Smart Motorways (Again)

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 732

Re: Smart Motorways (Again)

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 am

There is no proper planning on the roads systems, be it national or local. I am sick and tired of planners in my town putting traffic lights everywhere which in many cases are totally unecessary. We have a major river crossing that screws up traffic flow at busy times due to the fact that nobody has every thought of making the available road sytem one way. If they had done that the traffic would flow without the need for the vast array of traffic lights causing mayhem at present. They have blocked off all reasonable town centre access to cars and buses get priority at busy times with bus lanes. That maybe OK with a large movement of buses but one every half an hour doesn't warrant bus lanes with cameras at busy times. On the outskirts we have the M62,M6 and M56 all of which seem to have constant road works. The M6 / M62 junction has had roadworks on it for the last 20 years and still they haven't sorted it. The M62 is now getting the smart A*S* treatment to cause more travel disruption. One crash here (nearly daily) brings the town to a stop as people try to find alternative routes. I assume that the motorway project was given to 6 year olds from St Austins as a painting excersise.

lexie

Post by lexie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:54 pm

The M27 between Southampton and Portsmouth is currently being 'upgraded' to a smart motorway. Work began at the end of 2018 and is scheduled until 2021! The lane and speed restriction are over 15miles, which I find a real challenge as I really am struggling to concentrate and stay awake after more than 10 miles of the thump thump monotony at a constant 50 mph. Every day in rush hour there's an announcement of an incident closing a lane (probably people falling asleep) as this road is always rammed, so I can't see much value in converting the hard shoulder as the probability of creating another lane and more capacity at peak times is questionable. As other have mentioned, one of the main problems again with this motorway is that traffic gets stuck at junctions when leaving, which isn't changing. There also doesn't seem to be any refuge areas yet, so it's difficult to see where today's breakdowns will end up in the future other than recreating the hard shoulder..

Perhaps they are called 'smart' motorways because the make us smart with pain! If these motorways were a teeny bit clever the variable speed limit would go up as well as down i.e. it would change to 85mph+ when the road is quiet and weather conditions good. (on the basis that a large proportion of traffic is doing 80mph ordinarily, like the rest of europe and the current speed limit was introduced when cars had drum brakes and cross ply tyres).
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:37 pm

There is little point in adding capacity to the Motorway when they don't improve the exit junctions which is were the hold ups start.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Furthur driver surveys are showing that drivers feel very unsafe on these smart motorways and some are finding alternative routes to avoid them. I read somewhere that Highways England is now considering reverting back to the hard shoulder motorways system. I will believe that when I see it.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/68-of-drivers-say-smart-motorways-compromise-safety/

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:28 am

I got a taste of Lexie’s pain yesterday on the M27 - virtually the whole length of the motorway. I seem to recall that when it was conceived the M27 was supposed to run the length of the south coast, which never happened.
Unusually I was sat in the passenger seat and had the chance to take in the smart motorway bit of the M1 through Northamptonshire. If the M25 and M6 are the Rolls Royce of smart motorways, the M1 is the pound shop version. There are very few overhead gantries, just boards at the side of the road which I’m sure will be easy to miss if there are large lorries at the crucial time. My other horrified moment came when I saw the refuge areas. How on earth are you supposed to safely rejoin the motorway from one of these? They only just look big enough to accommodate an HGV and I can’t see there is any way to get to motorway speed before rejoining. It is so bad that in future I will be tempted to use the A5 (which runs parallel) in preference to the M1.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Aviator

Post by Aviator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Interesting to read that the AA have told patrols not to attend breakdowns on (un)smart motorways. It will be down to the highways people to tow the broken down vehicle to a place of safety to be repaired.
17 Plate XE Prestige Petrol (2018MY) in Firenze Red

BevC

Post by BevC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Not going so well for Smart motorways - when will they learn?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51236375
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Well I never, deaths on "smart motorways", who'd could have seen that coming. Answer just about anyone with an IQ greater than that of an amoeba!
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 am

Is that a rap singer?

spritely

Post by spritely » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:15 pm

If it was a rap singer then he would only have had a tiny impact. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.