sore and it's Monday tomorrow!

Nighty night.
2.0 200 Bluefire R-Sport
Templar wheels, Meridian sound, Advanced parking, Climate pack + Heated rear, Aluminium Paddles - of course :)