Smart Motorways (Again)

The place to discuss everything else..
capese21

Re: Smart Motorways (Again)

Post by capese21 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm

The accidents were in the outside lanes so having a hard shoulder would have made no difference. Accidents on normal A & B roads have increased to.
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm

capese21 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm
The accidents were in the outside lanes so having a hard shoulder would have made no difference. Accidents on normal A & B roads have increased to.
Perhaps in the outside lanes because no one knows where they are supposed to go when they breakdown! :o :(
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 am

capese21 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm
On these 'smart motorways' you may actually be safer breaking down in the outside lane, at least you wouldn't have a 40 ton hgv coming up behind you! :o
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

BevC

Post by BevC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Interesting survey done by the AA

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/70-per-cent-drivers-think-3433109
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 am

As I was reading this BBC Northwest news was on and around me are the M6, M60/2 and M56. On the M56 a crash and M6 a crash and M62 The latteris being converted to smart a**e motorway near me the M6 is already done (started 903 BC or that seems like how long it's been in transition) and the M56 is a crash, that happens at least twice a week at Hapsford nr Chester. That section of road is a very busy complex merger of motorway and a major A road. It is a junction that is far too fast and needs speed regulation at busy times. This is wear a bit of smart motorway tech would be useful ie speed cameras and speed indicator gantries. The same will be applied to the M6/M62 jnc soon and hopefully to the M6/M56 junction. The idea of removing hard shoulders is stupid on such fast roads. We are not talking 70 mph as many exceed that limit upto 20mph+

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Thought I would throw my 2p's worth into this conversation since (and I probably shouldn't say this as I'll be immediately banned from this forum :lol:) I worked for the company that developed this concept and I'm still in a similar line of work :lol:

Admittedly I haven't read through the whole 8 pages of this conversation so I might be re-iterating what some others may have said, however from what I have read I think there are a couple of things to know about them;

- Whilst there is 100% CCTV coverage on these parts of the network and they are monitored, as you can imagine that is a huge amount of miles that need covering so the operators won't be actively looking for breakdowns etc. as it's very unlikely that they would be able to catch them when they happen. The idea here is that the technology on the road, such as MIDAS loops will pick up that the traffic is slowing and then this will alert the operators who will then check this out on the cameras. Queue protection should automatically kick in the gantries to protect the back of the queue, however if the breakdown is late at night then it's likely that there won't be a significant slow down in traffic so unfortunately things might get missed. The best course of action is to get out of the car and off the network. As someone has said, long before Smart Motorways were built lorrys were still piling into the back of cars on the hard shoulder.
- There will be emergency refuge areas located along the network which it is best to stop in, I would think that very few breakdowns happen with an immediate catastrophic failure (although this will happen from time to time) so I think there is a need for education of drivers to not try and make it to the next junction and instead stop in the ERA's and use the emergency telephones

I think regardless of what people believe the reasons are behind Smart Motorways, we all want more capacity on the road and for it to flow better and this isn't always achievable by widening the motorway as there isn't always the land there to take so by turning what is largely unused hard shoulder into a running lane allows Highways England to achieve this!
2016 XE-S in Ultimate Black with 20" Propeller Alloys

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm

If I get a puncture, my immediate reaction is to stop as quickly as possible, as far to the nearside as I can, not drive up to a mile and a half before doing so (the last two punctures that I have suffered have been on a trailer, and both on the M6). My car does not have a spare (both my trailers do!), so if I drive the potential mile and a half I will almost certainly wreck the wheel, and the tyre will definitely be shredded, so no amount of 'goo' will re-inflate it, which will mean I will have to be lifted off the carriageway anyway. No safety there whatsoever, never mind the needless cost! Or am I wrong, does nobody get punctures any more, or just not on Smart motorways?
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

BRC

Post by BRC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Trust me Mike neither you nor I can even begin to dream up the hazard scenarios that will eventually play out. It'll be interesting to see what spin is put on "smart motorways" in order to justify the ridiculous notion these are also safe. Meanwhile the poor sods who die will be blamed for not operating within the motorway regime we are all so intimate with and that all will follow to the letter. Dream on!
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

BevC

Post by BevC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 pm

A few coroners so far have raised questions about the safety of smart motorways following deaths. There is a rush to make motorways smart without considering the statistics gathered so far. It may be sensible to stop any more being done. I still believe that in a few years time the live running lane system will be converted back to a hard shoulder.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:37 pm

You really couldn't make it up......in response to current increasing concerns about crashes on "smart" motorways Jim O'Sullivan CEO of Highways England blames bad driving,nothing wrong with the roads ! Unfortunately as with HS2 the numpties have already wasted far too much of our cash on these mad projects to readily admit that it was/is a very very bad idea.
The M6 in Staffordshire seems currently to have daily shunts in the "smart" lanes and/or the roadworks building them. Many of these serious and very time disruptive.
I personally tend to avoid motorways wherever possible ( I spent my daily working life commuting to Birmingham/ Black Country from Staffs on the M6) and want it no more.
The powers that be will only take notice when a major incident,involving multiple fatalities,occurs and the media turns.....even then they will seek to blame the drivers,never the crackpot scheme.
I have only seen one bad "smart" motorway incident thus far which seemed to be 2 people carriers carrying Asian families with loads of kids with one suffering a puncture on the former hard shoulder.The other stopping behind it ( on hazards) I presume to help to get the kids onto the verge. It was dark and wet and indeed could have been the " major incident" but luckily traffic was light and considerate.
It can all only end in tears !
2018 200ps Prestige in Corris Grey.