Smart Motorways (Again)

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 732

Re: Smart Motorways (Again)

Post by Deleted User 732 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Panorama tonight is devoted to these dangerways.

BevC

Post by BevC » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am

The terrifying thing was listening to the phone call of a guy who had broken down say “oh s***” and then a sickening bang just seconds after he had stopped. There is radar on only 2 sections of the M25, one sign board had been out for nearly a year, it takes over 30 minutes for rescue to take place and near misses have gone up hugely (some of these they showed were horrendous). Good idea? Baaah!
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 am

I have not watched it yet but it is about time that the inside lane was put back to a hard shoulder asap until some idiot gets it all correct with the refuges at the correct intervals. At present I am using "A" roads in preference when we do manage to venture out. I am sick and tired of hearing of crashes on the M6 & M62 in the same places, day in day out, in the same sections. At the time of writing this there is currently 1 crash and holdups on the M62 From Burtonwood to Manchester and on the M6 from North Wigan to the M56. These will inevitably have crashes on them in the next hour and will cause more mayhem.

BRC

Post by BRC » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 am

I oft say there are certain UK organisations who are totally out of control and accountable to no one whilst they continue to make up their own rules. Primarily I would rate HMRC as one such followed by Highways England, DVLA and the DWP.
Highways England should be bought to task and if necessary those who sanctioned the changes to design should in turn be charged with corporate manslaughter. Additionally there should be a complete change of management in favour of those with the most valuable qualification - common sense.
As for reviewing and reconsidering the way forward then there is only one solution, re-instate hard shoulders immediately. If you feel an additional lane is required then do it properly and create one and do not change the purpose of an existing one!
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 am

I've just been down on the M4 where they are putting it in between Heathrow and Reading.
Just a cheap way of creating an extra lane.
Unfortunately for them on the "old" M4 the bridges built in the 60's cut into the hard shoulder which wasn't an issue but it means they have to replace the bridges to get a full extra lane.
Thing is though, having lived here for 30 years I've never seen most of it heavily congested so why it needs another lane beggars belief.
No wait!!!
It will have the speed cameras won't it?
Can't miss a bit of extra revenue can we?
:roll:
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pm

The terrifying thing was listening to the phone call of a guy who had broken down say “oh s***” and then a sickening bang just seconds after he had stopped.
It was indeed horrid to listen to and frightening especially with children in the car.

Not wishing the facts to spoil a good story but it didnt actually happen on a smart motorway. It was in a coned temporary lane section of road works.

This suprised me as it has has been quoted many times as a reason why smart motorways are dangerous.
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Changes are being made.
Not sure if they go far enough though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51851421
2019 Evoque P300 HSE - now gone awaiting the "Beast from the West" est end of 2021
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:08 am

In Dec 19 my local newspaper ( following yet another M6 shunt in the Stafford/Stoke area smart section) requested readers to contact the MP Sir Bill Cash with opinions on the smart motorway roll out. I duly did so,with a very negative response citing the record of local reported problems and personal experience. Yesterday I received a reply from a Baroness Vere of Norbiton ( not the MP) telling me that " Highways England's own review of all lane running smart motorways in early 2018 found that they are at least as safe as traditional motorways" and " further evidence from breakdown organisations shows that most hard shoulder stops are unnecessary and drivers are putting themselves at greater risk by opting to stop on the hard shoulder rather than exiting the motorway at the next junction".
So.....we are all wrong and "smart"motorways are seemingly just misunderstood !
2018 200ps Prestige in Corris Grey.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:25 pm

They seem to forget that the hard shoulder is also used by emergency vehicles to get to the scene of an accident when there is a tailback of traffic.
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

BevC

Post by BevC » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:28 am

Interesting new report - I wonder what the response to this will be.

https://news.sky.com/story/smart-motorw ... s-12263368
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual